1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Universe" Movie News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The Donner-Kinberg-Parker collective has been around since Days of Future Past I believe. That era of producers gave us arguably the best X-Men movies so far, each upping the ante, Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Logan, and now they're expanding into TV with Legion. Deadpool 2, X-Force, New Mutants, a 2nd TV show, and a possible redo of the Dark Phoenix. The only black eye would be Apocalypse. I think they've more than made up with the mistakes made in Last Stand, Origins Wolverine and First Class. A 'Let Feige have it' isn't the solution and I'm happy with the current producers. They're doing the right thing and finally starting to expand beyond Xavier, Magneto, and Wolverine.

FF is a whole other story. None of the 3 movies impressed me. That I have no problem with Marvel Studios or Entertainment getting or a Spidey-deal being made. But even then, they clearly need the right vision and people, which haven't come forward yet, imo.

#341 Yojimbo, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

You are right and before that, First Class had both Kinberg and Donner involved and The Wolverine had Parker involved.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Right. And both had great first halves but then the second halves failed, imo. I'm not saying it's because this trio didn't work together on both -- but clearly the movies for the most part started clicking and things behind the scenes seem to be working for the better with them at the helm together.

4. AdrenalineRush1996

First Class had a mediocre depiction of Emma Frost and The Wolverine had a CGI-heavy Silver Samurai.

That being said, Kinberg wrote the post-credits scene for The Wolverine that tied into Days of Future Past.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Shi'ar and redeeming/restarting the Hellfire Club are on my wish list.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AdrenalineRush1996

Yep and I'd like to see Mastermind being introduced in the films as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Switch the Hellfire Club with the Morlocks, and that's my list.

I think you could do some very interesting, down to Earth stories with the Morlocks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Didn't Gambit have a storyline where he killed a bunch of Morlocks? Switch kill to injure or screw over, and you could integrate movies (if they still insist on his own).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

As many mistakes as Fox has made, I think it's hard to deny how much good they've done from the original X-Men sparking an resurgence of superhero movies (alongside Blade and Spider-Man) to X2 as a sequel to Logan as a farewell to their headlining character.

Complain all you want about the details, but Fox hasn't done as terrible as a job with the X-Men movies as some people may imply.

They also gave us The Wolverine, which is one of my favorite superhero movies! :D
    This is a whole other discussion but we've barely seen anything to comment about the vision for Spider-Man in the MCU. I think after Spider-Man: Homecoming comes out in a few months, we can have that discussion but Captain America: Civil War didn't show us much.
    I understand having issues with The Wolverine post, I don't know, the train fight or something. For me, the Silver Samurai giant mech and the short ninja fight left me underwhelmed.

As for First Class, I'm curious how you thought the second half failed. I thought that movie was excellent and saved us from a weak X-Men series at that point in time.

• Like Like x 2
    #349 Greg91, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  10. AdrenalineRush1996

You've made some good points.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That stuff pretty much. For the CBM movie, the science of it or lack of was eh.

After joining the CIA, things bogged down for me and the way too many character and romance sub plots started getting in the way. The Hellfire Club's big plan and the way the mutants split at the end felt underwhelming. Out of the second trilogy, it's the one I rewatch the least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

The Wolverine feels like an incomplete movie in the theatrical cut. At least the extended version makes the ninja fight a little meatier.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Kinberg hints the 'Supernova' title isn't set in stone and "would be something bold and radical and expand the universe in the same way that ‘Logan’ feels bold and radical and certainly ‘Deadpool’ does as well."

He better mean Shi'ar by that. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It'd be interesting to see the kind of variety we can get between stuff like Deadpool, Logan, and the main X-Men movies :cool:.

Plus there's New Mutants...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The $$$ are tangible proof for them that variety works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It is the spice of life ;).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Thankfully, Logan was successful enough to convince FOX to take more risks. They just need to focus more on better writing and filmmakers. Eh, maybe a little continuity fixing.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Incomplete? I wouldn't say that. I feel like people don't like The Wolverine just because the ending was meddled with by the studio. I might be the only person who likes it more than Logan... :(
    I hope the timeline deal is finally dealt with. I think we should stay in one time period, preferably the present with Deadpool.

For a potential X-23 movie, I would take an X-23 movie in the future as an exception to the one time period rule I mentioned with Dafne Keen in the role.

After seeing Logan, a recast would seem insulting to her performance and I want to see her grow in the role. As I said before I saw Logan and like I'm saying after seeing Logan, I want Keen to stay in the role.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think they're done with the past yet. Supernova and maybe New Mutants are probably in the late 80s/early 90s while Deadpool, X-Force, and Gambit will probably be in the present. But Gambit could be set in the past, too, as well. I like to think that because of DOFP changing up what happens to Wolverine from 1973 to 1983 he never meets Gambit and instead, in the new timeline, Gambit becomes part of the Thieves Guild. But yeah, I think once the next trilogy potentially is done, they'll stick to the present solely again, imo. But that's not until like 2020/2021.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, I doubt we're finished with time travel if we're getting Cable.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2