1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[XBLA & PSN]Dreamcast Classics Announced for Marketplace & PS Store[discussions]

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Jun 10, 2010.

1. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Having only played the DX version, I'd love the Dreamcast build of Sonic Adventure on my PS3.

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Like the IGN article says though, it will have "enhanced "high resolution visuals," surround sound, online leader boards, and trophies and achievements".

Trophies/achievements notwithstanding, if it was the Dreamcast build itself, it wouldn't have any of that stuff, it would just be a "ROM image" of the original, which I don't think is possible, actually. The original DC version had an "Internet" option, but was just for minor things like chat, downloading themes, and other promotional stuff.; an option with very limited longevity. Besides, by "surround sound", I'm assuming that the games will have "Dolby Digital 5.1" (although the DC did support Dolby Surround originally, I think). As for "high resolution visuals", I'm guessing their being upconverted to 1080p (the DC could only support 480p, and only through their "VGA Box", which you could hook up to either a computer monitor, or an HDTV with a VGA jack).

So, these games aren't going to be the original Dreamcast versions exactly, so saying that any game will be "based on the Dreamcast build", is kind of subjective, IMO. At least, that's the impression I'm getting.

3. Mandouga

Sorry for the double post everybody, but I have a bit of bad news regarding Crazy Taxi. Specifically, it's bad news fans of The Offspring and Bad Religion:

Due to licensing issues, the music has been changed for this version.

According to the article, the music has been replaced by "a smattering of punk bands", whatever that means. So, this will defintely be a disappointment for the aforementioned fans of the two bands. Oh yeah, and certain corporate logos have been replaced as well.

Oh, and regarding Sonic Adventure, the article (indirectly) mentions that it's original full frame ratio will be kept, but will add blue boarders. It also seems to imply that it will be a straightforward port (with Crazy Taxi getting 720p and leaderboards), but I don't see how that would be possible, unless they took out the "Internet" option. OTOH, I have no reason to doubt that claim I heard about DLC (only because it seems likely to happen on this game). I guess we'll just have to wait for more info on that. Oh yeah, there's also the issue of the Chao Garden, which uses a separate file from the main game. Personally, I'm thinking that would be DLC since it would be a massive download if it was included with the game.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm basically going through Wikipedia to see what's published by Sega that looks possible or just cool enough to be worth it. Here goes.

Alien Front Online: Aliens fight humans. Players choose a side, choose one of three vehicles with different strengths, and fight it out in an arena-type setting. It works for one player but the game was designed to handle eight people playing online against each other at once. So, yeah, this one seems like a natural fit today.

Bomberman Online: Another game made for online and it's actually part of a franchise people know. Why not?

Daytona USA 2001: I enjoyed this racing game in arcade format from time to time. It seems there are a lot of racing games for Dreamcast though, so I'm just guessing that this would be one to get released earlier.

Ecco the Dolphin: Defender of the Future: Simply because Sega's put out earlier games in collections and such. It may not be a top priority, but I don't see them ignoring this altogether.

Outtrigger: A shooter that could be played from first or third person perspective. IGN reviewed it well.

Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II: It's been dead since the Gamecube/X-Box era. Dare Sega try to resurrect it? They might.

Sakura Taisen: Hey Sega owns the franchise, maybe they'll try translating the first game and see how well it does!....yes, that's half serious. Fans are free to hope, I guess, but it's certainly a fantasy idea more than it is a legitimate prediction. That said, yes, I do want it and I would buy it.

Segagaga: Not a real request but oh my lord, go read about this game right now. That's just hilarious.

Shenmue: Looks like one of the earliest open-world adventure games. Neato. Why wasn't the second game translated to English, though?

Sonic Adventure 2: I think we can all agree that this is a question of when, not if. I don't have the series so I'll buy the first one for PSN.

Space Channel 5: Described as a "listen and repeat" game. From the wikipedia article: " Space Michael, based on Michael Jackson, appears as a cameo in the first game, but becomes a fully involved character in Part 2. After being rescued by Ulala from the Rhythm Rogues, Michael uses his singing skills against a singing robot." ........wow.

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Games I know I want: Marvel vs. Capcom 1, Quake 3 Arena (though I believe Microsoft is bringing this to XBLA anyway, correct?), and Sonic Adventure 2.

Games I've heard are good and wouldn't mind giving a shot: Fur Fighters, Jet Grind Radio, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, MDK 2, Shenmue, Space Channel 5, and Wacky Races.

As for the replaced music thing in Crazy Taxi, that's expected. Perhaps this sounds like a double standard, but I don't really care if licensed songs aren't carried over to future versions. If the music was specifically created for the game, that's one thing, but if, hypothetically, a re-release of Burnout 3 didn't have "Everyone Alive", I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

6. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

You know what games I want see? Blue Stinger, Dynamite Cop and Illbleed. Those games were pretty entertaining. Another game I would like to see is Toy Commander. I still have the Christmas demo and still play every now and then.

7. Mandouga

Actually, it was, but it was released for the original Xbox in North America. I also understand that the Dreamcast version was actually released in Europe, so I'm assuming it (the Dremacast version) does have an English version. That said, if Shenmue II was in fact re-released in North America, it would probably be the pre-existing European version.

8. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I hope they release the X-Box version instead of the Dreamcast. The european DC version didn't have an english dub and was missing some of the updates from X-Box version.

9. Acidonia

Acidonia Master of Monsters

Crazy Taxi Fare Wars on Psp did not have the Original music either although with a 360 you can use custom soundtracks so you can have the original music in the game sorta.

Now only if Sega made crazy Taxi 3 on the Original Xbox compatible with 360 it was all 3 Games on one disc and had the Original Soundtracks.

10. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Yeah, it's so weird that so many people aren't aware Xbox English Shenmue 2 exists, but that many are aware of and pine for the release of an incomplete European localization. I'm not singling out anyone here, I've seen this on several boards since this Dreamcast classics line was announced.

11. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

This post will consist only of cheering so bear with me as I say:

Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue! Shenmue!

12. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

All I gotta say is that I want Capcom in on this. They had so many great DC games that we've never seen again outside the platform.

Well personally, I have the Xbox version of Shenmue 2. I just want a version of the DC original.

As for the Crazy Taxi music... Custom Soundtracks. For a game like CT, it's all about your own soundtrack anyway.

13. Mandouga

Yes, but only if a game supports it. Not all Xbox (or Xbox 360) games support custom soundtracks. Crazy Taxi (and any other Dreamcast game for that matter) might not support it for all we know.

Also, if either Space Channel 5 game were to be released, the appearance of "Space Michael" will now require permission from Michael Jackson's estate, and likely his family as well. If either says no, they'll have to create a "Captain Ersatz" character (with subsequently re-recorded dialogue, and maybe even different motion capture, since "Space Michael" does Michael Jackson's dance moves), and even if both agreed to it, one or the other (likely the former) may require a substantial amount of money for their participation (the only other choice would be to not release either of the gameds at all). As you know, Michael Jackson is no longer with us, and either may decide that it's "too soon" for something like this. No one knows what's going to happen of course, and we don't know if we'll even see either game be released, but it's still something to think about.

14. launchpad20

launchpad20 Active Member

I'd like to see 'Zombie Revenge' on XBox Live Arcade, as well as 'Power Stone'.

#34 launchpad20, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2010
  15. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sega may be releasing the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure, because the Gamecube version had unlockable Sonic Game Gear games. Although there doesn't seem to be a Virtual Console equivalent for portable systems, there could be one soon, and Sega may want to charge for each Sonic Game Gear game individually.

16. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

Crazy Taxi arrives on November 23rd on PSN and the 24th on XBLA.

17. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

Shenmue plz

kthxbai

18. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Is it wrong to want Grandia II? The third game was great albeit slightly cheesy in places after Miranda left the party. But I've heard the second game is a real classic and I want to hear the voice of Ariel play the seductive demoness. XD

19. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

I'd expect a remake of that (and Grandia I) sooner or later. I mean, they must have remade Lunar about 5 times already.

I'd personally like a port of MvC1 in any capacity, but with 2 already up, they seem fine just skipping it.

20. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

Yeah, I'm kinda irked Soul Calibur 1 isn't on PSN but oh well.
    Honestly? Don't get your hope's up for Non-Sega games.
    So any hope of the original MvC or even stuff like Power Stone all comes down to Capcom and other 3rd party studio's. Though I'm pretty sure Capcom vs. SNK warrants a re-release especially since we're getting Street Fight III 3rd Strike soon.

Obviously and hopefully we will see Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, Chu Chu Rocket and even hopefully Skies of Arcadia (Though that might be 3rd Party).