1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Xiaolin Chronicles News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Harlequinn, Mar 11, 2012.

?

Canon or not?

1. Canon

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. New Show altogether

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Static

Static I put a shock to your system!

Well... "Tokyo Madness" turned out to be yet another boring, forgettable episode. Although, it was a good idea to revisit Kimiko's dad since we haven't seen him since "The Return of Pandabubba". I like how their relationship was explored a bit more here. The new Jack Spicer still makes me cringe, and it's a shame because he used to be one of my favorite characters. Omi's failed idioms aren't even funny (or well thought-out) anymore. "Undercat" instead of "underdog"? Laaaaaazy.

It's dumb how the writers simply ignored the first time Kimiko's dad met the Warriors. History in this show's timeline is so messed up. And don't tell me copyrights with Warner Bros. means that they had to shorten her last name to just "Toho" now.

Also, Disney XD cuts to commercial at the most random times.

2. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

It was nice to see, that Kimiko's family background was basically the same as it was in the original series. An interesting tidbit was revealed about the Comb Shen Gone Wu, it can't be used by bald people, and it seems that Rai might have feelings for Kimiko like it was hinted at in the original series afterall, but Kimiko's feelings for the time being is still unclear.

3. JThree

JThree Member

Haven't seen the episode yet, but what happened that hinted Raimundo had feelings for Kimiko?

james

4. Static

It happened really quick, but Raimundo was checking out Kimiko while she gave herself different hairstyles using the Medusa Comb. Just one more thing for all the fan-girls to over-analyze.

5. JThree

JThree Member

Later on, Rai also put his hand or arm around her shoulder.

james

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

And here all this time I thought maybe Kimiko had a thing for Omi and his outdated views of women.

7. KPTitan

KPTitan The Doc is in...

As excited as I was for this show returning, I think I can say for an absolute fact that it will never, EVER beat the original Showdown series. Unfortunately there's a bunch of issues that I have with the characterization of some of the characters, as well as the continuity issues as well. How Chase was portrayed in the first three episodes kind of irked me... he didn't need to have an "evil laugh" all the time to show how intimidating he was in the original series. It almost feels like they downgraded him. I also don't remember the separation issues that Dojo had with Master Fung being this bad in the original series, when they had gone to train with Guan to fight Hannibal Bean. I'm also extremely disappointed that they haven't released the rest of Showdown on iTunes, especially since a new series is airing now.:sad:

8. JThree

JThree Member

[ to fight Hannibal Bean. I'm also extremely disappointed that they haven't released the rest of Showdown on iTunes, especially since a new series is airing now.:sad:[/QUOTE]

i feel your pain---JamesJames

9. Monte

Monte Active Member

Eh, a technology based shen gon wu doesn't really make much sense... i mean which shoalin master made it? Considering how young the digital age is, it would have to be a master that is actually still around; really the tech based wu doesn't really feel like it belongs with all the ancient wu. Personally i think a better idea for a technology based shen gon wu would have been if they went with the idea of our heroes each having to make their own shen gon wu to complete their training and with kimiko making the first tech based shen go wu. Technology is very much her thing, it would allow her a way to create a wu that was very unique, and it could symbolize how times are changing.

Also didn't say anything about the previous episode, but i couldn't help but notice that Jack once again used the monkey spear despite the fact that he should have lost in the epidoe before during the showdown.
    Also still not caring about Ping pong... such a carbon copy of omi...

Ya, they took what was an amusing quirk about Dojo, and turned it into a defining character trait... Really, it feels like a lot of the humor is lost when you overuse the joke like that

10. Static

It's about time! After five stinkers in a row, "Magic Stallion and the Wild Wild West" actually turned out to be a decent episode. However, my favorite Clay-focused ep will always be "Big as Texas," and I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get to see Daddy Bailey again. Maybe next time? I admit I kind of liked the callback to Omi being kicked out of a barn after a failed milking. Of course, the best (and most surprising) part was the return of Pandabubba! It's awesome how the writers are continuing with the double-crossing theme between Jack and PB.

The jokes are still pretty weak, more of the same Shen-Gong-Wu are being re-discovered... but at least the writing is slowly improving along with the plots. And Dojo didn't whine incessantly about Master Fung! Thunderhoof is an interesting addition to the team, and I'm definitely not complaining about the lack of a showdown (again). I guess that crappy 3D is too expensive to use in every episode.

11. JThree

JThree Member

Does anybody know if there are any other x chronicles forums out there?

12. TheVileOne

Reporter

Seriously, can anyone explain what happened in the last episode?

I didn't watch Xiaolin Showdown that much, was it ever this weird? I can only describe that watching the last episode was more trippy than the entirety of Gatchaman Crowds. Between all the weirdness between Chase and Shadow and a vague plot involving a Tiger Shrimp, this episode plays like it was created after inducing a cocktail involving massive amounts of crack, coke, heroin, and shrooms.

13. Static

Xiaolin Showdown was never this weird, and with each new episode, it just feels like Chronicles gets more and more bizarre. I mean, Tubbimura's dog Muffin Face can talk now?? Where did that come from? If the Tiger Shrimp made this happen (and it didn't), I'd imagine Jack freaking out if a dog started talking to him. Apparently, Shadow came from Chase's rib in a biblical reference to Adam and Eve... and then they proceeded to flirt creepily throughout the whole episode. WHAT? Then Kimiko mentioned global warming, and Clay called it "junk science" and also said something else that made no sense. The ending with Ping Pong's machine came out of nowhere as well.

TheVileOne, I think you're onto something about the writers taking drugs. The tone of this show is all over the place, which sucks for all of us fans who grew up with the original.

14. TheVileOne

Reporter

Not to mention after they somehow restored the tiger shrimp at the end, the world was restored. But Jack Spicer was left as like a trans-gender hermaphrodite with shrimp antenna. Again, WEIRD.

All the innuendo between Shadow and Chase is weird because it is overtly sexual even though this is supposed to be a kid's show. And they do the weird Adam and Eve origin sequence, but then Shadow says something akin to me, "So that's how I was born? Calling you papa doesn't exactly seem appropriate," because you know . . . they're like a couple or something.

15. Lerkero

Lerkero Active Member

Lots of things I am not liking about this new series, and not just because they are changes, but because the are bad.

- The switch between 2D and 3D is jarring and feels out of place.
    - Ping Pong is annoying and is there a reason why he looks like Omi? (haven't watched all the episodes yet).
    - Jack Spicer seems even more despicable than he was in the original series. Why would Wuya even bother?
    - Lots of the jokes are crass and dull. Maybe those jokes passed 10 years ago, but not today.
    - Dojo should not be yellow. They should have went with brown, blue, or at least a darker shade of yellow.
    - White puss coming from Dojo? Really?
    - Is it just me or do they yell out attacks way more than what is tolerable?

There's more, but I will save more criticism for later. As much as I am disliking a lot of the show it is still kind of entertaining. I will give it a chance up to episode 10 to see if it gets better.

#235 Lerkero, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  16. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

Well Chase Young is worried about Ping Pongs potential even more than he was Omi's. Ping Pong could become like the First Hokage in Naruto, to Ping Pong the "God of Shinob-- I mean Xiaolin Master of Wood."

17. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

In other news, this show is getting worse and worse - And, NO! I don't want to be right about this, but signs are pointing in that direction, sadly...

18. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Making it worst, the creator is involve which you think someone else is working on it like what happen to Dexter's Lab. I don't know what's in her mind because you think after all these years on reviving XS would give her alot of ideas for new stories but so far they are just bad and bizarre also what's the point of making characters like Ping Pong? It's a little/clone version of Omi and hasn't contribute much to be and important member of the team.

Now makes you want them to erase all this and started where it should have begin where Raimundo is the leader and Hannibal Roy Bean should have existed.

19. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Oh God! Ping Pong just screams fancharacter doesn't he?

20. TheVileOne

Reporter

I still haven't recovered from the Tiger Shrimp drug trip episode.

How did Jack Spicer change back to a guy without shrimp antenna?