1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yahoo! News Story - Smoking cuts for classic cartoons

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Traf, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

At least they already put "Texas Tom" and all of The Flintstones (pending next month) on DVD.

Goes to show America's not uptight about everything... at least we don't have to see these: [​IMG] completely awful things stamped on every single DVD release.

2. Cogliostro

Cogliostro Finish it...

I find it rather funny that they are more worried that a young kid is going to go out of his/her way to find a cig, light it and start smoking because they see it in Tom and Jerry or any of the other cartoons but could careless (which they shouldn't be worried about either smoking or violence) about it being more likely that a child/kid will see Jerry pick up a hammer and hit Tom with it and laugh and then later on come across a hammer or something and pick it up and innocently hit someone (not causing any harm other then some slight pain) and laugh. In short in my opinion a child/kid is more then likely going to duplicate the hitting and chasing that occurs in many Hanna Barbera cartoons then getting ahold of mommy/daddys smokes and lighting up. Also highly doubt older kids like pre-teens and teens while be influenced by Tom and Jerry to start smoking, seriously now.

*Takes long drag on cig and exhalues* Yep that's right I'm smoking like that cool cat Tom who made it look sooooo cool, how could I NOT start smoking.

....yes that was sarcasim.

:yawn:

3. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

Alright, ill play devil's advocate. Im against censorship, but im also against smoking. I feel that as long as they offer the unedited versions of these cartoons in some form (DVD releases?), then i dont have a problem with them editing the cartoons for television broadcast.

4. josie

josie Well-Known Member

That is so true. I've seen a report about this on CNN, and they interviewed some parents about this and some of them said that they are smokers but they support this desicion. What a bunch of hypocrites, I just can't believe it, why don't they quit smoking if they care so much. In the end the presenter said that Turner will edit only 2 scenes, but I'm not sure if that's 100% true.

5. SAMaine

SAMaine Member

You know... I've never seen a cartoon that had smoking that didn't involve comupance to the smoker. Hell, two cartoon standards, which I won't name for obvious reasons, involve the antagonist smoking and paying for it comedically.

6. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

Geez, messing with the classics, that's just wrong. I saw those cartoons with the guns & cigarettes when I was younger and I didn't end up smoking or messing around with some gun. I turn out completely fine. Maybe a little anti-social, but not some courrpted youth.

Most parents today are now scared of what their kids watch on TV so they try to protect them with all this censorship. But kids are going start learning about guns, drugs, sex, and smoking when they start middle school...:shrug:

Yet once again, censorship has ruined even more cartoons now its the classical ones. :mad:

7. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It was those two scenes who tipped the censors off. They're going through the ENTIRE cartoon library looking for smokers.

8. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

HAHAHAH! Next thing you know, some stupid UK company will ruin it's chances by editing a program that's already edited Ahhahahaha-

-oh, wait a monment.

9. Uncle_Lina

Uncle_Lina Rubba chicken

This is really stupid, I guess it's okay editing out black steriotypes from the 30s or 40s (That is black characters with big lips or something) from old Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes cartoons. Kids are likely to see cigarettes everywhere, like if they went to the store they would find cigarettes, or if they were outside playing they're might be a person smoking, and their PARENTS might smoke too! Don't they also put warnings on the boxes now anyway? I doubt kids would want to smoke something that they knows damages their lungs.
    PS: When the hell did Scooby-Doo feature smoking?

10. Jyose

Jyose Member

It's pretty obvious that Scooby and SHaggy smoke weed.

11. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Texas Tom is one of my favorite cartoons ever, and that cigarette gag was funny. Too bad they had to mess it up. People need to realize that not everything needs to reflect the standards of the day. Heck, Texas Tom is a western, so it's not incredibly out of place to see a cowboy rolling a cigarette.

I think HB has already changed Shaggy and Scooby's eating habits. In some of the cartoons I've watched they seem to be vegetarians now. Wikipedia said this is because Shaggy's meat eating ways pissed off Casey Kasem.

12. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

I happened to read something interesting at TV Party.com about Shari Lewis, the late puppeteer. She was the hostess for a New York TV show back in the 1950's, and she was fired when she objected to the violence and racial stereotypes on the cartoons that were shown on her show.

Yes, that Shari Lewis. The "mom" of Charlie Horse and Lamb Chop.

13. Uncle_Lina

Uncle_Lina Rubba chicken

I just expected they really enjoyed food, or were really hungry when I was a kid, all the kids that watch it will probably expect that.

But what next? Will most Elmer Fudd or Yosemitie Sam cartoons be banned/poory edited because they use guns which children probably can't even get a hold of anyway? Or maybe they'll ban the cartoons where Bugs Bunny dresses in drag to fool Elmer Fudd.

In many childrens films like Madagascar or Shrek which have G/U ratings ratings, there is more adult referances than there is in childrens TV shows, like when the Lion in Madagascar went on an LSD style drug trip after being hit by a tranquiliser, this would never happen on Cartoon Network or something. Why are TV censors more strict?

14. Tak Mazé

Tak Mazé Worms and plastic minnows!

Figures that it'd be the British who go and complain about this. I doubt they realise that childrens programming just over the channel contains partial nudity and the live action slaughtering of animals (I've just come back from a trip to Spain. That's some good TV right there :p)

15. NickMB

NickMB SwimOverlord

actually, Italy has always edited smoking out of cartoons. Lupin and Jigen don't smoke in Italy. They have toothpicks with mysterious smoke coming out of them :p

16. Meeko

Meeko Guest

I don't support smoking or anything, but this is just stupid and honestly, is insulting to the kids that watch it. They're more likely to start smoking if someone they know is doing it, not because they saw it on TV and thought it looked cool.

My youngest sister saw me watching uncut One Piece the other day, and she saw Sanji lighting up and gasped (she'd only seen the lolipop version before) and she just asked me "Is Sanji really smoking?" So I told her Yep. And she looked really concerned and said "But, won't he get cancer if he does that?" I was quite surprised with her answer and just talked to her about it.

17. WadeWilson

WadeWilson Member

Agreed. I was watching an episode of Mindy and Buttons on the Animaniacs DVD the other day, and this reflected perfectly most of todays parents. The kid gets lost, and the parents find her and then blame the dog. "Bad Buttons, we trusted you to look after Mindy and you let us down!" Then they reprimand the DOG. Lady, you're telling a dog to watch your child and then you blame the dog and tell it that its stupid? She also didn't even realize that the kid was gone after leaving it in the yard and watching TV, where she saw Mindy. Someone needs to learn parenting. And this is the same scenario. ONE irresponsible parent doesn't want to have to watch what their kid watches, so instead of telling their kid its a cartoon and smoking is bad (most people know this anyways), they complain thus resulting in another edited cartoon and another lame cartoon about teenagers in a mall made.

Its the same with everything. Parents don't want to have to pay any attention, so they get violent cartoons banned instead of talking to their kids. Or their kid hurts itself on a dangerous toy, hurts itself on a stove, or any other PREVENTABLE tragic event, and then they go and blame whoever made the product that hurt their child even though almost all the time, the parent isn't watching their kid because if they were it wouldn't have happened.

I remember a couple of months back, not the whole story for sure, but a little girl lost I believe a finger thanks to her parents irresponsibility. They left her in a room with a paper shredder on the floor, girl put her hand in it. Then they go and blame the paper shredding company saying their products are faulty. This kid was severely injured, and they can't even put blame on the right people which is themselves. Some products obviously should be kid safe because theres some things a kid can do within seconds of having your back turned. Toys SHOULD have ages on them, but if they say 10+** they should be allowed to have small parts. In the instance of toys parents shouldn't have to watch their kid all the time if the toy is for their age group. But, until parents stop being lazy, cartoons are going to keep being cut up and edited, products and companies blamed for parents mistakes, and toys made as kid friendly as possible.

** I use this example because Hasbro, owner of the Marvel Legends figures, have stated that they'll be removing individual finger articulation. If I remember correctly these figures have an age of 6+ or 10+ on them, and theres no need to remove small parts: 6 year olds don't eat toys.

18. Captin "Hank" Murphy

Captin "Hank" Murphy Free Labotamies for Apes.

This is so typical of today's media buisness. When one whiney parent complains about one scene in a cartoon or their kid was dumb enough to reinact it(which of course the parent refuses any responsibility to the kid's dumbness to act it out), satellites are linking up, people in the pentagon are running everywhere, news stations are making reports about children's media is in a moral sewer, and ends up banning something that isn't that big of a deal.

19. Anniemaniac

Anniemaniac Totally insaney

This is stupid. I grew up watching Tom and Jerry. I saw the scenes where they smoked and my mum smoked so I had incredibly easy access to cigs if I wanted, yet I never smoked.

I dont see the point in this at all. I got more hassle in high school about smoking than I did from a cartoon. Do parents not realise this? That their child is gonna come face to face with smoking (and much more than that) in high school? Why bother complaining about tom and jerry. They'll have more to deal with when their kid starts high school.

And if parents really are that concerned that a cartoon is going to make their kids smoke, then a little bit of parental advice should discourage them. Just a few simple facts should be enough to scare them away from the idea.

20. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

Well, Cats and mice don't usually get along in real life, but this is a cartoon so in some episodes Tom and Jerry were really friendly towards each other!
    :yawn:
    In my opinion, smart kids would never smoke, drink, or copy what they see on T.V :sweat:
    Furthermore, parents need to educate their kids, and not blame T.V, actors, cartoons and other things for that! :shrug: