1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Xiaolin Chronicles News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Harlequinn, Mar 11, 2012.

?

Canon or not?

1. Canon

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. New Show altogether

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

It was more funny when his entire body was shaking or sometimes get this sensation of a new object but this one is just disgusting.

2. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

Well like many I'm a little disappointed by the changes, the name changes because of copyright dont bother me, it the characters and event recons(trapped in a spring). No Hannibel Roy Bean, that means Chase Youngs origin story changes, he use to be a good guy that got corrupted that gave him some depth and made him a somewhat tragic figure(i.e Sephiroth, Obito). Hopefully Master Monk Guan still exists. Rai's no longer squad leader, that was his whole character arc coming full circle and now its gone, the Rai/Kimiko ship has apparently been deleted, the last series kept implying they had feelings for eachother, but here we have Rai drooling over another girl, and Kimiko saying she only thinks of all of teammates as just friends. Not all things were negative, I liked Ping Pong, and how we finally got an explanation on where Shen Gone Wu comes from, they're created by Xiaolin Monks of high power and rank, meaning Rai, Clay, Kimi and Omi will create their own Shen Gone Wu someday when they advance enough.

3. PokemonTVDub

PokemonTVDub Member

I am shocked Disney XD even allowed it to even be aired, considering how suggestive it looks, and I don't usually think like that. If it was any other color, but white gunk spraying out of his tail is just wrong.

4. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Actually Master Monk Guan was battling Wuya so that hasn't change except of how she was trap.

As many mention this probably be a reboot more then a continuation to the original series since there are alot of things they have chance, i really don't buy the whole Shen Gone Wu being created by monks because of being high ranks, it's more believable they where created by a mystic force that may soon revealed later on but with that revelations kinda feels a bit meh.

It does make you wonder how Chase Young's origin work without Hannibel? Probably might have the same origin but don't reveal on who did or it was at free will where Master Monk Guan was chosen to be the leader instead of Chase.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I dunno....guys. This show is pretty entertaining, but it's overall quality feels like a small step back.
    My biggest complaint concerning the changes was Kimiko's voice. Every time she talks, her voice sounds so.....off. I also hope the non-Showdown battles don't become repetitive, because it pretty much felt like it in these three episodes. The monks also keep using the same Shen Gong Wu and their Shoku power at once, and it doesn't seem like it makes a difference compared to the times when they don't call it out. Of course, this was a problem that occured a couple of times in the original series as well. I hope Jack at least steps up his game and becomes more formidable, otherwise his shtick will get old fast.
    And how was it that Wuya got imprisoned by Dashi AGAIN?
    At least Ping Pong didn't become as annoying as I once thought. Still wish they used Jermaine instead....

I'll give it a couple of more episodes. I want to like this show, because I enjoyed the first series.
    I still don't see why the names of the Shen Gong Wu were changed. And for what? Copyright reasons? So the characters can keep their names but not the Shen Gong Wu? How does that work?

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I don't know, something about calling an Asian kid Ping Pong sounds wrong to me, but I'm not S&P nor Asian so it's probably not my place to say.

7. Monte

Monte Active Member

Ya i got mixed feelings about this show; i want to like it, but there are numerous issues with the execution... some thoughts... for one thing, its annoying that there is no real clue on what remains the same and what has changed. Honestly i really feel like they should be going all one way or the other. Either make a faithful continuation of the old series, or just do a complete reboot and start the series over.

The pacing feels rushed... The first episode in particular felt like it was on overdrive and was trying to do way too much; not only reintroducing us to the monks and their world, but introducing, jack, Wu-ya, Chase, Willow AND Ping Pong. The second episode was better paced, but the overarching plot felt a tad bit rushed between the 3 episodes. The show needs to learn to slow down and breathe a bit. Heck it would help if they could just focus on one villain at a time.

CGI; i don't like it... not ver well done and it feels rather out of place.

Also i was confused on wu-ya and Jack. We saw how she was captured by Dashi and trapped in a spring, then we have jack receive a puzzle box out of nowhere which contained the spring and then wu-ya popped out and he recognized her... So what? Wuya was released once before then sealed again and is being released once again? Who sealed her the second time? And who sent Jack the box?

Ping pong is not too annoying, but his presence grates on me... namely he just feels lazy; his design and speech pattern is an exact copy of Omi's and while he does not have the same personality, i can't help but think that Omi might have been the same when he was younger. Atleast a character like Jermaine would have felt more original. Heck i might even ask what is even the point of having a new fifth character; though whether or not that will be an issue will depend on how things play out with the rest of the season. I also the idea of the monks having to be the ones to select a new apprentice feels wasted when the choice is so painfully obvious; i mean heck their is so much you could do with the idea that you could revolve an entire season around it alone. Though that being said, i don't really buy into the plot... they are supposed to pick a new apprentice they themselves will train, but this apprentice is supposed to be one of them? I mean he's both an apprentice and one of their equals which just seems weird? It just feels like its nothing more than a half-thought out excuse to get someone new on the team, which again, i'm don't see much of a need for.

Also on the third episode, i don't really see why Chase would join the Showdown like that... if the goal was just to get willow to win, they could have just let her beat Jack instead of making it a 3 way fight; i mean its not like Willow had to prove anything to the rest of them by that point. And where is master Fung going? he just leaves without really giving an explanation for why.

Minor point, i also don't like Dojo's color change... the yellow matches omi too closely. I feel like Blue would have been a better choice if they couldn't keep green; Red would have matched their clothing too closely, while a nice cool color like blue would instead make those hot colors stand out. I also miss Kimiko's ever changing wardrobe.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I've seen the preview of Xiaolin Chronicles, and I have to say, while it wasn't terrible, I also wasn't terribly impressed by it. First, the character of Ping-Pong is an unnecessary addition to the cast. He's just an Omi clone with no originality to him and having both characters around seems redundant. Ping-Pong is like fanfic character, only for real. My biggest problem with Ping-Pong is that he doesn't add anything that Omi doesn't already bring to the show. If they had to have in a 5th warrior at all, it should have been another girl, since my feeling is that any team with more than 4 members should have at least 2 female members. Now as it is, there's now 4 boys and only 1 girl, which I admit I don't like very much.

The new voice actors will take some getting used to (Danny Cooksey was Jack Spicer!). And I don't what kind of budget that this show has and how many voice actors the producers can afford to employ, but it's somewhat confusing for all of the female characters to be voiced by Jennifer Hale. When I first tuned in and saw Willow, I honestly thought that she was Cat Nappy (sp?).

Granted, I was never a big fan of Xiaolin Showdown to begin with, and this new series is likewise just "eh" for me.

9. JThree

JThree Member

Well, I have to say any Xiaolin is better than none at all. Please keep in mind, that some of the changes were not done by choice, but out of necessity. Due to legal clearances, they could only use voice over artists who were born in Canada. We were lucky they could still use Tara Strong, and if her Omi hadn't come back, we would have been in real trouble.

One thing they still kept was Kimiko's dressing to the nines. Her outfits always seem to be colorful, and are in contrast with the boys same old clothes. Contrast that with thirty years ago, when the girls wore the same outfits and dresses week after week on cartoons. Granted, for boys it didn't matter, but for evolution of getting the girls' attention for cartoons it seems to be a nice change of pace.

I miss Grey Delisle voicing Kimiko but I admit the difference was less noticable when Jennifer Hale kept the dialogue short and focused more on Kimiko's inflections, but during the longer monologues you could really tell the difference. The old "zing" wasn't there.

If the stories and the plots get better, we might be so critical in the future. We'll just have to wait and see. But I did enjoy seeing and hearing Omi back. That was fun, and that makes the show "work."

JThree

10. TheVileOne

Reporter

Ping Pong is essentially the Scrappy Doo of this show.

11. Bit Cloud

Bit Cloud Member

You confusing Dai Shi with Guan, Guan was a tall muscular monk who used a spear like weapon, and I see the no problem with how Shen Gone Wu are created, being created by Xiaolin Masters makes since(the Orb of Torpedo was obviously made by a Water Master), I'm just glad they didn't have Dai Shi being the one to create them all he'll be even more of a Gary Stu. I'm looking forward to seeing what new Shen Gone Wu Omi, Ping Pong, Rai, Clay and Kimiko create when they advance.

12. Monte

Monte Active Member

I agree with that. Having the shen gon wu be the products of all the past Xiaolin masters instead of just one seems more interesting. What would work out great is if they take advantage of this change and put in an arc about the current warriors having to craft their own personal Shen Gon Wu. Really, i will be very disappointed if they DON'T end up having to do just that

13. Static

Static I put a shock to your system!

Anyone else catch the "Buddy Blue Ray & the Golden Bunnies" episode last Saturday? It was okay -- I also re-watched the first three episodes, so like it or not, I guess I'm going to have to get used to what this new show is trying to do.

Although, Dojo's hard-on for Master Fung is really annoying and overdone now. It was kind of cute/funny when the writers made jokes about them in Showdown, but here it never stops! And it doesn't help that Dojo's new voice sounds exactly like Barney. Sadly, the rest of the humor continues to be pretty weak as well. The plot did improve a bit with the Warriors trying to locate a talisman that would help them in their quest for a new temple. I just don't like that they're still basically re-discovering Shen-Gong-Wu like the Buddy Blue Ray (formerly Silver Manta Ray), and in future episodes, I hope that Katnappe and Tubbimura actually have some real dialogue like in the original series.

14. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

As much as I agree that neither this show or Teen Titans Go! are anything like the original Teen Titans and Xiaolin Showdown that aired 10 years ago, I would think of those shows as a great way to celebrate the Big 1-0 of the originals.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I watched the recent episode. Didn't think it was that great. That Showdown over the Manta Ray lasted longer than it should.
    One line from this episode really surprised me.
    Jack Spicer: "Despite my race, I have fantastic rhythm!"
    .......WHAT?!

16. TheVileOne

Reporter

Yeah not sure how that got past S&P. Unless Spicer meant that differently.

Parts of this show constantly make me do this:

[​IMG]

17. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Yeah, Dojo actually had hearts in his eyes when Fung returned. I was like, wha?

And yeah, that race line was surprising but funny.

18. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I'm getting really worried about this show and its overall reception, now... And for good reasons...

19. JThree

JThree Member

it would be good if they could move unto another sup-plot or two, like Kimiko's different outfits, why Raimundo isn't the team leader? Or what's the status behind rai/KIm these days? I do agree that the overt affection between the dragon and his former boss was a bit much?

Jthree

20. Infusions

Infusions Showers in Spokane

Jack calling Clay a hick in Showdown gets a pass but the race line is the one that makes you go "WHAT"?