1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

XBLA Talkback, News and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Opaque, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

Seems to me like it would be logical to have one thread devoted to all discussion of XBLA. Let's make this that thread.

To give this first post a lot of credibility I figured I'd keep an up to date list of all games that have been announced with their release dates; keep in mind these are subject to change at anytime. Obviosuly I'll remove titles once they're actually acailable on Market Place.

I'd like to start discussion with what I believe is a really interesting event; those of you familure with the indie PC scene might know a game called N. If you are then you know why I'm excited about it being announced for XBLA, if you aren't, well read ahead to find out what it's about and why you're going to love it:

Link

Here's a screenshot; believe me, it's simple looking, but really fun and often chaotic:

[​IMG]

#1 Opaque, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2006
  2. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

even if only I care about XBLA

Source

The only thing that makes me upset about this is the fact that Lumines might get pushed back becuase of this as well.

3. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

It'll be a bummer if Lumines gets pushed back. Though, I'm not too keen on it anymore, given its incremental release (the later levels of the game will require an additional purchase to access).

4. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

Are you sure?

I've never read anything of that nature and according to Microsoft Lumines Live! will be 1,200 Microsoft Points. I can't imagine them charging what is basically 150% of the average XBLA titles cost and then making you purchase more to actually complete the game. Then again, maybe they'll release a "core" version of the game for 800MP and the 1,200MP total comes from the fact that the later levels cost 400MP.

Obviously if you could confirm or deny if any of what I just said is actually what's happening I'd appreciate it.

5. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

Still, no one cares about XBLA :(

I looked into Heavy Weapon for the first time today and I'm really impressed with what I saw:

[​IMG]

source

6. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

Here's the Joystiq article:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/24/lumines-live-to-charge-for-unlockables/

Kind of a bummer.

7. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

I'm not sure if I care enough about Lumines to pay that much. I mean, your average XBLA title retails for 800 points; why would I pay over 2,000 for one?

8. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

source

I'm not the biggest fan of the Mega Man series, but with online co-op of some sorts I'd be all over this.

9. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

Does anyone actually care about XBLA?

I keep posting about new games and no one seems to be interested, which is fine, but I'm going to stop unless this starts getting a response.

10. .Automatisch

.Automatisch j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

It doesn't need its own thread... We can just make threads for games that need them... Like how I made one for SF2.

11. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

Heavy Weapon in XBLA? Easy buy from me.

I've just now discovered Geometry Wars and I'm in love. Can't get past 89,000 points though :p

12. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I know I do! It's easily the best thing about the 360 platform right now.

The XBLA news front is pretty quiet lately, though...

13. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

Making a thread for each individual game seems like a waste when the platform is so tiny. Why not keep clutter down by keeping it all in one thread?

14. .Automatisch

Not if you make them for games that matter... Like we wouldn't need a thread on Scramble...

15. Opaque

Opaque mortal kombat imo

You just contradicted yourself then. If we should make threads for games, but not ones that don't matter, where would we talk about Scramble? Wouldn't it just be easier to keep all discussion in here?

Anyway, there's some news on Space Giraffe:

The video at Youtube

I'm really interested. If nothing else it's going to be beautiful and pricing puts it at five dollars right now, which is worth it if only for the experience.

16. .Automatisch

I suppose, since I'd hope people would do a single thread for VC. But I doubt that's gonna happen, and you'll probably see a hundred Mario64 or OOT threads.

17. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

XBLA's been getting some seriously great releases just lately, so I thought this thread deserved a bump. Just recently I picked up...

Braid

It's easy to see why this game's a critical darling. The graphics are gorgeous, the music is quite pleasant and it manages to pay homage to the roots of the platforming genre without ever letting the genre itself constrain it.

Of course the star of the show are the time-bending puzzles, which are better played than described. There's a lot of originality at work here.

Down sides: the puzzle genre has certain endemic pitfalls. Sooner or later, you'll wind up stuck wondering what the developer wants you to do, which is never fun. And there's not that much replay value in any given level once you've figured out the trick to it. Also, the story is pretty long-winded and pretentious, and is told entirely in pages upon pages of text. Thankfully, it's all entirely skippable thus far.

Castle Crashers

Oh, man. Ridiculously fun beat-em-up action at its finest. The art style is like a deranged mix of Invader Zim and Ren and Stimpy gone medieval. I've been hearing horror stories about the online multiplayer crashing and eating people's saved games, though, so I've been avoiding that, which is too bad, because it's the sort of thing that just begs to be played with people. Supposedly a patch is on the way "soon" to fix the issues.

Also had a chance to try out

Geometry Wars 2

at a friend's house. It has some great new multiplayer modes, but honestly, I think it kind of wears thin after a few hours, even with friends. Additions like powerups I feel don't add enough to be worth the added complexity. It may seem silly, but given all the craziness going on on the screen, having to remember which abstract shapes I'm supposed to avoid/kill and which ones are beneficial powerups is just a little too much to keep track of.

18. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Some of the posts go way back in this thread, more than two years.

Yes, now there is a "Mega XBLA Man" and it's called "Mega Man 9." It comes out in less than two weeks. You might have heard something about it here on Toon Zone. :D

No mention of Pac-Man Championship Edition? That's a fun update of the original game, although it's quite hard to control Pac-Man using the D-pad on the Xbox 360.

19. Draft

Draft Active Member

Bunch of DLC is on sale from big games. I was able to get the Call of Duty maps for Half Price!

20. BigLouMan20

BigLouMan20 Dancin' away my worries

I can say that I'm using my MS Points really fast more than I can say for my still 4000 Wii Points I had since April. I just bought another 1600 points deciding between BC or Castle Crashers, but I might wait on it until that patch comes out.