1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Yahoo! News Story - Smoking cuts for classic cartoons

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Traf, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I know that Disney loves (or at least loved) to edit their classic cartoons for smoking (when the Disney Channel actually showed old cartoons they edited lots of smoking scenes out, and airbrushed Goofy and Pecos Bill's cigarettes in the DVD releases of Saludos Amigos and Melody Time) because, well, they're Disney. But i was honestly not expecting THIS.

At a time when we can't even get 100% uncut Tom and JErry DVd's, this is disheartening.

2. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

Smoking getting censored from Hanna-Barbera cartoons!

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14452732/?GT1=8404

3. PowerZord

PowerZord It's time to change.

Why they must insist on editing cartoons decades old, which reflect the views of those days? People just complain about the smallest stuff. What's next?

4. MagemanSP

MagemanSP Member

BTW, I don't advocate smoking or anything, but if I ever make any kind of popular cartoon or comic or something, I'll be sure to have a character that smokes all the time just to piss people off.

5. straw_hat

straw_hat Active Member

Is it mandatory for every adult to look down on the intelligence of children? I'd say I was an average kid growing up and I never thought about smoking just because I saw a cartoon character lighting up a cigar. It's just common sense in this day and age that smoking is not the sort of thing any one should start doing but people do it any way because they have a choice.

If there are kids who become impressionable because of what they see on tv then they just need to be sat down and told the truth. It's as easy as that and it would keep others from wasting huge amounts of time sorting through and editing hundreds of animated shorts and pissing off older animation fans. Of course this is a classic example of one ignorant person complaining and the media buckling under to protect themselves.

6. Ickis

Ickis Classic Directors Cut Edition

Man, this sounds like something that would happen in the states but Europe? I thought they didn't ever complain about smoking. :confused:

7. Kolbar

Kolbar @Cinecrisis on Twitter

The two similar threads have been merged.

8. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

This is sad... is it just for Europe or is it for other countries too?

9. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's Europe.

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Everytime something like this happens, it reflects at least one parent that's too lazy to educate their kids him/herself.

FACT.

P.S. Guys, please don't talk about potential edits. PLEASE.

11. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

I thought people started smoking in Europe at 5 years old. Go figure.

12. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

I think it's inappropriate the way that mean cat is always chasing the mouse around. Why can't they be friends?

13. RedNinja84

RedNinja84 Hotness 2.0

It really is dumb to judge a cartoon decade's old. Back in the forties and fifties every star on radio and tv smoked or was sponsered by ciggerates. I mean Winston was a major sponser of the Flintstones. One Goofy cartoon was him trying to quit smoking. Im not a smoker and I think it's a nasty habit to edit it out of older cartoons is just dumb.

14. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

Please, Dear God, don't let them do that here at Boomerang US. The classic 'toons are unwatchable enough as it is without THIS!

15. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Only takes one....

16. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

And yet the parents who are complaining about the cartoon smoking are smoking themselves.

17. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

Only the politically correct ones.

I hate this - it's bad enough the cartoons are edited out for so called violence and "racist" connotations (which I don't buy - sine many adults and senior citizens saw those catoons over the decades and they all didn't turn out to be serial killers.... who smoke!). Meanwhile we get dumbed down cartoons which liberally use potty humor to ge the funny across (and fails).

For the record, those cartoons weren't initally meant for kids per se. They were aimed at adults (although kids enjoyed them later over the years). Many toons of tht era had jokes that went over kid's heads.

The article mentions one complaint - ever notice it's always ONE person who seems to have a problem? I don't see people protesting in the streets about this .

You're kidding right? Thought so.

Shaggy's & Scooby's eating habits. The caloric intake would just make the number of overweight kids skyrocket!!!;)

Speaking of censorship - anyone know about where to find uncut cartoons from the earlier eras? Even though they have racist smokers who are very violent??:D

18. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

The News is getting out on this...

Woke up a little early this morning and found out about it on Channel 2 AM News. Haven't been able to go back to sleep since.

I also read the article at MSNBC.com and put in my vote on the subject in their poll. (I voted "No"--as did 83% of the people who took it.)

I predict that editing out smoking in classic cartoons is going to be verrrrry unhealthy for Turner. (And maybe for that one complainer as well...)

19. Perry

Perry Super... man

This is the biggest BS I've heard in a long time. I wish I could march over to that guy, and yell in his face. What a jerk, what a jerk. Ruining classic cartoons like this, wow...