1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: The Last Stand" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Wonder Woman, May 26, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment "X-Men 3: The Last Stand"

1. *****

15.4%
  2. ****1/2

7.7%
  3. ****

29.2%
  4. ***1/2

12.3%
  5. ***

12.3%
  6. **1/2

10.0%
  7. **

7.7%
  8. *1/2

0.8%
  9. *

0.8%
  10. 1/2

3.8%
  1. sdp

sdp miscrave

Well finally saw the movie and after hearing so many bad things I wasn't expecting much...however I liked it, and probably like it as much as the first movie.

It seems people mostly complain about the deaths, I didn't necessarily like them but they didn't bother me either. They weren't handled as badly as I thought they would. Also the movie did something that the comics will never be able to accomplish and that is having some kind of "final" battle for the X-men, so with that in mind I was even more ok with a lot of the core cast dying and seeing other x-men fill their shoes.

Yeah it had its flaws, but so did the other two, not sure why this one is bashed as much as it is.

2. desi

desi Active Member

Exactly! Finally, someone who agrees with me! Other than the deaths, X3 did many things right that X-men and X2 didn't. X3 was fun and fast. X2 was slow and almost boring. Even Roger Ebert prefers X3 over X2.

3. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd encourage you to watch it again in says six months and try watching the first two shortly before it. I liked this movie just fine, but last month I watched it as part of a personal "X-Men marathon" and this one is just not very good by comparison.

Watching it again and following the first two, I found that it's still a 'summer blockbuster' and grand in scale, but with Singer gone, so is the movie's soul. It's exciting for the action, but the entire way through it feels as though there is something missing. Listen closely and the movie cliches and corny lines come fast and furious; the President has at least three all by himself. Then you have Wolverine and Storm repeating each other's advice back to each other. I now give it ***1/2 and it probably deserves lower, but I can't bring myself to do it. This one was rushed and you can tell.

4. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

After what Singer did to Superman I don't missed him one bit.

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Superman and X Men are two totally different properties. And with the X Men movies he seemed to have been in full on director mode, which can't be said for his take on Superman unfortunately.

6. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

the President has at least three all by himself. Then you have Wolverine and Storm repeating each other's advice back to each other.
    I fast-forward through all the presidential scenes. Horrible, cheesy, cliched stuff. It's all designed to amp up the tension...but is really nothing more than an old man saying "this is getting worse!". LAME.

Storm is a little cheesy, but has the right to be. Wolverine can't be the one saying all the stuff about how sad Charles' death is. The movie already revolves around him quite a bit.

I definitely think that Ratner could have done much worse. Here, all the characters get something decent to do, even though you just know it was a logistical nightmare for the writers and producers to give Rebecca R less screentime in her costume, all the while accounting for Jimmy M's absense as Cyclops and still bothering to give Rogue a storyline when they weren't really obligated too.

7. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

The problems (and there were MANY) with X-3 had nothing to do with Ratner. The flaws were all studio and story driven; they could have brought Spielberg on at the same point they brought Ratner on, and the movie wouldn't have been any better. If you know anything about X-Men: TLS, you know that Ratner was just a hired gun. The various script problems had nothing to do with him - the filming was about to go and they needed to shoot what was written. The direction is fine because he basically just did better then Singer throughout. Ratner did nothing wrong.

#407 dmxx116, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
  8. JD08

JD08 Active Member

aside from kill important members of the story off and giving us an outrageous fight with 6 overrated characters. looking past that it was a good run sarcasm not intended

9. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

I started this talk in the X-Men first class thread but I think it was beginning to become too off-topic, so I will be continuing here. What I've said was:

There were some replies:

I could be like that, but if Cyclops was not that in X3 continuity it would be too much of a cheap solution to the problems that X3 script had. And it wouldn't fix the fact that Xavier is now in someone's body. Or they change actors and Patrick Stewart is no longer Xavier, or they come up with a clone based solution that is also poor and kind of Deus Ex-Machina.

Yes, that same principle of my idea, but I don't know if you guys noticed, but my idea has a lot of irony and sarcasm to mix the problems with the script of X3 with the tragic events on the story itself. I mean: Cyclops killed that way triggered a trail of events that doomed both the X-Men in the characters universe and X-Men franchise in ours.

10. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Hey, Young Justice, I can understand and feel where you are coming from with all this, but at the moment, there seems to be a lot of contempt for Fox and the upcoming First Class movie, and it all pretty-much stems from the misteps that X3 produced; So despite trying to find a reasonable solution for that film, it may be best to just disregard it for now and focus more on what the First Class prelude can give us.

The whole reason I'm saying this is because it would appear that there aren't too many people convinced that First Class will be any good, while I, on the other hand, think it looks great and that it will hopefully wash away the bad taste in everyone's mouths that X3 left -- The only problem is, will people give it a chance? Or even if they do, will they still resent it because they would rather Marvel Studios get the film rights back for the franchise?

Like I said, I think First Class looks great, but bringing up X3 right now might just push potential viewers away from First Class, and I know you and I don't want that, just in case there could be a sequel made where Cyclops can get the justice he deserves.

11. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

I understand what you are saying. I was just expanding a little longer my point of view: What's the point of us having great prequels if you know that everything that would happen in this previous movies will end up being what happen in X3?

What's the glory of seeing Cyclops the character he deserved to be (like he could be in a probable sequel for 1st class), just to be killed meaningless in the future and so on?

I'm hoping that these prequels are actually very good and give Fox a reason to greenlit such a movie like the one I described before to write X3 out of continuity.

As for people not wanting to see X-Men 1st class because of X3 it's debatable, because X3 had its haters but had its lovers too. And in the end, if X-Men 1st class is indeed a good movie, the word of mouth would do its job.

12. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

All true! Please don't get me wrong, I would really like to see an X4 at some point where they could remedy X3; I'm just worried about too many people being hung up on how bad X3 was that they totally dismiss First Class and jeopardize any potential for more X-Men movies all together, whether they are prequels or sequels to the original trilogy.

13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This is actually my favorite X-Men film, and while I get why many people dislike it, I enjoyed it very much. The fights in X2 were better, but I preferred the villains here, and Jean Grey in Dark Phoenix form was cool, if underpowered.

The ending could have been better, but I was still satisfied.

14. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I did like this movie quite a bit, I didn't think it was the best film of the 3 X-Men movies but I'd probably give this film a 4/5 stars because of it's fun action scenes and interesting choices made throughout the film (killing Professor X). Also, the lack of Nightcrawler was kind of disappoining for me, I loved his character in the 2nd film and was almost devistated to see that he was not going to be in the 3rd, but seeing Beast was kind of cool and Kelsey Grammar portrayed him nicely.

15. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Disregard my comments on page one. They were my initial reactions after seeing the film, and they look more "nitpicky" than anything "legit" or "insightful". Although, I think everyone is going to want to disregard/dismiss/discredit me after reading what I say below (you'll all know exactly when and what discredits me when you read it, ha).

I just don't get it. I've watched X-Men: The Last Stand two days ago, and before that a year or so ago around when I first saw First Class on DVD. My feelings are the same. What is so "bad" about this movie? How can anyone even claim this almost or flat out "killed" the franchise when as of now it's the highest grossing X-Men movie? Obviously it was people on the internet complaining about the movie that "killed" it. Is Brett Ratner the first person I would think of to take over from Bryan Singer? Of course not, but I don't see any kind significant noticeable conflicting approaches/style of directing that hurt this movie. Unlike say, Tim Burton to Joel Schumacher or Richard Donner to Richard Lester.

I said this in the Days Of Future Past thread, and I'll say it here too. In the previous films, the X-Men go on "covert" missions. The Mutant issue is implied in the world these movies take place in and the most we get on it is through scenes that involve politics and political figures. The X-Men want to protect humans and coexist peacefully with humanity, yet the world doesn't see them in action because their fighting at the Statue Of Liberty during closed hours at night, and fighting in a secret military base in Canada. In The Last Stand you see a little more regarding the Mutant issue regarding the cure story, mutants lining up for the cure and mutants protesting it at cure clinics. In the film's finale, the X-Men team up with and work alongside with the army. The X-Men (finally) more directly protect humanity in public.

A common/frequent complaint is the killing off of major characters. Well, lets see. Why was Cyclops killed off? James Marsden was also in Superman Returns which was also filmed the same exact time as this movie was, maybe that had something to do with it? Jean gets killed off, yet doesn't powers she possess as Phoenix give her the ability to come back to life? Do I need to count/mention Xavier since he lives? The deaths of these characters might be frustrating, but they could easily be resurrected if moving forward in a follow up film. Maybe not in Cyclops' case, but had Marsden not been in Superman Returns, would Cyclops gotten a better treatment in the film and (finally) been the main character?

Another common/frequent complaint is this supposed emphasis on action. I don't see any significant more action here than I do in the previous films. Or an emphasis on action sequences that turns out to make up a majority of the film. Since this film's release, we have more comic book/super hero films that are more guilty of emphasis on action than we get here.

No question this was the "worst" X-Men out of the original trilogy. Now I consider the "worst" to be First Class, but that's only because I disagreed with the prequel direction they were taking. X-Men: The Last Stand is satisfying. Would a third installment been better if Bryan Singer stayed with the series, absolutely. Thankfully he eventually came back to X-Men, so that shouldn't even matter anymore. In the modern comic book/superhero movie trilogies, I consider this to be the best 3rd entry in a series. It's easily way better than Spider-Man 3 and The Dark Knight Rises.

16. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

[video=youtube;hamvx0huBzs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hamvx0huBzs[/video]

Basically this. I mean none of the original X-Men movies hold up particularly well anyways. Watching X1 and X2 12 years later is painful and there just really not that memorable in a post MCU/Nolan world. Calling X3 satisfying is just a personal taste so asking the question of "whats so bad about this movie" is moot. You conceded it was the worst of the franchise but that you still liked it, there's really no discussion to be had unless your just looking to debate. And Origins was the (almost) franchise killer.