1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"X2: X-Men United" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Stu, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

The mutant movie event of the summer arrives on DVD!

[​IMG]

Synopsis: Professor Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and his X-Men return in this sequel, facing their most dangerous mission ever when an ex-army commander with mysterious ties to Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) launches an anti-mutant program. The X-Men, with new additions Nightcrawler and Colossus, must unite with their enemies to save both mutants and men.

Bonus Features:
    Disc One:
    • Audio commentary from director Brian Singer with John Ottman and Tom Sigel
    • Audio commentary from Lauren Shuler Donner, Ralph Winter, Michael Dougherty, Dan Harris and David Hayter
    Disc Two:
    • Deleted scenes
    • 'The Secret Origin Of X-Men' featurette
    • 'Nightcrawler Reborn' featurette
    • Multi-angle sequence: Nightcrawler attack
    • 'Evolution In The Details: Designing X2' featurette
    • 'United Colours Of X' featurette
    • Wolverine / Lady Deathstrike fight rehearsal footage
    • 'The Second Uncanny Issue Of X-Men - Making X2' documentary
    • 'Introducing The Incredible Nightcrawler' featurette
    • Nightcrawler stunt rehearsal footage
    • Nightcrawler time-lapse footage
    • 'FX2 Visual Effects' featurette
    • 'Requiem For Mutants' featurette
    • X2 global webcast highlights
    • Image galleries featuring over 800 pictures
    • Trailers

Note: This thread is to discuss the DVD release of X2: X-Men United only! Go here to discuss the movie!

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -X-Men 1.5 DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

2. The Drizzle

The Drizzle BARRY! =(

I'll be getting it (and watching it) after work. :D :D :D

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Active Member

I'll get the box set in a few weeks. Can't afford it right now.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

Like everyone else, I just picked the DVD up this morning and I've only had time to go through the trailers and a handful of deleted scenes. I can't wait to give the second disc a well deserved look, especially if it's going to mention the comic books. I'm always interested to see how big, mainstream releases like these handle comic book info.

5. czyznyck99

czyznyck99 Active Member

The Really Long Czyz-nit on X2: X-men United DVD.

I've had this thing for over a week, but didn't feel like watching it until Saturday.

The Movie - Originally gave it 3.5 stars. Thought about changing it, but then I'd have to do a Czyz-nit on it, and I'm too lazy to do that. The rating is the highest I've ever given a comic book movie, and the only one I've given over 2 stars, so that's fine. The best comic book movie ever made (and a good movie overall), and I don't think anything else is going to beat it anytime soon. So why get this DVD? The extras, or so Fox leads you to believe.

Histoty of the X-Men 1 - Nightcrawler - Chuck Austen talking about how he was introduced to Nightcrawler in high school, and he's a childhood fantasy. Got a lucky break with Marvel and started writing for them (as he had gone beyond just wanting to draw). Anyway, by the time Austen took over, Kurt had evolved from being "the funny guy" to the "diehard preist." Austen wanted to go backwards, and this is what really hurt the Uncanny X-Men book, BTW. Seriously though, it was the least of the X problems. Talks about the Nightcrawler prequel, basically telling the entire story. Makes it sound better than it really was, although it wasn't too bad. 1.5 stars, as it was basic interview stuff.

History of the X-Men 2 - The looooong one - All of it was commentary from the X-Men 1.5 thing. But it's nice to see if you haven't seen it before. 2 stars.

Pre-production - The Nightcrawler Attack - Four step sequence showing how they did the awesome opening attack scene. 3 stars.

Pre-production 2 - Designing X2 - Basically consturcting all the sets that were used in the movie. Pretty funny stuff involving the skeletons used in the museum, since they were very real. And of course, the subliminal X's all around the outer design. Okay, sure. Then the designer goes on to talk about the mutant display in the "evolution" section (this is where Jubilee is walking through in a deleted scene), which actually looks okay. Talks about the replica Oval Office and the actual church they used, too. Not bad at all, either. 2.5 stars.

Pre-production 3 - United Colors of X (aka Costume Design) - Louise Mingebach (who practically does all of Singer's films) runs through the costumes. Jean has a blue Phoenix bird symbol on her jacket, look for it during the church scene. Cool. 1 star, as they actually didn't do a whole lot differently from the first film, just added some more detail to everyone's already established style, and made everyone's costumes more comfortable.

Production 1 - Wolvie vs. Lady D - Seeing the stuntpeople going through the motions. 1 star.

Production 2 - Making of X2 - Singer calls the whole thing a "saga." Certainly looks that way. Emphasizes the importance of keeping the same cast around so that the audience can see their evolvement (pay attention, Halle). Anyway, they cover in detail the Pyro scene where he decimates police cars. That's some cool physics. Making stuff spin, then blow up. Cyclops explains how he gets to do a little stunt work with his fists, so the world knows that he isn't some 350 lb. lazy bum who just puts his hand to his visor and releases red fury. Might as well be fat and lazy, because he was only in this movie for another ten minutes. Ends with Jean walking in the final scene with the X-men starting down the president. Yeah, that was an outtake, and it was pretty funny. Good stuff, just wish that it had chapters, as it's annoying to fast forward through 55 minutes to get to the outtake. I haven't even begun looking for the Easter Eggs yet. 3 stars.

Production 3 - Nightcrawler, again - Alan Cumming went through hell to get the part. I thought he had connections. Oh, wait, that was Wyatt in Josie and the Pussycats (played by Cumming, and the only bright spot in that movie, too). He even got a movement coach to train him to teach him how to fight while dancing. That's what it looked like from here. When the coach says "feel the tail," something weird is going on. And Nightcrawler really did tear his pants open, so I guess that early released photo has some legitamacy to it after all. Singer wants some green tattoos to mix in with the blue face. That's why he's a genius. Not even the make-up guy thought of that. Okay stuff, 1 star.

Production 4 - Nightcrawler, again, again - Stunts for the opening. Getting tired of this. .5 star, since I actually see some stuntwork I hadn't seen before.

Production 5 - Nightcrawler putting on his face - Time-lapse sequence of Kurt getting his game face on. Why they didn't do this for Mystique, I have no idea. Fast forward actually makes this pretty good. 1 star.

Production 6 - Visual effects - 800 effects for this movie. Michael Fink beat himself up because he wants bigger and better effects. So what does he do? He goes ahead and does it. Runs down the dogfight with the tornados, Nightcrawler teleporting, Magneto's mostly CG escape from prison, Cerebro, and the dam breaking. Not bad, because not only was it heavily detailed, it worked. 2 stars.

Post-production - The Music w. John Ottman - Basically breaks down how the music went back to the orchestral theme of the sci-fi movies of the 70s and 80s, in reality, just not what Micheal Kamen (RIP) did in the first movie. Also breaks down some of the character's themes in the movie, most notably Jean Grey (she was this movie when Wolverine wasn't around), and Pyro's sympathetic evil music. Bash all I want to about Marvel, but they do know their sympathetic villians, and I like Pyro's music for some reason. Described Mystique's music as "erotic, but evil." Whoa. And Magneto just gets chords. Eventually Singer and Stewart crash a recording session. It's rare that people get to see how film scores are actually thought out. I could spend days watching this ten-minute segment. This is why post-production takes so long. And I'll admit, the score ended up being pretty good. 3 stars.

Post-production 2 - X2 Global Webcast - It's everyone getting about 45 seconds to tell a little something about themselves, or to give out a funny story. That's too bad, there should have been a transcript or something, the webcast was pretty funny, for those with a high speed connection, of course. Everyone else with DSL or under was pretty screwed. 1.5 stars.

Deleted scenes - They were up at Superherohype weeks ago, but whatever. Shoulda = should have been in the movie, Better off = better off not being in the movie.

1. Extended Wolvie vs. Lady D - Certainly had better lighting than what was in the movie, but this was before final production. Shoulda.

2. Wolvie kills a soldier in the kitchen - Pretty nasty. Definately Shoulda.

3. Mystique looking up Striker - Finds out about Nightcrawler, and about the guard she ends up feeding iron to, as well. It was pretty important plot stuff that makes a lot of sense. Shoulda.

4. Nightcrawler bamfs to save the kiddies - It was just one more bamf. Better off.

5. Jean and Storm in the X-jet - Pretty awkward moment as Jean shows off her powers. Better off.

6. Jubilee at the Museum - Jubes walks around looking at stuff, and holds back her electric powers. Not worth much. Better off.

7. Pyro starts a fire - In three seconds. Better left to the imagination of the viewer to figure out where the fire came from. Better off.

8. Kid puking after bamfing - Purely a funny moment, and at this point in the movie, we are way past funny, so better off.

9. Rogue helping kids out of the mansion - Simply tells them to run away and find the first house they see. I thought the mansion was pretty far from neighbors for a reason. Better off.

10 and 11. Professor X and Cyke "escaping-" I'm torn on this. But add in with the 11th clip, and it's a definite shoulda. Gotta swerve the fans to keep them awake.

Overall - not bad. 2 stars.

Galleries - Lots of pics. Way more than any DVD I've seen. Then again, it's a comic book movie. But the pics are pretty small. And the Sentinel designs are ugly. 1.5 stars.

Trailers - Stuff you've seen already, including a public service announcement about drunk driving. Didn't really belong, but it's for a good cause, so I'll let it go. You can also get three free issues of Ultimate Spidey, probably from 53, or more specifically, after the Black Cat issues. Never the issue fans really want. .5 star

Overall - You're kidding right? After all of the stuff I've spilled about the extras, you actually think I want you to buy it? If you are an absolute X-Men fan, then you are going to get it anyway. Otherwise, seriously, don't bother. It wasn't bad or anything, but it's just a load of commentary, or other stuff that's spilled on online interviews and such. And over half the stuff you can download if you know where to look. 2 stars.

Later.

6. Batmex

Batmex Avengers Assemble!

Hombres X in español! :D

I'm glad it had a spanish audio track, I'm watching it right now, good dubbing not just cold, bad acting, hehehe they kept their names in english tough and it matches the english dub 99% word by word.

now to the extras disc.......................

7. Hatter

Hatter Active Member

Oh god, Chuck Austen is on this DVD?
    Maybe I'll wait a while longer before picking it up...

8. Stu

He's only on it for a few minutes. He talks about his carear a bit and how he used to draw (quite well from what I saw) and now writes. We all know how that went :eek:

He also tells you exactly what happened in the Nightcrawler preview comic, no need to pick it up now!

Has anyone found any easter eggs yet? Methinks that a blooper reel should be on there somewhere...

9. Parallax

Parallax Active Member

Good movie, but the deleted scenes suck. I guess they left everything good in the movie. [​IMG] Haven't watched any else on the 2nd Disc yet.

10. Jimmy Kustes

Jimmy Kustes Duncanzits

One of the best DVDs ever!

11. wrenchien

wrenchien Active Member

if that's true, i let it get away, then. but the one with the pelicans in it and all the seagulls that say 'MINE!' i did.

maybe in a month or so i will get this one. that nightcrawler teleporting sequence alone is worth the purchase . probably won't ever delve into extras for a very long time, though, on any dvds i ever get. probably wear the dvd player loading them all over and over.

wish they made dvds sans extras. probably would sell for those just wanting to watch the movie but aren't super rich.

anyway..

'MINE!''MINE!''MINE!''MINE!''MINE!''MINE!''MINE!'

, wrenchien.

12. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

The DVD was only $14.99 at Ciruit City, which is cheaper than the VHS at most places. I don't know how much cheaper you want it to get...

Anyway, I got this DVD on Tuesday, but have yet to watch it...yeah, I'm slow. :eek:

-BB

13. Stu

The disc WAS released sans extras. There is a single disc available. I hope this trend dies a fast death, I had to go to 3 different stores to find the 2 disc set, which was shocking after there had been ads running for it all week. DVDs are aimed are a luxory item, not intended for those who don't have a lot of disposable income, thats why VHS are still about.

14. Jaguar

Jaguar Cogito ergo doleum

An awesome DVD for an awesome movie. The second disc was chockfull of so much goodness I could barely find time to watch it all. I almost cried when I took it back to Blockbuster. Oh well, at least I found something else to put on my Christmas list.

15. Batmex

Batmex Avengers Assemble!

Any easter eggs there at all?

I't will be neat to find outakes/bloopers as a hidden feature :)

16. TheScarecrow

TheScarecrow The Master Of Fear

I believe there are no Easter Eggs in the set, which is a shame.

As a whole, I felt the extras are good but not nearly as good as the extras on X-Men 1.5, which also has no useless extras like public service announcements taking up space that could've been used for TV spots. I still recommend buying it though, because it is a GREAT action/science-fiction/fantasy film in a franchise based on a great comic book mythology.

I give the whole thing four stars; about the same thing I give to X-Men 1.5 because that disc set has great extras while X2 has the better movie so they both cancel each other out that way. Both are worth owning, imo.

17. Space Lion

Space Lion It's a lion!

I have a question about the actual film on DVD. This counts as a spoiler. So, if you don't want to read, exit now.

Still here? Okay.

During the scene when Storm and Nightcrawler rescue the children from the underground cell, Nightcrawler can be seen in the wall of the cell before he gets down there to rescue them, and it seems as if he's already down there, looking around. In the next few frames, Storm looks down into the cell, then looks back (I presume at Nighcrawler, giving him the signal to get down there), and Nightcrawler is in the cell.

I don't remember seeing that in the theatrical version of the movie, and I think it's very confusing. Can someone tell me if that's a mistake or not?

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

If you got a question for the movie, why not just try the movie discussion thread? I bet that will help you get your answer quicker and more informative. Here's the link to it if you are interested:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?threadid=74801

And sales are great! Looks like another big hit for Marvel! Here is what Variety and Superhero Hype put online:

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's DVD and VHS versions of X2: X-Men United earned an estimated $107 million, or about half its entire theatrical gross, in just its first five days.

Universal's "Bruce Almighty" was second in stores, with consumers spending $80 million buying 5 million copies of the movie that generated $243 million in theaters earlier this year.

With overall worldwide box office grosses on X-Men and X2 at about $700 million, home video revenue from the U.S. alone will push the franchise past the $1 billion mark. Video revenues from the original movie, released on Thanksgiving weekend in 2000, and this year's DVD exclusive X-Men 1.5 have generated a combined $180 million.

X2 has already sold 6 million units in its first week of release and is on pace to sell more than 10 million copies and approach the title's $215 million theatrical gross earlier this year.

Fox also projects an estimated $170 million from overseas home video sales of X2 that will be added to about $125 million from overseas customers on the first one, bringing global revenues from theatrical and video on the franchise to nearly $1.4 billion.

I knew the DVD would do great - I'm just glad to see it doing this well!

19. Icer

Icer Active Member

Good news, hopefully Marvel notices this and tries to speed things up with X3 a little.

20. Weibart

Weibart Intercept Now!
    Reporter

i thought the extras were great. i'm very glad stan lee gave credit to jack kirby in the history of the xmen featurette, he deserves it. i enjoyed brian singer's commentary, some interesting tidbits here and there. the visual effects animators might as well have been speaking klingon, couldn't understand a word of their techno geek babble, though it was interesting watching them explain bamfing and twisters, etc. a much better dvd than the first one, though i'd bet there'll be a XMen 2.5 dvd somewhere down the line, before the 3rd one hits.