1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Universe" Movie News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

I honestly hope he doesn't ever come back. It's funny because I've never understood the acclaim Singer gets for his X-men movies. The dude made one great X-men movie 13 years ago but its pretty clear that unless Stewart, Mckellen or Jackman are with him he doesn't really have much to offer to this universe he's created. The comic book movie game has passed this dude by, and lets be honest, if the original cast hadn't come back for DoFP, it more than likely would of never received the money (at partly as it was) or acclaim that it ended up getting.

Plus, its better if he doesn't come back. This current X-Men universe is pretty much played out, just let it die and and lets focus on what else the X-men universe can offer (and hopefully in hands that know what there doing)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, I would love a reboot from Joss Whedon. The problem is, Singer might still be on board as EP giving notes about stuff. Unless Donner decides to let Whedon do whatever he wants and start from stratch. Unfortunately, not sure if Whedon and FOX are on good terms anymore.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, if Whedon can feel willing to work with Marvel Studios again after Age of Ultron, maybe he'll be open to working on an X-Men movie in-spite of how Fox has treated his properties in the past :sweat:?

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm over Singer and Whedon, I want to see them tackle some original ideas and stay away from directing a franchise.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tohya

I have to wonder if Fox will actually want to retain Singer after Apocalypse's run is all said and done. 80 million in this day and age is nothing to be proud of, and given how much critics have despised the movie, I can't see why Fox would pull a WB and keep on someone who is so clearly out his element. I mean, I watched the movie and I remember thinking to myself that this dude is completely out of ideas.
    You don't need big name directors, hell Vaughn was just a dude who made Guy Ritchie movies before Fox handed him the keys to Last Stand, and he ended up making arguably the best X-Men movie in First Class. See also Tim Miller. You just need a director and writers who understand and are passionate, not just a big name director.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Fox can use a Sony type deal for X-Men, Let Kevin Feige run the show and remove Simon Kinberg. If Fox want to make a billons dollars at the box office there going to have give up the rest of the merchandise rights, If they do that it would only help them bigtime.

#86 dmxx116, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  7. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

He's doing another movie and he's already put it out there that this is his last for a while. They can't get him back until years later.

My issues on Apocalypse was more towards the script which Vaughn and Goldman had 0 involvement in this time. Kinberg's gotta go.

what?

Falls on deaf ears when your movie is the least grossing X-Men flick.
    Tim Miller, on the other hand, is in the best position possible.
    I'd much rather have Vaughn keep his focus on Kingsman, but not opposed to being in the writer's room.

Also, another drop in the bucket for Whedon to not do X-Men. They might as well bring back Brett Ratner.

• Like Like x 2
  8. the greenman

5/31: Well, I still feel Studio bosses involved in key decisions like making Mystique (JLaw), and Magneto (Fassbender) the protagonists (though Magneto is a great antihero). Can't blame them. They have two Academy Award level actors contractually bound to a film, and who's to say the actors themselves didn't demand more screentime.

6/1: Singer says they should do a solo Mystique film:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men...s-mystique-should-get-a-solo-spin-off-a142203

• Like Like x 1
    #88 the greenman, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The star power of JLaw is strong, especially in this franchise :p.

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Kinberg comments on Fantastic Four and it's still in Fox's superhero plan going forward.
    Oi.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just leave the poor FF alone Fox. I doubt there's anyone who wants to see Fant4stic continued other then Fox just to spite Marvel :sad:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. the greenman

It's not just to spite Marvel, its just practical sense. They have a cbm ip and they're greedy enough to mine the heck out of it. While fans and critics alike agree they should let it go, FOX seems too stubborn to let it go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well even practically though it's a stupid idea to keep the Fantastic Four around. The last movie they made with them lost at FOX at least 70 million dollars considering it cost a 120 million to make yet only made back less then a 170 worldwide (and a movie needs double it's world wide box office to really start making any sort of profit) and proved to be a ridiculous toxic franchise that not only proved how unstable Josh Trank is as a major big budget director, but something the cast is trying to get away from as well. And it's one of those stinkers people will likely remember... and even when they don't it will be just when the rights to the characters expire and we'll be doing the same thing we just did for the latest reboot. Seriously FOX should cut their losses and just let Marvel buy back the rights to them: it'd probably make them more money in the long run then trying to reboot Fantastic Four. As honesty even Apocalypse's sort of failure and Deadpool's success should show them those old corporate ideas they clung to are wrong and they need to think outside the box for the X-franchise going forward and that means letting go of what doesn't work. And Fox should know FF doesn't work for them at all now.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tohya

Dude....like did you even read what I wrote? I said you don't need big time directors to make great comic book films. For example, Vaughn made, whats probably considered to be the best X-men movie, as a relative unknown, and Tim Miller. I have no idea why you quoted my post, since you response seems to have nothing to do with what I said.

So.........what is Fox's plan going forward? I mean, they make Wolverine movies that nobody watches, they announce solo films nobody wants to direct and there X-Men movies are pretty much hit or miss. The one thing they have going for them is so very fragile (Deadpool) that if Fox doesnt nurture it the right way it can easily wreck that entire potential franchise.

15. Mostezli

Of course I did. I merely pointed out an unusual phrase and I responded that the prospect of something being a critical hit by small-time directors as not being enough (in the context of an ongoing franchise I should have added) if it's not backed up by profit with two cases on opposite ends of that spectrum. Vaughn either had to be replaced or wanted to focus his attention elsewhere, whereas Miller's job is secured whether he wants it or not. In essence, you need both the financial and the critical to be considered "great" within that larger context we're focused on and a small-time director can be as much a risk as a reward.

Last Wolverine movie in a spinoff series that has been on an upward trajectory, individually seen more than First Class globally.
    It's one solo film you're referring to that from my POV has the greatest cinematic potential within the spinoff line-up if things work out.
    Singer isn't nearly as involved with the spinoffs, but Kinberg could potentially crack that "fragile" franchise. I'm sure the filmmakers are fighting to make sure he or anyone else in contention doesn't.

The rest of the plan you should know by now if you've read this thread at the very least.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tohya

...........Can I just say how hilarious it is for you to bring up the financial successes of any of the X-men movies not named DoFP (hell, even DoFP only made 87 million more domestically than First Class)? 50 some million dollars is what separates the total gross of X-2 from First Class and everything else is within a 100 million dollar range. And for god sakes man, use some context. Vaughn saved the X-men from the death kneel, since it was released at a time when the brand was at an all time low. The fact that it only made a 100 million dollars less than Last Stand as a soft reboot with none of the hype? That was impressive. Ugh, andI still don't know what any of this has to do with my point? Did you really try to argue my point under the pretext that small time directors can be just as risky as they are rewarding? I mean, duh but thats true of any director in the genre. Plus, I never said Fox needs to go small. I said you don't need big time directors to swoop in and save the day, Fox has[d] a history of being comfortable with nobodies (i.e, they made Vaughn the director of Last Stand as a total novice).

Yeah, but nobody stateside seems to care about watching Wolverine. I think its a shame, I loved the Wolverine but its hard not think that this third Wolverine is going to fair any better than the last two. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I've read the theories, but I don't see any solid plans. Yeah, Fox has hired people to work on X-Force and new Mutants but who knows which one of those with be the one that debuts in 2018. And after that...what? They have an X-men franchise that nobody cares about, there only ongoing spinoff movie series is about to conclude. They have another spinoff movie thats directorless, and a completely dead franchise in F4. I guess my point is that, if it hadn't been for Deadpool, how dead in the water would Fox be right now in the CBM game?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mostezli

We're talking about money I might not ever see in my life-time pooled together by an amount of people I might not ever be in the same room with.
    Fact is, the good-great ones, even w/o adjusting for inflation, happen to triple their budgets, at the very least.
    Each time, Fox has hit below that, they just so happen to feel the need to really change gears and opt for more trusted approaches.

Yeah, he brought the good will back, but he apparently wasn't alone.

How much is it for those under Fox within this genre?
    Again, is that something that didn't work out, or is that a different Vaughn, or does Last Stand go by a different name?
    All I know is Matthew Vaughn has had experience with directing and writing good-great cbm's and he was par for the course, especially a year after his other superhero hit.

Depends on how well that R-rated action cbm trend the studio has been going for holds up.

New Mutants, more likely than X-Force given X-Force is currently just a title and some dated concept art.
    You'll know when they announce it in 2018.

Because W3 is supposed to be Jackman's last.
    Gambit lost Doug Liman?

If it hadn't been for First Class, The Wolverine, DOFP, Kingsman, and Deadpool, pretty dead I guess.
    There are other studios in much worse shape and only one in the best in this "CBM game"

#97 Mostezli, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  18. the greenman

FOX put Gambit on hiatus and both Chattum and Liman went on to other projects. FOX is apparently retooling it in the wake of how DP worked. Personally, I'm not enthused about it. Talk about shoehorning.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think if they want to do anything with Tatum as Gambit, they should just include him in another X-Men movie as either a cameo or in a supporting role, just to finally introduce Tatum's version of the character and possibly draw up interest if they still actually want to go into a Gambit solo.

Sort of like what Civil War did with Black Panther and Spider-Man ;).

20. the greenman

Well, that would make sense, but they haven't. With W3 filming they could, but it is futuristic, so how can they? An awkward aftercredit scene?

• Like Like x 1