1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[XBLA & PSN]Dreamcast Classics Announced for Marketplace & PS Store[discussions]

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Jun 10, 2010.

1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

Well seems the dreamcast part on the X Box 360 card is indeed true. DC titles will be making their way to XBLA & PSN

The first two games in question is Crazy Taxi & Sonic Adventure. S.A's based on the DC build not Gamecube build

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Source?

I would buy Crazy Taxi if the price is right, though I'll pass on Sonic Adventure 1, being that I already have the GC version.

3. Novapocalypse

Novapocalypse Active Member

4. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Hey, nice. PS2 can't be far away, although that will probably be a PSN exclusive. May even get an E3 reveal.

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Just FYI, the GC port of Sonic Adventure is not as good as the Dreamcast original. I don't know how they managed to make it even more buggy, but they did.

But this is great news. The Dreamcast has a great library. But I'm still saddened we're missing out on some cool Sega CD and Saturn and stuff.

6. Shawn Hopkins

Let's start our wish lists! What games do you want to see? Keep in mind that Sega first party games are probably all we'll get.

I'd kind of like to see Zombie Revenge. My copy is a bit scratched. Ooh, and Outrigger, Alien Front Online and the Dreamcast Virtual On with online multiplayer!

Also, wouldn't it be nice if some unreleased games finally got out this way, like Propeller Arena and Rent a Hero No. 1?

7. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Jet Grind Radio, or course. Being able to play both JGR games on the same system (even if Future is kinda buggy) would be awesome. Shenmue 1 and 2 are most likely certainties, but of course I could do with some Skies Of Arcadia. I never got around to getting it originally.

8. Magus

Magus The Boss

Gotta get a ps3.

So eventually I'll be able to play Shenmue with a PS controller... Yay.

9. Shawn Hopkins

Edited to add: Oops, I screwed up and got the developer on Skies wrong. It should be clear to release.

Myself, I already have both the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions but I have never played them. It's kind of sad.

Maybe if they do release Shenmue 1 and 2 that will spur enough interest that we finally get the ending. If you're going to dream, dream big, right?

10. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I had heard..."elsewhere" that it would be based on the Gamecube version, but with certain "bonus features" being offered as DLC. Indeed, the link you provided only states that they would have "enhanced "high resolution visuals," surround sound, online leader boards, and trophies and achievements".

Where did you hear that it would be based on the orginal DC version?

11. Zeta

Zeta Member

It'd be great to see Phantasy Star Online released as a download game.

12. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

With this, I hope they do Project Justice. This was my fav DC fighter.

13. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

I'll start with the obvious. Yes, I want Skies Of Arcadia on my Xbox 360. Here's my reasons:

1) I never owned the Dreamcast build. I only had the Gamecube version that I got at Circuit City many moons ago, along with Amplitude and Guilty Gear X2. There are some key differences between the 2, mainly...

2) No Vize and company. The GC build had a "Wanted List" of side-quests to take part in. One of these involves a group impersonating you and your friends and doing bad deeds, tarnishing your status. You had to beat them in order to restore your rank back to normal. It was annoying and the reason why I never beat the game.

3) I just want it on my Xbox 360, with Achievements and the 360's controller. Plus, since more and more XBLA games are doing it, wouldn't it be cool to have Avatar Awards for the XBLA versions (and Home unlocks for PSN)? That would be awesome. :anime:

As for other games, I want Jet Grind Radio (to compare it against Aggressive Inline), some of the Capcom games (like Power Stone and its sequel), and Seaman. Also, the Crazy Taxi port better have the Offspring and Bad Religion in it or else no buy. That soundtrack helped make Crazy Taxi Crazy Taxi.

14. Shawn Hopkins

Ooh, that was great. Let my brother borrow that one and something happened to it, now it's way too expensive to pick up. Hope they find a way to add it.

15. Soul

Soul Mainly Lurking Now...

-SIGH-
    Well, I'm definitely glad but guess I gotta upgrade my hard drive soon.

Wish list? Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue, and Power Stone.
    And just DC games I've been recommended to play.

16. Time Wizard

Time Wizard It All Ends Here

I'd love to see Jet Grind Radio, but I think Jet Set Radio Future is much better...

17. Mandouga

Jet "Grind" Radio? You all mean Jet "Set" Radio, right?

The fact that the later Xbox game incorporated the original title means that the "Jet Set..." name had been cleared since then. Also, since these games are going to be updated rereleases rather than "ROM images" of the Dreamcast originals, it seems more likely (to me, anyway) that they'll use the original title. The only reason they used the "Jet Grind..." title in the first place was because of a trademark dispute. Otherwise, they would have called it "Jet Set..." in the first place.

As for me, I don't know if I'd buy it. You see, I once listened to the song "Rock It" from the soundtrack, and I thought a certain lyric said...something else; turned out what I thought I heard was a "mondegreen" (of my creation) of what was really being said, and--no offense--but I'm really not into video games that have songs with "explicit lyrics" (unless they're censored), but I digress.

The point is, I think they might use the original title, since that's what they meant to call the U.S. release to begin with.

As for other Dreamcast games, I wonder if they'll release games that were previously Japan only (i.e., the second Space Channel 5, which did see a U.S. release on the PS2). Shenmue II? Only if they released the first along with it. Maybe (just maybe, mind you) they might even give us the earlier Sakura Taisen games (the first two of which were Saturn releases, but were ported the Dreamcast). I once read about a game called "Napple Tale" which was developed by an all-female development team. I'd like to play that. One game that I suppose you could call "most wanted" would be Chu Chu Rocket, the first to have online multiplayer. I would also like to see Samba de Amigo as well. The game play could be recreated using the twin sticks (or the two upcoming "motion controllers" as well, I guess...).

Someone mentioned that we might only see Sega games on here. IMO, however, they also need to add third party games if they want to keep people interested...

18. Shawn Hopkins

I agree with you that there's no reason not to use the original, better-sounding title but your reasoning for rejecting the game is just silly. It didn't have dirty lyrics, you just misheard it. Your logic is the kind of thing that led to Louie Louie getting banned from radio stations.

I know that by Jet Set Radio Future they were definitely censoring the lyrics, because they censored a very funny line from one of my favorite Cibo Matto songs, "Birthday Cake."

Anyway, you're missing out. The music is the highlight of the game for me. I especially like the Guitar Vader songs on the soundtrack.

I wonder how music rights are going to affect these games. They might have to take the Rob Zombie song Dragula off the Jet Set Radio soundtrack, which would probably actually make some Otaku happy.

19. Mandouga

That's just it, though. I did indeed mishear it. On "Rock It On" (which in certain places sounds almost like AC/DC's "Highway to...", well, you know the rest :) ), I thought that the lyric in question said "Back at 'cha, homie", but I later learned that it was in fact, "Rock that s***, homie". That was the "explicit lyric" I mentioned. As far as I know, most of the other songs don't have swearing in them, but because of the nature of this one, for me personally, even one time is one too many, unless of course, they censored it. Unfortunately, Rock It On is one of those songs where Hideki Naganuma causes certain samples to repeat. The lyric I mentioned is heard frequently in this song; there's even a part where it goes "...'cha homie, ...'cha homie" repeatedly (which again is what I thought it sounded like).

I guess I should have mentioned that earlier. Oh yeah, I just looked it up, and it's called "Rock It On". Sorry about that. In any case, Shawn, it was indeed a "dirty lyric", but I had misheard it as something else. Unless, that particular sample actually does say "Back at 'cha, homie", or maybe the "explicit" version was also a misheard lyric?

FWIW, I do know that Crazy Taxi censors certain lyrics (and The Offspring and Bad Religion aren't exactly family friendly bands either, especially the latter)...

20. Shawn Hopkins

He's not saying what you think. It's "Rock it" something, like the title of the song. Sounds more like "Rock It Shinobi."