1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

XBLA Talkback, News and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Opaque, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Didn't you say that last year? Especially because you thought Limbo was going to be another Braid and it turned out to be the year's best XBLA game by the critics? Even you warmed up to it. Besides, every game will still have a demo and a logical explanation. Heck, I'm shocked Galaga is coming out this week and hope it is good.

As for this year's lineup, while I won't get every title, I will try the four non-Kinect games. Toy Soldiers Cold War looks fun and might be worth the full buy.

2. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

I'm also not interested in any game in this year's Summer of Arcade line-up. Everything I care about are the games that aren't part of SoA like Ms Splosion Man, Half-Minute Hero, Bloodrayne, etc.

And seeing Limbo brought up I have to say, while I enjoyed Limbo, it was probably the most overrated game I played last year.

3. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Yeah, I liked it the first time I played it, but the novelty wore off pretty quick for me. Last year's SOXBLA wasn't too great either, but this one doesn't look like much of an improvement especially when the games I'm most excited for this summer are coming out before and after it.

Either way, Half Minute Hero is tomorrow. I can't wait to rock that wicked soundtrack, this is gonna be awesome.

4. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

I gotta agree in that Galaga tomorrow is the only thing I`m looking forward to. Each year before had a bunch of cool stuff.

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Here's a pretty cute review for tomorrow's Half Minute Hero. It has the best description for the series that I've seen so far.

This is something I could have seen myself playing in actual arcades, honestly. Now if only XSeed would bring us the PSP sequel.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Is it fine to double post after a week of no activity?

Because I think some people would be overjoyed to learn that Ms. Splosion Man will be 800 points which is stellar news!

7. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

800 MSP for Ms Splosion Man? Music to my ears.

I just hope it fixes the issues I had with the original game but I have faith that Twisted Pixel learned from their mistakes.

8. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Here's a Quick Look of tomorrow's Ms. Splosion Man!

It seems multiplayer has its own ending. There's a few other tidbits in the Quick Look, but spoil at your own discretion.

Also, there's a demo for Retro City Rampage in Ms Splosion Man.

9. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

Really?!

That's a double bonus! Wait, where did you hear that?

On an unrelated note, I missed out on the discount on Hard Corps Uprising last week, but not for Torchlight. I heard it's pretty good, so I got it at the last minute.

#749 MetroSparkster, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
  10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

The Ms. 'Splosion Man demo was pretty fun. I like how you're actually going outdoors in this game- it seems like a lot (all?) of the first game was in the labs. But in this one, you can hop across Jetsons-like flying cars, and even the first boss battle is exterior.

Ms.'s constant chatter, actually somewhat intelligible compared to Mr., might seem annoying in theory, but it's actually pretty charming and I chuckled at some of the "girly" phrases she randomly spouted.

BTW, how long is Ms. 'Splosion Man going to be 800 points? I assume that's not its permanent price- or is it?

11. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Yeah there are a lot of outdoor environments in this game, it isn't just 50 levels with the same background like last time.

Actually, it doesn't actually get annoying like you'd figure she would. She repeats a lot of things, but the clips don't actually grate on your nerves at all. I'm not really sure why that is.

It will probably be $10 for a while. It might get a sale in about half a year or so like the original did, but XBLA sales are kind of unpredictable.

It's a fantastic platformer altogether, though. I would easily recommend this one over the first one. Way better level design as a whole.

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

^ The level design seems a bit more varied than the first game, so I'd agree. I forgot to mention the DKC-style barrel blasting as a welcome addition to this game. The wires that you hold and slide on, too.

BTW, a bit of easter egg-age: Go play level 1-3. Listen to the tune that the flying car driver is humming. Sounds an awful lot like the Dallas theme song, doesn't it?

13. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

So here is what the Double Dragon II remake looks like:

[​IMG]

Here it is in motion

It's also based on the inferior arcade version. Oh yeah, and it's also $15. So it looks like another fail for the franchise. Sigh.

I don't get why River City Ransom is getting a proper sequel with members of the original team, but Double Dragon keeps getting this shoddy treatment over and over. Give the franchise to someone who gets it, please.

14. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

Please excuse this noobish question, I'm still pretty new to online gaming, so I'm not fully up to date on everythin yet, but is there a way I can see how many bars of connection I have? I've seen people mention they can see how good their connection is by looking at some bars and I'm not sure how to do so myself.

I'm asking this because I think I may have a screwed up XBL connection now. Earlier this year, my connection was fine and I got little to no lag, but now I'm getting a lot of it. I can't even get a match on MK9 now, because it keeps disconnecting right before the fight starts. I'm not sure if that's because of my connection or the netcode. And I'm using a wired connection.

Odd thing is, when I try using PSN I'm not getting lag. And I'm using wireless for that.

15. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Go to System Settings either on the Dash (at the very end of the My Xbox section) or via the Xbox Guide when you hit the Guide button (it will be in the Settings tab if you use the Guide). From there, go to Network Settings. First thing shown will be the available networks and any wireless network will have bars shown (from 0-4). Hit A on the network of your choice, and you can have the option of testing the Xbox Live connection.

On-topic, yeah I should have created the new XBLA thread by now in time for the Summer of Arcade (before Crimson Alliance comes out), but I felt bummed out because of the lack of interest here, even though Bastion, From Dust, ITSP, and now Fruit Ninja Kinect would probably (and are) big hits on XBLA. All I know is that I'm going to get the final SoXBLA game, Toy Soldiers Cold War, despite not playing the original simply because of the GI Joe-feel. That, and the fact I'm slightly broke :sad:

BTW, here's your Xbox Live Indie Games Summer Uprising trailer, as it will start on the 22nd via the Indie Games channel.
    [video=youtube;ASnq9jP_ilk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASnq9jP_ilk[/video]

16. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I have limited bandwidth and can only download freely between 2:00 AM and 7:00 AM. I want to download Toy Soldiers: Cold War tomorrow, but if I were to stay up tonight, what time would it be available for purchase? Does anybody know? I figure it will be 5:00 AM and I don't believe I can stay up that late, but I recall in the past some games being released earlier.

17. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Usually between 5am and 7am EST, though sometimes it shows up on the official Xbox site early, if you dig for it or look at the right forum.

18. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

It was a moot point because my power went out at around 5:40 PM and it was still out at 1:00 AM when I went to sleep. Perhaps if I stayed up it would have came back up on time, but I don't have any portable gaming systems or anything and sitting around in the dark wasn't very much fun. I'll try to download it tonight, but that only leaves me five-or-so days to play it before Deus Ex.

19. Acidonia

Acidonia Master of Monsters

This months and Next months XBLA titles thanks to Neogaf for this
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30344238&postcount=3601

August 24

Crazy Machines: Elements (800msp)
    Hole in the Wall (800msp) Kinect game
    Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition (1200msp)

August 31
    Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection (800msp)
    Rock of Ages (800msp)
    The Baconing (1200msp)
    Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon (800msp)

September 7
    Crimson Alliance (1200msp)
    Leedmees (800msp) Kinect game
    SkyDrift

September
    Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons (1200msp)
    mercury Hg (400msp) Mercury meltdown on Wii and Ps2 is part of same series.
    Orcs Must Die!
    Renegade Ops (1200msp)
    Rotastic

October 5
    Bloodrayne Betrayal (1200msp)

October 19
    Dungeon Defenders

October
    NBA Jam: On Fire Edition (1200msp)

November
    Puddle

"Summer"