1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yogi Bear feature in the works, BUT....

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Silverstar, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

I've seen commercials. I am sorry to say that, yes, that is the plot.

How will they save Jellystone Park, I wonder. Maybe by putting on a benefit concert which the antagonist will attempt to sabotage?

2. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

This isn't over....BEARS!!

Sounds like you came up with the ending of the live-action Country Bears movie even with the replacing of the concert hall with Jellystone National Park.

3. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Guh-huh!

This movie definitely needs more Christopher Walken acting overly serious. :p

4. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

5. DaffyDonaldQW93

Let's hope Yogi Bear falls flat. The less it grosses, maybe the Live Action/CGI cartoon adaption genre will go away. Then Dan Lin would stop producing the Tom & Jerry movie and the Bugs Bunny movie preproduction would be axed!

6. Red TF Ranger

Red TF Ranger Member

Even if it did flop,that wouldn`t stop Hollywood from destroying all of the classic cartoon characters.Bill Hanna,Joe Barbera,Chuck Jones,Friz Freleng,etc.are probably rolling in their graves.

Besides,we still have the Smurfs to suffer through,and possibly a Berenstein Bears movie at some point as well.

Now,if the Berenstein Bears movie was all-animated,it might be good..unfortunately,an article on the film I read revealed the awful truth.

It`s going to be Live-Action/CGI,with the bears interacting with humans.

7. DaffyDonaldQW93

My family is going to see it today, with me seeing the latest Narnia instead. If my brother saw the GOOD Cartoon Network, saw old tapings of Kartoon Kablooey (if I was around in the 80's), watched Saturday Morning cartoons on TV Land like Jackson 5ive, or, better yet, got a sattilite in the early 2000's to get the regular Boomerang (and not just on demand from Comcast) then my family would boycott Yogi Bear and not let my little one see garbage that is advertised on TV. (Though I have to admit that Alvin and the Chimpmunks: The Squeakel made the Chippettes have a "Dreamgirls" like story, and "Dreamgirls" was based on the rise and fall of.....The Surpremes)

For this new Gulliver's Travels stuff, I know it's a nice modern twist, but I prefer the older Gulliver movies any day, specfiically the musicial Max Fleischer cartoon feature released by Paramount (Fox's longtime rival). All together now: "It's a hap-hap-happy day, toodle-ooh-um-uh-day!".

Ironically, the channel hawking the new Gulliver the most is owned under the same umberella as the '39 Gulliver Movie I like.

Maybe I will see Berenstien Bears, it's popularity rose in the 80's and there's no way animation fans can bash it. Please Cartoon Brew- just give the Berenstien Bears movie a chance! (If you ever want to post it, let Linda Simensky post it). Please, whoever works on the Berenstien Bears movie help the MPAA give the Berenstien Bears a G rating by not adding this random toilet humor. The Berenstien Bears was an easy read for children, don't sabatoge it COMPLETELY!!!!!!

EDIT: I saw Narnia, it was more adventrous and nearly nobody gave a hoot about books into movies when film was in it's early years to the Golden Age of Hollywood.

CGI/Live Action cartoon adaptions are just dumb. Why adapt something that was once in the movies for 7 minutes and that was enough?

#287 DaffyDonaldQW93, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010
  8. Eric Brown

Eric Brown Member

Yogi went flat.

Well.....I went to see it. I was as dissapointed as I thought I might be.
    The movie was FLAT. The plot was overly simple and the supporting characters were so shallow. It appears the movie was aimed at the 6 -10 year old group. I would put the animated Yogi and Boo Boo on a level as "acceptable". Boo Boo was the only character that remained closest to the original in personality and with a decent job of voicing by Justin Timberlake.

The outdoor shots in the park all appeared to shot on a cloudy day. No sunshine. No sharp shadows.The credits contained one reference; "based on characters created by Hanna-Barbera Productions". No tribute to or mention of Bill, Joe, Daws or Don.

Also in the end credits there is an acknowlegement to the New Zeland Filmboard for financial support. With all of the other partnership companies shown in the end credits, it makes me wonder if the exteriors were shot in New Zeland.

I'm afraid this one will not make to my collection.

9. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

I'm with TheBlueHombre and others who actually DO like the idea of this being made, if at all keeping Yogi Bear true to character--not street, mind you, a la an "Alvin and the Chipmunks", but neither what Alvin and the Chipmunks or Yogi himself wound up being, a lovey dovey character who-----a-HEM------gets along with the ranger, or something, instead of the classic idea of stealing picnic baskets as in the original show or the new movie, which apparently had him more true to the original.

The pre-"Scooby/Smurf" era HB characters have really even more, to expand on TheBlueHombre post on GAC Forums's post on the upcmoing Huck flick, been really the ones to fall off. The Jetsons have almost disappeared. Ruff and Reddy and Top Cat have REALLY fallen into oblivion.

Of course, I don't want new production that change the characters to be too cute or too street :) --a la the 1980s long-running Alvin/Chipettes show---no wonder many "'tude"-preferring reall-life types seemingly preferred the more recent CGI theatrical version, or, if they have never seen the reruns in the 1990s on Nickelodeon's own "Wienerville" of the 1961 original "Alvin Show", of the characters [or have never seen them online on certain sites] thus wrote them off until that Fox theatrical CGI version of the Chipmunks.'

Not that it's the way I'd want the early Hanna-Barbera characters to wind up, either, anymore than the interpretation I above first mentioned, that has long saddled characters like Yogi and friends.

Thanks much for reading.

"The Princess and the frog" flopped because it was disprectful to the classics, with no charm a la "CInderella","Lady & Tramp", etc. Just another IMHO mockery of by Disney of itself. :(

He'd be great for YOGI, given his persona, not for Boo Boo. Dan Ayckroyd as the Ranger would be fun. Justin T. or anyone could have played Boo-Boo, if you wanna go down that route.

RIP Harvey Pekar.

#289 Steve Carras, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
  10. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Believe it or not, but it looks like the movie is close to cracking $100 million domestically.

11. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Last check has it about 92 mil., and that was a little over two weeks ago. Yeah, it's very possible.

Going by these numbers, a sequel looks like it's a given. Critics be damned; this thing is making money hand over fist. That CGI Garfield flick from a few years ago only made 75 million domestically (I say "only" in comparison to this), and that got a sequel. Heck, this is WB we're talking about. We could be looking at a full blown franchise here.

12. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

A sequel is already being planned, along with a Huckleberry Hound movie, thanks to the success of the film.

I'll be honest, but this movie doesn't really look all that bad, but I'm waiting for it to hit video before I check it out.

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Indeed. I'm not a big fan of H-B's funny animal toons myself, but if this level of b.o. numbers continues and the proposed sequel (as well as the announced Huckleberry Hound movie) is just as successful, it won't be long before WB and Cartoon Network get those dollar signs in their eyes and decide to start re-aring the old shows in wider circulation as well as launching new shows starring the old HB characters. That will be good news for fans of Yogi's gang (though I personally think that the Looney Tunes and Jay Ward characters are funnier overall and more deserving of that kind of love).

As for the Huck Hound movie, I have to wonder what sort of plot that movie could even have? The character has a different job in every short. Maybe that could be the premise: Huck works for a temp agency and bounces around from job to job throughout the movie.

14. Chaz

Chaz Member

The Garfield flick sold more tickets, though. Yogi has the benefit of 3-D ticket prices to inflate its gross.

15. TheBlueHombre

TheBlueHombre Member

There are lots of plot ideas for a Huckleberry Hound movie because Huck is really based on parody and satire. His TV movie, "The Good, The Bad and Huckleberry Hound" proves that Huck can handle a starring vehicle in a feature length presentation. The movie is set in 1849 with the gold rush. Huck is named Sheriff of Two-Bit and has to bring the Daltons to justice. "The Good, The Bad and Huckleberry Hound" parodied every major motion western film and it was a blast to watch. Even though Huck did a different job every week in his cartoons, the basic premise was parody and satire on other entertainment genres: westerns, cop shows, science fiction, African safaris, etc.

Using Huck's personality in a satire or parody helps to bring out the humor and allows the character to react to what is going on around him. Borrowing from an old comic book, there could be "Huckleberry Hound For President." There could be "Huckleberry Hound and the Goblet of Fire". How about "Huck Hound, Private Detective."

Another key to making a good Huck movie would be a strong villain. James Bond works well when he has a great villain, so does Batman and Superman and so does Huckleberry Hound. The Dalton Gang was a fun villain to watch in Huck's TV movie. Powerful Pierre also was one in the Huck cartoons. What if it was Powerful Pierre and Huckleberry Hound for the presidency? Powerful Pierre and Huck doing a parody of Survivor (TV Reality Show).

I wrote John Ludin who co-wrote "The Good, The Bad and Huckleberry Hound" with Tom Ruegger and I asked him, "How did the two of you end up writing the film?" He wrote back and said that they had their choice of all the Superstar 10 films to write for and H-B wanted them to write one of the Scooby-Doo films instead. They promised to write one, but first they wanted to write the Huck movie because they loved the character and they felt it was the easiest of the films to write. And it shows. By the way, they never did write any of the Scooby Doo Superstar 10 films. The only one they wrote for was Huck.

They used the narrator approach, just like the cartoons. They had Huck turn to the camera and do one-liners to the audience and break the fourth wall, just like the cartoons. They also kept the story entertaining with a good villain and kept Huck in character at all times. I hope that when WB does make a Huckleberry feature film that they will use all of these elements that have been apart of his cartoons. If they do, there will be enough entertainment for all age groups to enjoy the film.

16. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yogi Bear crossed over with other Hanna-Barbera more than any of his other stars.
    Maybe they'll make cameos in the next film and see Huckleberry Hound or Quick Draw Mcgraw.

18. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I know I'm hoping against hope, but they should make Dastardly & Muttley the villains of the next movie, then spin them off into their own feature film if Yogi 2 is a success.

19. jacketshen

jacketshen New Member

i has already starred in plenty of 90-minute films, so the plot is really the last thing I'll worry about

20. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

Interesting... I know this is a thread on Yogi Bear, but I would have been curious to see how those two would have handled a Scooby Doo Superstars 10 movie. Especially Tom Ruegger, considering is history with Scooby Doo; as I understand it he worked on the 1983-1985 Scooby shows and A Pup Named Scooby Doo, so it would have been interesting to see how that writing team would have handled a Scooby movie.

I think especially with Tom involved, a Scooby movie written by those two would have been pretty good.