1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

XBOx "Scorpio" and PS4 "Neo" - the death of traditional consoles?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by wonderfly, Feb 15, 2017.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Just read this article on the XBox "Scorpio" and the PS4 "Neo".

Geez, here I was wondering if we were going to be stuck with XBox, Playstation, and Nintendo, going forward, but apparently it's worse then that.

Instead of having a console system for a 5 to 6 years, we could just be looking to have "upgraded" console versions every 2 years, like having to get the latest iPad or iPhone each year, or something...

That would mean no more distinct eras in console generations. No more celebrating a distinct library of games for an individual console (like the library of games exclusive for the XBox 360, for instance), instead you just keep upgrading your hardware...

One of the comments below that article says "Bye bye console gaming. It was fun but I am not investing money into you anymore. I'd rather build a high end pc and all of the capabilities of it." - See, that's what I've always hated - I have a PC for email and message board/facebook purposes, I never wanted to build my own custom PC for gaming. I just want to go to the local Gamestop and buy the latest model and own it for 5 to 6 years before upgrading to the next latest model.

I'm not fond of this "PS4 Neo" and "XBox Scorpio" concept whatsoever.

Thoughts?

2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

"I was wondering if we were going to be stuck with XBox, Playstation, and Nintendo, going forward"

I have to ask why you think we are stuck with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo's game consoles? I'm more than happy to have three options to choose from. I think the game industry has changed enough that no other company is likely going to start developing their own console and games (at least for the time being).

"That would mean no more distinct eras in console generations."

Yeah, this is bothering me about the Nintendo Switch. Is it the first ninth gen console or is it still somehow a part of the eighth gen? It's not backwards compatible with the Wii U and it's not like both systems will be supported simultaneously.

"I have a PC for email and message board/facebook purposes, I never wanted to build my own custom PC for gaming."

I'm not interested in a PC for gaming either. I'm actually thinking of leaving the gaming all together in the coming years. With DLC, paid online, patches, etc., gaming isn't the simple fun it used to be for me and I find myself interested in less games.

So perhaps I'm not the best person to ask. Something like The Last Guardian playing better on the PS4 Pro than the PS4 is not something I'd like to see more of, similar to the New 3DS.

Overall, I agree with you about not wanting to upgrade every two years, but times are changing and I'm not interested in the changes. It remains to be seen if any of this happens the way it's described in the article however.

3. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

It's mostly just nostalgia speaking. In the 90's, we had the Neo-Geo, the 3DO, all of the Sega machines, Atari was still around...

Plus, it seems like the latest consoles aren't as innovative. Boil it down, and the PS4 and XBox One are just a PS3 and XBox 360 with better graphics. And yeah, you could say the same back in the 90's, but...for example, a "Nintendo 64" looked and felt like a generational shift from the Super Nintendo.

But if you can play "The Last of Us" on a PS3 and on a PS4, then you start to lose the distinction in game generations...

I'm leaning towards it's part of the 8th generation. If the Wii U is Generation #8, then Switch is #8.5.

But now we have the Neo and the Scorpio, and those might need to be considered "8.5" as well...but that's the thing, it kind of sounds like we're going to be stuck in upgraded 8th generation consoles, for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

It goes back to what I mentioned in the other thread. Consoles in 5 years might not even be around anymore precisely because of lack of innovation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I understand, but it seems like technology isn't advancing as much as it used to. What should we expect now? Game graphics that look so sharp you can't tell if it's a game or a movie with actors? Do you want to be transported into the game like what VR is offering to an extent? You know what I mean? With the classic 2D games, you could imagine 3D. But now, where else can they go that is huge and revolutionary?
    That's so weird to me if it is. I'm kind of hoping the Switch is ninth gen. Still being part of eighth gen with the Wii U is really odd.
    Agreed. Things are changing and I'm not sure what the future looks like because of these changes.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

The 3DS vs New 3DS thing really torqued me. It's not like the old expansion pak of the N64, where you bought the thingy necessary for one or two games. Something like Hyrule Warriors was almost unplayable on the original.

If MS and Sony want to get into the PC gaming market (which is what this sounds like), then where's the distinction between game system and computer? People already use game systems for the same things they use computers for. Microsoft owns an operating system for both, which I can see eventually merging into the same product (if it hasn't already; I still use Win7 and haven't been on an Xbox since 360). Sony will eventually be getting into the OS market, whether they want to or not.

And of course don't think Apple will take this lying down.

7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I see this all the time and once again, I must disagree. Based on my own experience, Hyrule Warriors Legends plays fine on the original 3DS. The framerate isn't silky smooth but it's completely playable and I have a blast playing it.
    Perhaps they will merge. We could be seeing the same thing with handhelds and home consoles with the Nintendo Switch. If companies like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft feel the need to change with the times to survive, that's what they're going to do.

8. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

i had absolutely NO problems playing hyrule warriors on the 3DS

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SNS

SNS "I am..."

I doubt this is the end of generations. This will probably just be a one time thing and then we move on to PlayStation 5 and the next Xbox.

At most, this might be like the Nintendo DSi and New Nintendo 3DS and we can expect one mid generation revision each time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Well, to be fair, things have really changed with the PS4/Pro X1/S/Scorpio since they now have basically a PC architecture - which technically makes them hybrids closer to a computer than a traditional console. It also makes developing games for them easier as well as porting them to PC. Then there's also the fact that in terms of power consoles have finally caught up with PCs and are able to provide a very similar experience. This mid-gen upgrade with the PS4 Pro/Scorpio does just that. Now multiplatform titles are almost identical. And then there's another fact that there isn't much left to improve at this point. The only things consoles after the PS4.5 and X1.5, if they come at all, might add are marginal. They will both provide 4K60fps, both have a 4K BluRay drive, both have improved consumer-ready VR/AR and that's it. The controllers might be updated, there will likely be better software on board along with better games, etc., but what else? There is nothing else, because nothing else is expected nor needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SNS

SNS "I am..."

There's always more ways to improve. We still don't have games with real time graphics that match the prerendered CGI of blockbuster movies from the 90's much less ones of today.

And even if we do reach a limit for visuals, there would always be more ways to have better AI, more characters on screen at the same time, and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The mid-generation thing isn't exactly new by any stretch, even Atari did it (which isn't the best company to be compared to admittedly). But I think the next big leap/console generation will coincide with VR finally going mainstream.

It's not a tech I was super-enthused on due to horrible memories of 90s VR, but when I finally got a chance to play around with a PS VR, I was taken aback at how far the technology had come since the joke it was a couple decades ago. I think with leaps in graphics processing along with a price reduction of VR units, we could see them as the next big thing that forces us along to a full generation leap and not just this mid-step we're pretty much stuck in currently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Speaking of VR, a few years ago on Conan he played a tech demo of a downhill street luge. It looked really fun, but I don't believe that ever became a full-fledged game, did it?

14. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

It's part of PlayStation VR Worlds, a sampler of VR games for the PS VR.