1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another article by me.

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Chris, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Inspired by Martianinvader's wonderful TV Guide ads articles, I decided to make one of my own, only this one is stuff from 1998. And this isn't all I have from 1998. I have like a dozen TV Guides from 1998 alone. Man I wish Pete's dad was mine, taping stuff from 1981 and keeping it. Anyway, here's the link:
    http://www.atari2600land.com/tvguide/199798.html

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Ah, the relaunch of "America's Funniest Home Videos". I could write volumes about the changes this show went through between the Bob Saget years (a.k.a. the "Eh, I can think of worse ways to spend a half-hour" era) and the John Fugelsang/Daisy Fuentes years (a.k.a. the "They're gonna get funny in a minute, right? Right? Right?!?" era).

I believe the reason the show was temporarily cancelled after Season 7 was because Saget was eager to stretch as an actor - he'd been stuck with this and "Full House" as his defining roles for years, and that'd put a stain on anyone's resumé. But Vin DiBona wouldn't let him out of his contract right away (he first talked about quitting in Season 5, I think, which is why so many of his Season 6 and 7 monologues sound so forced, even moreso than usual). They brought in John and Daisy to keep the show going for a Season 8, but the poor dopes had absolutely no business hosting a TV show - John apparently tried to emulate Saget's "look how funny I am" schtick and failed miserably, while Daisy's line reads made her sound like she just stumbled out of a bar (and her constant fits of the giggles didn't help in that matter). Thankfully, ABC canned these two twits after Season 10, finally realizing that they had zero chemistry together. Tom Bergeron came on for Season 11 and infused the show with some much-needed dry wit and sophistication - his delivery isn't flat and rapid like a bad stand-up comic, nor is it hokey and cloying like some 1940s newsreel announcer, but it's much more professional and humorous. And Bergeron's sense of comedic timing is much sharper than his predecessors - his narration doesn't intrude upon the videos, it just provides a witty rejoinder to the action within. He's the ideal host for the show, and I'm glad he's still with AFV. It's worth noting that, when Season 18 premieres next month, Bergeron's tenure as host will surpass Saget's as the longest-running, and I can think of no better man to hold the honor.

Heck, maybe I should write an article. The history of "America's Funniest Home Videos" is certainly a topic that no one would think to write about, yet still has more complexity than you'd think.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It looks good. The Drew Carey remark was great. Even worse, they promoted that episode even when it wasn't on, using clips of the Full Monty boys gyrating in a courthouse whenever Drew was a rerun. Blech.

My own collection drops off around 1998, so you can fill that hole easily.

4. J. B. Warner

You know, despite the disturbing thought of Drew Carey, Diedrich Bader, Ryan Stiles, Colin Ferguson, and Ian Gomez all naked, I still like that episode for its great ending ("Sorry you had to see my butt...sorry you had to see my butt...").

And it also inspired this great repartée on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" a few years later...

DREW: You know, a lot of people forget that on "The Drew Carey Show", Ryan and I have been completely naked.
    RYAN: Of course, some of us needed a wide-angle lens.
    DREW: ...And some of us needed a zoom.

5. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

They mentioned Charlene Tilton as a "special appearance" in the Safety Patrol ad, but they left out John Walsh? And I'm reasonably sure that Ed McMahon had more screen time in that movie than Leslie Nielsen, who I'm pretty sure was a sideshow and had little to do with the actual plot.

I'd read it, without a doubt. And I'll tell you why.

I've actually got a couple of the original Saget episodes recorded on tape. They did a full hour of AFHV on the evening of March 24, 1996, and in between the two shows, ABC had a two minute interstitial AFHV (hosted by Saget) that had a few home videos. Sort of interesting...

But the reason my mom taped it that night was because we knew the winners ("Baby Loves Head Rub"). Looking back at that episode, the winning "Baby" video was ok, but it definitely was NOT the funniest; the sure-fire contender that evening was a genuinely funny production video called "Dueling Pizzas" that was made by two guys from Milwaukee (and should be on YouTube if it currently isn't). "Pizzas" deserved to win that night, and you could sort of tell Saget was disappointed when "Baby" won instead.

So yeah, I completely understand why Saget wanted to get away from it. And I'm especially glad that they've got Bergeron now.

6. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

most of the clips voted funniest, were not the funniest. My mom said people always voted for clips involving children, over funny ones involving animals-- because they wanted the families to win lots of money and make the kid proud of themselves.

7. J. B. Warner

Frankly, I think even Bergeron is a little bewildered by some of the winners. On this year's end-of-season $100,000 show, I swear he got this sarcastic look on his face that said "Well, if you say so" when he opened the envelope. And rightly so - the winner was "Plugged-In Pug", a dog that goes crazy while watching the Dog Park segment of an AFV episode. Gee, I can't imagine why that clip won...