1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

X3: Halle Berry or Bryan Singer?

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by JohnCrichton, May 23, 2006.

1. JohnCrichton

JohnCrichton An astronaut!

I heard that's what it came down to and that's why Singer's not directing this one.... is this true?

2. CookieS

CookieS Active Member

I doubt it. He had the option to direct "Superman Returns." He wanted to kick off a new franchise with the one character that's bigger than the X-men! Besides, if they wanted to write out Halle's part, it could have been very easy to do. There are so many characters to focus on.

3. Marc

Marc Friend from another star?

What does Marc Singer have to do with X-Men? Did you mean Bryan?

As for Halle, I love her and I really like the character of Storm, but I never cared for how she was handled in these movies. Whether that was Singer's doing or Halle's performance, I can't tell. Maybe a little of both. As an ensemble film, you obviously can't develop every character as well you could in a TV series or comic book series. I think focusing on Wolverine was the wise thing to do. Unfortunately, that means certain important characters like Cyclops and Storm get the short end of the stick. While I think that Singer did a fantastic job with the first two films, that doesn't mean another director couldn't have done as good a job if not better. The X-men as a franchise, just like Superman or Batman or Spider-man, is bigger than one director or actor.

- Marc

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I was just about to say... Marc Singer is the guy who played BEASTMASTER. Bryan Singer is the director.

(Although they are cousins. :) ).

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

I thought it had to do with Warner Bros. offering him more money to do Superman.

6. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

That would be my guess.

Also, Singer has said he's a long-time fan of Superman, which I'm sure had a part in it.

7. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

The only reason Singer's not doing X-Men 3 is because he decided to do Superman Returns first and the studio didn't want to wait for him. If it came down to a situation where it was either going to be Singer or Berry, let's just say there would be clear skies in X-Men 3.

-Terminatah

8. Mike Spartz

Mike Spartz Underrated Performer

Singer wanted to do Superman Returns before X3. Therefore, Fox fired him and brought in Brett Ratner. I don't think his departure from the film had anything to do with Halle Berry.

9. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Halle's ego is bigger than her talent. She wants to be Catwoman and Storm and any other major female character, if you'll let her. That woman seriously needs to sit down and be quiet for a while.

Bryan wanted to handle Superman (not that way!) because he's the "utlimate" hero (in the minds of many, just not me). I wouldn't think Halle was so important she'd be involved in his decision to leave the production of the third film.

But I do know that Halle demanded more screentime in X3 and is getting it.

Her portrayal of Storm has been very uneven. Her accent changed between the first two films, and it's not like she was kept out of the movie. Jean Grey never really recieved all that much development, aside from having two guys interested in her, yet Famke tried to build a background behind the character. We come to understand her without getting any real exposition. That's good consistant acting. Halle just winged it and complained because it wasn't all about her. :shrug:

But I also blame the writers a bit. Halle dumb frog dialogue didn't help her case much, and neither did her not saving Jean in X2 when her powers are to control weather and forces of nature...like WATER! How about whipping up a twister to lift the plane out of there Storm? Storm...? Nevermind. You're thinking about your next Revlon commericial again...

10. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

If Jean was stopping Nightcrawler from teleporting her out of there I bet she could stop Storm too, and we have seen nothing that indicates she can manipulate a giant wall of water. That's not the weather.

11. Mike Spartz

Mike Spartz Underrated Performer

To be honest, I don't blame Halle for wanting a bigger role in X3 and I'm happy she's getting it. Storm was so underdeveloped in the first 2 X-men movies that it was scary. IMO, Jean had an important arc in X2 with the development of her powers. What did Storm get? A one minute converstation with Nightcrawler and a short blizzard scene in Dark Cerebro. If I was Halle, I'd fight for more screentime too, expecially when the character you portray is an extremely popular one with fans. Who wants to play a character that doesn't develop as the movies progress?

12. Beyond Batman

Beyond Batman The Tomorrow Knight

That's insane. That's not why Singer signed on with Superman Returns.

Superman is the definitive superhero. Superman started it all. He's an iconic legend whose image can be recognized all over the world no matter what generation you present it to. Singer wanted to be a part of that legend.

As a kid, Singer loved Superman. Being able to direct a Superman movie was childhood dream for this guy. Looks like he's living out his dream.

Halle Berry had nothing to do with his departure from the X-Franchise.

13. solarflere

solarflere Active Member

As Storm said in the first movie when Logan asked her to use the wind to lift him up to Rougue, she said that she could not controll it like that. There is no way she could pick up the X-Jet with her powers, she would have smashed it into pieces using a twister.

14. Storm

Storm Active Member

Steps out of his dark corner of solitude....

As much as certain people are tired of hearing how overrated Wolverine is... I'm sick and tired of hearing Halle Berry getting treated as the scapegoat for Singer's departure or being a ego driven diva. The portrayal (in writing, direction and acting) of Storm in the first two films alone were uneven. Was she the worst actress in the film? No but she's by no means someone who nailed the role the first time (X2 she was better) and with the butchered writing and lack of development of her character I really don't blame her. Also the African accent was tough to nail. It was confirmed by one of the dialect couches for X2 that Berry only had two weeks to master it (in the first film) and since that accent being the hardest to master Singer and Co. decided to drop it because the dialect couch wanted more time with Berry to master it properly and they didn't have the time. The accent was dropped. Besides NONE of the accents in the X-films aren't really that impressive.

The character of Jean Grey got more development and exposure than Storm. She had the love triangle with Scott and Logan and the whole forshadowing of her Phoniex powers. What did Storm get? The pep talk with Nightcrawler, interaction with the students and causing a blizzard in the Cerebro room while piloting the plane for most of the film. Screentime is WAY different when it comes to how a character is writing is USE that screentime. While re-watching X1 and X2 this week I noticed Storm never had major interaction with the team. She was just there. She she would spat out powerful lines like "At least I've chosen a side" and "Sometimes anger helps you survive" but that's it? I'm sorry about every other character (excluding Cyclops) had more "development" than Storm. Storm was merely background and used for jazzy F/X purposes. Storm didn't have a voice in neither films and we don't know jack about her. We do know more about Wolverine, Jean, Rouge, Iceman, Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique though. It's all about how you use the hints and wink. Just like Mystque's line in X1 where she tells Senator Kelly how she was afraid to go to school as a children due to people like him. That says a lot about her character.

I don't blame the writers a bit. I blame the writers a lot. There's a lot we can know about Storm without getting into the whole Goddess history or making the film all about her. Berry has stated: "I think she evolved quite nicely, especially considering that there's a bunch of other great characters that need some evaluation and development and screen time. I thought just the one sentence in the beginning of the movie when she says, you know, that she realized that she was from Africa and in her country, with her powers she was revered and in this country she's put down upon. That alone said a lot about who she was, where she came from, and what her struggles was all about."

Perfect. That's all was needed. Just a little mention of her past speaks louder. In X3 we'll also hear her political views and have Storm cut loose with her powers and be the strong leader she has always been in the comics and animated series. Bryan Singer never wanted Storm in his films. Fox "forced" him to use Storm to draw in more female and black audience members so he never tried to get Storm. Brett Ratner and the writers did. I adore Singer's vision but he never tried to development Cyclops or Storm and as a longtime X-Fan that's just wrong in my book.

About Storm's powers.... I'll reiterate what solarflere said Storm can't (or couldn't) control her powers like that. Storm needs to see what she aiming. Storm can't control water. She can control the weather and I doubt Storm could lift the X-Jet with a heavy gust of wind and Jean manipulated both Nightcrawler and the X-Jet she could of and probably did manipulated the other X-Men members as well.

Well I guess this ends my retirement.

- Storm

15. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

What happens when a Bryan Singer gets hit by lightning?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...):p