1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yogi Bear on Boomerang

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by bat313, May 14, 2010.

1. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Ok, i finally got Boomerang a few months ago and have been DVRing the Yogi Bear Show everyday for when i get home from work. Well the title of the show looks like it was animated in the 80's but so far i have only seen the same 10 or 12 episodes repeated over and over and over again and the animation all looks like its from the 60s. My question is, why aren't they showing ALL the Yogi shorts in order? There must a a hundred Yogi shorts out there right?

My main goal in watching all the Yogi episodes was actually to find out when Mr. Rangers design changed to the final one. He's so fat and changes so frequently in the old episodes its crazy!

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Ranger Smith's constantly changing physical design was turned into a running joke in the 2 "Ranger Smith" shorts that were made by John Kricfalusi. Ranger Smith's appearance would frequently change via visual gags such as having Smith walk behind a tree, and then be sporting a completely different look when he emerged from the other side of the tree. That was the only funny thing about those shorts.

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Speaking of Yogi Bear though a little off the subject: When will Warner Bros. release to theatres the Yogi Bear movie? And will it be in 3-D or not?

4. bat313

bat313 Active Member

lol i do remember those new shorts.

I just remember watching the Yogi Bear show after elementary school, this was like the mid 80's, and i don't remember ranger smith being so different looking all the time. I thought for sure new shorts must have been produced in the 80's and Boom is just refusing the air them.

5. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

You're correct. The show you're speaking of was The New Yogi Bear Show which aired in 1988. Boom only airs the original Yogi Bear Show shorts from the 60's. In those, Ranger Smith did look different until the near the end of the original series' run, then he remained the way we see him today in future Yogi shows and specials.

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

Even at the end of those, he still looked a bit different. The final Ranger Smith design (the particular shape of the head) seemed to be introduced in Hey, There; it's Yogi Bear.

7. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

It has a release date of Dec. 17th, 2010 and yes it will be in 3-D.

8. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity Active Member

The "modern" Ranger Smith design first appeared in the 1964 movie Hey There, It's Yogi Bear. Before that, it was the ever-shifting design as other people has mentioned. The 1964 movie design is more or less how he looked in post-1964 Yogi Bear appearances (although his hair was colored blonde when Ranger Smith appeared on Yogi's Gang).

9. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Ahhhh, so his design did not change until the movie came out. Interesting!

I wish Boom would show the 80's Yogi series. They show enough of the 80's specials.

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Well, Yogi only had 1 series in the 80's: Yogi's Treasure Hunt (1985), which was part of the syndicated Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera. Yogi wouldn't have another series after that until Yo, Yogi! (1991), unless one counts his appearance on the Fender Bender 500 segments on Wake, Rattle and Roll (1990), and that was technically more of an H-B 'potpourri' show than a Yogi series, per se.

11. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

No, there were also all new, plain "Yogi Bear" episodes made in 1988.
    It was apart of a new syndication package that included the old shorts as well.

12. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

You forgot about "The New Yogi Bear Show" from the late 80s, made for syndication, and a revival of the original series' format----Yogi and Boo-Boo having hijinks in Jellystone and dealing with Ranger Smith. No space travel, no arks, no other H-B characters (save the Ranger gaining a sidekick, a short ranger). Still find the "Predaterminator" episode funny (apparently Yogi must've been watching a few 80s films to "borrow" the idea for building such a robot from... :p ).

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Hm. Funny, I never heard of this show. Odd how that one slipped by me...

14. josie

josie Well-Known Member

I love the 80's New Yogi Bear show, animation and stories are nice. Boomerang Europe only shows these episodes. Cartoon Network UK/Europe also only aired 80's episodes in the past.