1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Universe" Movie News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Look it up brosky, its not privileged information.

I don't think you realize how funny that statement is when applied to the X-Men franchise. Last Stand made the most money of any X-Men movie cept for the last two yet it didn't triple its budget and it almost killed the franchise. But, if it was the highest grossing X-Men movie for 11 years does that make Ratner a great director? Do we argue that Fox needs to pick any director that says yes since Ratner delivered them its biggest money maker for a decade? But it only doubled its budget, so then what happens? First Class, its terms of its gross to budget ratio was more profitable than Last Stand, it was loved by critics but made the least money by a couple million. How do we judge that? Lets look at Wolverine Origins. It tripled its budget easily, but Gavin Hood delivered the worst movie of the franchise and arguably killed it. So was Hood a good-great director? I guess my point is that what you're saying falls apart rather easily when you actually break it down. The X-men movies have never been much for Box Office gross, I mean if an Avenger movie ever made 736 million I think the MCU would be scrapped. The bar in terms of profit is very low for Fox my friend.

See bro, if you don't understand what I'm saying then just ask, "what do you mean". Don't misinterpret my statement because that's how these arguments begin. In terms of their core X-men franchise, not including Deadpool or whatever future plans they have with the new mutants, there in pretty bad shape.

2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

With a $178 mil budget, and pretty soon about to cross $300 mil, I highly doubt FOX is gonna get disappointed. Theyll break slightly even, so what? We just have to see how the spinoffs do.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Exactly. While X-Men Apocalypse didn't take over the box office in the same way Deadpool did, it's in no way a failure. I believe Fox will recognize that.

I don't think Fox will change their X-Men movie plans or anything. They might just readjust their plans. Fox will likely continue with the next Wolverine and Deadpool movies. Personally, I'd set New Mutants in the current time-line with Deadpool rather than in the 90's since I think it's about time we move on from the 'past' movies. Then X-Force can follow up the next Deadpool.

I'd love Wolverine III to close Logan's story and make room for X-23. New Mutants could feature the classic comic team and Negasonic with mentorship from some of the original trilogy team (ex. Professor X, Colossus, Storm, Cyclops). I'd cancel Gambit if I were Fox and focus on the New Mutants and Deadpool/X-Force both in present day. I don't think Apocalypse's reception and box office outcome will derail Fox's X-Men train.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It'd be nice if we finally had a consistent, main, X-Men timeline rather then jumping back and forth from the past, present, and future depending on the movie :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

I definitely think there's audience burnout on the X-Men movies in general - what with the series going on for 16 years and all - and I think having Apocalypse be the fourth superhero movie in four months was a pretty big scheduling mistake, because the movie got lost in the shuffle pretty badly. That said, while the box office is disappointing it's not a disaster, and Deadpool turned so much profit that they can easily swallow a weaker box office for Apocalypse.

It's not a bad idea for Fox to cool it with the mainline X-Men movies for a while. Deadpool was a huge hit, so they can continue to build from there, and as long as they keep the budgets under control for movies like the third Wolverine and New Mutants they should be good for a while.

There are a lot of people calling for X-Men to return to the MCU, and I'd like to see that eventually one day, but not any time soon. If they were to reboot X-Men it would have be after a long break of no X-Men movies. This isn't like Spider-Man, where all Marvel is asking is for you to forget the two Amazing movies. This is a hulking 16+ year franchise that you're rebooting. Plus, the MCU is bursting at the seams with characters as it is, I think incorporating the X-Men would throw everything out of whack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. the greenman

I'd much rather see Marvel continue their cosmic adaptations with the FF characters first.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

8. the greenman

I don't think it's much doom & gloom as people are giving it. FOX just needs to be smarter about scheduling and such. Apocalypse might have a been a better fit for this Fall around Sept/Oct.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

At the Saturn Awards, Kinberg appears to tease the next X-men film.

10. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Just another X-men feel was less of an issue than the "bombast" of just another Marvel romp with all the familiar ingredients in place. That's not Singer's forte...it is Kinberg's.
    Gambit needs to be more of a heist movie than Ant-Man and strive to develop an ambitious underbelly of mutant thieves. Much like how New Mutants is delving into mystical paranormal with a teen drama edge or X-Force could be doing a military ops team of antiheroes.

11. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Fox would be better off firing Simon Kinberg and hire Marvel Studios to run their X-Men franchise.

Can't take no more of this Kinberg running Fox Marvel franchise to the ground.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Just Kinberg? Maybe they should get rid of the other producers like Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, and Hutch Parker. And it's only 5 years or so, but Fox ain't making a deal like that with Marvel Studios anytime soon, imo, after they lost Daredevil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. the greenman

Like I said before, the best person to replace this regime is Joss Whedon. Maybe not even as a director, but at least a writer. I think the best director to infuse some new energy would be Joseph Kosinski of Tron Legacy with Whedon giving guidance.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

I haven't seen enough of his shows to get a feel for Matt Nix's style. Reads like a back-basics story.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh. Interesting development. I've seen a lot of Burn Notice so I might tune into this show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It sounds like it's going to be a Morlocks focused show which I guess is a fine alternative to something focused on the Hellfire Club :sweat:?

Really, what I'm more interested in is whether this new, closer, working relationship between Marvel and Fox is going to lead to something o_O.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Good catch. Morlocks. Beating the dead horse but I hope this show is canon to the movies because it sounds like an intriguing alternative P.O.V. from the two human parents and mutant child than the movies haven't done and likely won't and explore/flesh out other aspects of the continuity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Well with the Morlocks they might be able to get into more of the X-Factor stories which all I've wanted to begin with.

• Like Like x 2
  20. the greenman

I think I am a little sad about Hellfire, but I also think it was more than likely gonna cost some serious cash. Honestly, I'm still not really in love with the First Class depiction. I think they should go back to the weird seemingly out-of-date Victorian era style team like in the 90's series.

• Like Like x 1