1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Yogi's Funtastic Treasure Hunt

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Tobias, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I just bought an old VHS from a video store and I realized just how much I loved this show. It wasn't as preachy as 'Yogi's Gang' and had cameos from just about every major HB star from the 60's.

Any other Treasure Hunt fans?

2. TheBlueHombre

TheBlueHombre Member

I liked "Yogi's Treasure Hunt." It was a great show. I liked all of the Yogi and crew incarnations except for "Yogi's Space Race" and "Galaxy Goofups."

I would buy a DVD box set of all episodes of "Treasure Hunt" in a heartbeat.

3. Mittenz

Mittenz Loud.Electronic.Ferocious .

Is that the show where uhhhh... you know. They have that theme song that's a spoof of "Fantastic Voyage." Is that it?

4. shaman_mya19

shaman_mya19 giant robot fan

meeeeeeeeeee i still have one of the tapes!! with the mona lisa the painting!! time to do the can can!! *does it off stage* everyone: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

5. Doyng

Doyng Member

:)

I remember Yogi's Treasure Hunt on The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. I watched it through syndication on Sunday mornings on Ch. 4 (an NBC affiliate in NY). This show introduced me to Dick Dastardly and Muttley. I didn't know they were characters from the 60's. I thought they were newly created for the series. This was a big improvement from the rest of his spin-offs.

Yogi's Gang wasn't a favorite of mine. An obvious attempt to jump the moral
    bandwagon, thanks to groups like ACT who demanded that childrens programs
    were filled with moral and environmental messages. No slapstick or violence was allowed in the early 70's. See the Superfriends '73 for the same results.
    This proves that by retooling famous toons to fit with the fad/current events of the era is a recipe for disaster.

Yogi's Space Race was an O.K. effort, but the stories and animation were slopppy.

The Galaxy Goof-ups was a favorite of mine. The theme song was discofied.
    Quack-Up and Scarebear were hilarious. I'll excuse the poor stories and animation.

Yo, Yogi was a clone of "Pup Named Scooby Doo." Still, I liked this one and some of the classic HB characters returning to the small screen.

No matter what, The classic Yogi Bear show is what made him as popular and enduring as he is today;)

6. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

I remember that show. I always loved hearing the ending theme.

7. Howard Fein

Howard Fein Member

TREASURE HUNT's theme song was pretty much hip-hop/rap, which was fully enmeshed in popular culture by 1985.

Despite the show appearing to be a tiresome blend of classic character reunion and comedy/mystery caper, TREASURE HUNT was great! Many future writers that would revitalize WB animation in the nineties with TINY TOONS and ANIMANIACS :yakko: :wakko: :dot: worked on it. The likes of Tom Ruegger, Earl Kress, Charles Howell IV, Gordon Bressack and John Ludin infused an endearing level of character parody and fourth-wall breaking while maintaining the minimal suspense and intrigue required of the premise. There were also plentiful cameos of lesser-known H-B characters. (This was before fourth-wall breaking and cameos became signs of writers' laziness and cliche around the mid-nineties!)

There were some obvious objects of satire, such as when the gang goes undercover at a TV station (openly acknowledged by Huck informing the audience "Course, now we get to do a bunch of tahred TV parodies.":D ). But a lot of the self-awareness was extremely clever:

-After Yogi utters a typically convoluted semi-rhyming statement, Boo-Boo turns to the camera and deadpans "You know, Yogi's rhymes are really starting to get on my nerves."

-Snooper and Blabber are brainwashed by Dastardly & Muttley to chant the key phrase of their long-ago series: "Stop the pigeon- stop the pigeon=":anime:

-An entire episode is a hilarious 60 MINUTES parody, with 'Mike Walnuts' exposing the gang as a fraud, and 'Andy Kangerooney' interrupting a chase scene with a whining commentary asserting that when the writers are stuck for an idea, they stick in a tired chase scene!

Daws Butler still was able to perform most of his famous characters well, except until the last limited order of original episodes, which were released in fall 1987- about seven months prior to his passing. As with most classic H-B reunions, there was Yogi, Boo-Boo, Huck, Quick Draw, Snagglepuss and the Doggies. Thankfully, Snooper and Blabber (whose appearances in LAFF-A-LYMPICS were sadly limited) were aboard as well. Arnold Stang reprised Top Cat quite well, and it was nice- if a little jarring- to see relatively recent creations (1968) Dastardly and Muttley interacting with characters initially created in 1958 through '61.

For those Hanna-Barbera cultists with quick eyes or VCRs, cameos included Reddy, Baba Looey (who had been banned from all reunions, possibly due to concerns over Mexican stereotypes), Yippee Coyote, Snuffles, Yakky Doodle, Chopper, Hokey Wolf, Touche Turtle, Magilla Gorilla, Peter Potamus, Ricochet Rabbit, Atom Ant, Maw Rugg, Granny Sweet, Squiddly Diddley, Chief Winchley and Penelope Pitstop.

TREASURE HUNT was by far the best original series reuniting classic H-B characters. As for other Yogi remakes:

YOGI'S GANG deserves all the derision directed at it for attempting to make the sma-a-arter than average bear a P.C. crusader- but then, that's what was mandated for Saturday morning programming in 1973. The 'Ark Lark' pilot, aired the season before, was actually pretty interesting (thanks to the first appearances of most of the characters since their original series ended) and much less preachy than GANG. That a laugh track was inserted, as if to emphasize the point that it was overtly a comedy show, made it that much less funny. While the central cast was pretty consistent, isolated episodes stuck in characters never seen in any other episode: Touche Turtle, Hokey Wolf, the Meeces, Secret Squirrel(!). Enchancing the series' sugary, touchy-feely aspect was an episode that guest-starred a blonde Ranger Smith:confused:, who was happy to see Yogi ("The pride and joy of Jellystone Park".) In subsequent reunion series that Mr. Ranger, Sir appeared in, their love/hate relationship from the 1960-62 shorts was thankfully retained.

GALAXY GOOF-UPS grafted two 1978 crazes: outer space sci-fi and disco :ack:. (STAR WARS had hit theatres too late for the 1977 Saturday AM cartoons to 'deal' with it, so it was inevitable that the following season would.) Yogi and Huck were the only two classic characters; Boo-Boo must've opted out of this one;), and not because Don Messick was unavailable; he did the usual large number of incidentals. The remainder of the Goof-ups were a bear with the voice and mannerisms of Joe Besser and a duck whose insanity- and voice- clearly echoed that of the initial appearances of :daffy: (At least, it gave Mel Blanc a rare appearance in a something other than a FLINTSTONE or LT reunion.) The scripts weren't half bad, with some clever satire of old movie genres (sci-fi and otherwise) and occasional fourth-wall breaking. The disco sequences were animated in an unusual avant-garde fashion that nicely obscured the bizarre notion that comedic talking cartoon animals would be engaging in such an activity.

In fall 1988, a series of new Yogi shorts was released for syndication. They were actually postponed from September to December due to Daws Butler's passing, with Greg Burson assuming the role. The shorts made a welcome return to Jellystone, with Yogi mostly resuming his obsession with rest, relaxation and pic-a-nic baskets. Of course, various stories touched on such late-eighties crazes as physical fitness, punked-out younger relatives and Ninjas (in the case of the latter, a raccoon.). As with TREASURE HUNT, also made for syndication, a higher level of cartoon slapstick violence was allowed- save for the early tendency of indignant female tourists slamming Yogi over the head with a frying pan. The animation style, classic H-B SFX -which were being used less and less by the late eighties- and lightweight approach that endeared the original shorts to audiences was largely evident. (Interestingly, the first couple of episodes actually recycled some 1961 Hoyt Curtin background score used in Snagglepuss, Hokey, Yakky and some of the later Yogi, Huck and Quick Draw shorts. Beyond that, most score was original or recycled from TREASURE HUNT.) Other than a few guest shots by Cindy Bear, there were no cameos at all- except Huck and Top Cat appearing on newspaper mastheads.

I haven't seen the 1964 theatrical HEY THERE IT'S YOGI BEAR recently, but I recall it being quite different from the TV shorts in terms of animation style (of quite a bit higher quality), music (almost entirely original score not heard in any Yogi or H-B series prior or since) and direction- very obvious, given the expansion of the franchise from six-minute shorts to a 90-minute story.