1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Yogi Bear feature in the works, BUT....

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Silverstar, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I wasn't sure where to put this; I figured since it's about a classic toon, I'd put it in the Retro Forum, but if it's not appropriate here, mods, please feel free to move it. Anywho...

According to the Big Cartoon Database, there's a Yogi Bear feature in the works, but there's a catch...

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
    [/FONT]

Well.

Live-action and CGI, 2 things that no one wants to hear in any film starring a classic cartoon star. But this may actually stand a slim chance of working, given that Yogi was originally done in limited animation. It really depends on the script and how Yogi and Boo-Boo will be rendered.

2. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Meh on the computer generated animation, but it looks like Jellystone's most famous resident is about to make a big comeback.

Interesting.

3. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

As long as they stay away from the toilet humor (Like the scene in A&TC when Alvin eat's Theodore's leavings), I'm all for a Yogi feature film.

4. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] Hmm...I don't know. 2-Foot tall CGI chipmunks frolicking across the screen seems cute, but a 6-foot tall CGI bear with a green hat and a matching tie interacting with live action humans might not be so cute, but of course, that's a better idea than just dressing some actor in a bad bear costume.

The other issue is story. How does one stretch a plot about Yogi stealing pic-a-nic baskets into an hour and a half?

This will either be the next Alvin and the Chipmunks or the next Rocky & Bullwinkle.
    [/FONT]

5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Well, Yogi has already starred in plenty of 90-minute films, so the plot is really the last thing I'll worry about. I'm just concerned that they'll probably squeeze in as much toilet humor as possible, like they did with Scooby-Doo. (Which wasn't any more or less cuter as Yogi and Boo Boo could be)

And Adam Sandler as Ranger Smith :D

EDIT: Thread mirrored at Entertainment since this is primarily live-action.

6. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Sandler as Smith? No, just... no. I'd rather have someone tolerable in the role. I just can't picture Ranger Smith talking in baby language, then getting abrubtly verbally abusive towards everyone.

The ideal Ranger Smith would be none other than Luke Wilson.

7. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, I know, I was just joking. But knowing Hollywood, I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually considering it.

8. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

:eek: Live-action Yogi? NO!

9. Taco Wiz

Taco Wiz The Loyal Order of Stupids

What's the point in making a movie based off a TV show that hasn't been seen in ages? The only reason the Alvin and The Chipmunks movie was successful is because of the band, and that movie sucked. I'm betting that this and the Smurfs movie will both bomb.

10. Atoon

Atoon Broken English

I've seen photos of an authorized Yogi Bear play with actors and people in costumes and I actually think it would be more appropriate.

But there's no much point into making anthropomorphic animal cartoon characters looks like live-action, thought. I don't remember any good example.

11. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

That kind of casting actually works.

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I know that a lot of people don't like CGI, but if we really must have a live action movie based on a cartoon, please, no actors in costumes! I'm still having visions of Mike Myers as a horrific Cat in the Hat.

#12 Goldstar Neo, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  13. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Isn't Mike Myers as the Cat in the Hat worse than that?

14. Mickialla

Mickialla Suave Incarnate

This is cool. Surprisingly, I don't really care that it's live action. The Scooby movies were live action and were pretty good. Alvin and the Chipmunks was live action and was awesome. This should be good, seeing as how people from That 70's show (good), Surf's Up (awesome), and Pixar (godly) are working on it.

Whatever happened to that live action Jetsons film that was supposed to happen? And wasn't there supposed to be a Jonny Quest movie in pre-production too? And I heard there was a third installment of the LA Flinstones movies set for an 09 release. Wow, lots of H-B LA movies.

15. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

As long as there is little toilet humor involved, I'm okay with this. :)

16. Mickialla

Why does everyone think that a Yogi Bear movie will automatically have a lot of toilet humor?? :confused:

17. Racattack!Force

If Hollywood can put some toilet humor in Alvin and the Chipmunks, they sure as heck can could some in Yogi Bear. :sweat:

18. Atoon

Atoon Broken English

No, I tried to mean disguises, not just makeup, like this:

[​IMG]

19. Mickialla

You want a Yogi Bear in a live action Yogi Bear movie to look like THAT??? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

WHY???

20. Racattack!Force

He was just using an example for what he DOESN'T want. :sweat: