1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yogi Bear feature in the works, BUT....

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Silverstar, Oct 2, 2008.

1. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

It would have been funnier if they did it as a horror movie poster spoof, with Yogi looking all crazed stalking a picnic basket just sitting there.

2. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Well, thanks for the nightmares, it will never escape me.

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

They look like typical carnivore cuspids to me. (realistic looking).

4. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I lost it. The tagline and the positioning is just too hilarious for words. I can't believe they paid someone to come up with that. :anime:

5. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

My first impression was that with the change in medium they made Yogi more cute looking, but it’s not too bad. Not nearly as bad as giving him a very different voice and no doubt dialogue that five year olds are going to find patronizing.

But after looking at this extreme close-up, I’m starting to pay attention to how they have that snout in the “o” in “Yogi.”
    That strikes me as odd.

When I think of Yogi Bear, what first comes to mind is the hipster non-conformist way he wears his hat, and his collar and tie that indicate he’s well dressed for a woodland creature. Those are the visual clues that tell us he’s smarter then the average bear.
    Those are the trademarks I’d probably want to work into a Yogi Bear logo.
    A picnic basket would be next on the list for iconic Yogi images.
    A paw print would be very generic but acceptable. At least a kid on a camping trip might go “Hey dad, a paw print. Just like I learned from the Yogi poster.” “Sharp eye son. What do you say we go run for our lives now.”

On the other hand that smile makes him look like a simpleton. A full sized adult bear simpleton.

What is with the emphasis of the mouth in the logo?
    Are they trying to say he’s always smiling?
    Is he always mouthing off?
    Is he going to eat us?
    Is he so “in your face” that he’s nothing but a big mouthy blur?

Back off Yogi.

#265 Aquadementia, Aug 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2010
  6. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

The image, the horror! It kind of reminds me of that live action country Bear movie :ack:

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

New trailer.

Yogi and Boo Boo's dialogue at the end made me laugh.

8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Hey, there's the fart joke. It really did feel like the earlier trailer was missing something.

9. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

I'm not gonna lie; Justin Timberlake actually does a good Boo-Boo. I don't want to say it's "spot on" or anything, but it still sounds a lot better than I thought it'd be.

That, however, doesn't change the fact that I still think this movie looks horrible. It'll have all the same problems as that CGI Garfield thing, but with about 20x more slapstick.

10. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

Thank god I wasn't the only one who did.

And as much as I love slapstick, the trailer seemed to go a little overboard on it.

11. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Uhhh... this film has a plot, right?

12. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Kids don't need plots, they just need flailing slapstick, fart jokes and thinly-veilled vulgarities. :shrug:

13. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

And scenes of animals donning shades and rocking out to pop music, don't forget that! :anime:

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Same old, same old.

15. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Well the second trailer is slightly better than the first.

16. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack Active Member

Which is like saying getting punched in the stomach is slightly better than getting kicked in the balls.

17. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

That or rocking out to some classic oldie-but-goodie. :p

Um, it doesn't close because it's supposed to be a federally-run *national park* (being based loosely on Yellowstone and all), not some high school football field?!

If that really *is* the plot (and not some more Wikipedia-falsehoods), *sigh*...

-B.

18. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity Active Member

I will say this after seeing the trailer last night before Legends of the Guardians, the Yogi Bear trailer is better than the trailer for Tangled (which looked really bad).

19. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

For the completists, a third trailer is up on video sites that I don't believe I can link as of now.

Pretty much the same gags from the past two trailers, and scenes showcasing where the budget was wasted, err, spent.

Still no sighting of a plot here...

20. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Well... earlier tonight, I caught my first TV trailer for this thing (during King of the Hill, no less), and one noticeable thing that stood out; Yogi sounds way too much like Dan Aykroyd. This is not good. If you're gonna ask a "name" to take part in your animated movie, the least you could do is get someone who can actually do a decent impression of the character they're voicing. I'm sorry, but Danny just isn't making the cut here. I would know that was Dan Aykroyd, even if nobody told me he was in this movie. It's really a poor choice of casting. I said it before, and I'll say it again; at least Justin Timberlake does a passable, if not good impression of Boo-Boo. Can't say the same thing for Dan.

It makes me wonder; would it really have hurt them that much just to use a traditional voice actor for this? I know Greg Burson is no longer with us (Yogi's most recent VA), but surely they could have found someone who could do a better impression (Frank Welker, perhaps?). I guess, just like every other animated Hollywood film, a guy like Dan Aykroyd's name just looks better on a movie poster to your average marketing exec. (even though, I don't think any kid is going to see this movie based on his involvement alone).

Despite this complaint, I have a feeling the voice acting will end up as one of the better portions of this movie. I can already think of several other things to complain about from these trailers, but it's redundant at this point. Over the top slapstick, a couple of poop jokes... you name it; this is lowbrow humor at its finest.