1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Apr 11, 2002.

?

Rate "X-Men" and Post Your Comments

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

75.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

The only problem is DVDs (1.5 in particular) are widescreen, but I guess at this point that's too much to expect from basic cable.

2. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

A very enjoyable movie, without a doubt. I had a fun time with this movie, as they stayed true to alot of the characters in the movie. My biggest complaint was the short running time. This movie is dieing for some more time to flesh out the characters more. With all those supposed cut scenes laying around, I would've loved to have seen them back in the movie at one point. Even the ones we saw on the DVDs are great. They actually add to the movie, and the movie could definately use them.

3. PowerZord

PowerZord It's time to change.

The movie was cool. But i don't remenber much about it. So i will need to rewacthed it and then I can rate it.

4. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

Continuing a discussion from the new Wolvie movie talkback:

I couldn't agree more. Cyclops is my favorite X-Men and I was really disappointed with his role in the movies. That's why I prefer X1 over the others because Cyclops is less bad in the first.

IGN declared him the #1 X-Men of all time. I think they are right.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/708/708826p5.html

5. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

it seemed like the bad guys trying to turn all the world leaders of earth into mutants was a GOOD idea.

If not for you saying that, I would have still mistakenly believed their goal was to turn everyone into mutants. Something about their targets being limited to world leaders got lost in the course of the movie, at least for me. I always found myself thinking "How does everybody on the planet dying of a bad mutation help Magneto?" Also, I'd often forget that it was a bad mutant to begin with, and walk away thinking "Magneto wants to give other people powers...so they can then attack him?"

Clearly, I'm zoning out mentally during viewings of this film.

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought he was unaware that his machine ended up liquifying people?

7. eggers

eggers New Member

You know, I look at them the same way as the Burton Batman movies.They were good movies for the time, but with hindsight, they didn't deliver on the full potential of the franchise.

Hopefully Fox doesn't try to crank out as many sequels and spinoffs as they can before their contract runs out and end up bleeding it dry. In Marvel Studio's hands, a rebooted X-Men franchise has the potential to be as long lived as something like Star Trek.

8. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

The main problem to me that I liked everything on X1. The actors, the tone, the black uniforms, the choice of main characters, the plot, the Rogue as Kitty Pride. The only (and for me the most important) thing missing is a good portray of Cyclops. If only they could delivered that... :(

9. eggers

eggers New Member

Oh I could go on and on about things I didn't like about it and the other two.

The comic costumes woudn't have worked, but the generic black leather body suits weren't any better. If they were going for a more realistic approach, they could've worn something closer to swat gear. Something without muscles molded into it. If they were going for something more out there, they could've taken a cue from the Batman movies. He's not wearing spandex, but it still resembles what he wears in the comics. They went for some middle ground and it just didn't look right.

Halle Berry wasn't a good choice as Storm. She was just one of the hot actresses at the moment, and her demands for more screentime was one of the reasons the movies suffered. Storm's important, but she shouldn't be anything more than a background character if her screentime is coming at the expense of characters like Xavier and Magneto, Scott and Jean, Peter and Kitty, Nightcrawler, or Wolverine himself. There are just too many other interesting characters, relationships, and conflicts that need to be squeezed into a 2 hour movie for the kind of ego she brought to the project.

Then there was Magneto's plan to turn the world leaders into mutants. It fell flat for me. That mad scientist type of scheme wasn't as good as if he had been played as a straight up terrorist. He should've done stuff like highjacking military bases and missles, or even nukes, blowing up buildings and bridges, making public demands, ripping planes out of the sky, stuff like that.

Sabertooth. I would've rather not had him in the movie at all. He was reduced to just a dimwitted cronie, like what they did to Bane in Batman & Robin. Sabertooth should've been saved for the Wolverine spinoff, but since X1 was actually Wolverine 1, they needed a punching bag for Logan to sink his claws into. The location of the climactic fight was pretty lame too. I don't want to see Logan and Sabertooth going at it on top of the Statue of Liberty. The wilderness, some sewers, a back alley, the edge of a cliff, just about anywhere would've been better than what was in the film.

10. Bones Justice

Bones Justice Bring on the noise!

I didn't like some of the casting choices like Storm and Magneto. I thought Famke Janssen and Patrick Stewart were good choices. My biggest gripe with the film, though, is that Cyclops was a secondary character instead of being one of the leads. He was treated even worse in the sequels.

The story was okay but got pwned by arc of season one in the 1990's animated series. It's a shame that the Sentinels were totally overlooked by the films.

I also think they should have tried for something more along the lines of their comic book costumes, especially the colors. Cyclops should have been wearing a version of his combat costume, blue & gold with a gold visor plus the ammo belt. Wolverine could have been wearing the blue & gold costume, too. They didn't need to be spandex to look good. I guess I can understand black outfits from a tactical standpoint but the leather jumpsuits were ridiculous looking.

11. eggers

eggers New Member

Sentinels. YES. How do they do a human vs mutant story in X2 and NOT do Sentinels? If the Fox executives had truly understood the potential of the franchise, they would've given the movies all the funding they needed to pull that stuff off. Tom Rothman said that giant robots just wouldn't work on screen. I wonder what he thinks after seeing Transformers.

Far as the costumes, even without spandex, I don't know how good blue and gold costumes would've worked. I think darker colors were neccessary, but what they went with looked dumb. Maybe darker versions of the comic book costumes would've been the way to go? They wouldn't even have to be all black. I mean they could, if it looked better, but they could've thrown in some dark blues or greys or something. You know what, never mind. Dark blue costumes with just a touch of yellow could've looked pretty sweet if they were designed right.

Obviously they wouldn't have looked exactly like this, but the costumes would've looked a lot better if they had gone in this general direction.

[​IMG]

#71 eggers, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
  12. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sentinels would've looked really dumb back when those movies came out, mostly the first 2. By 3 it didn't really seem necessary to have them seeing how the story went.

13. eggers

eggers New Member

Considering the people in charge of the movies, you're right I don't think they would've known how to handle Sentinels. The fact that they weren't included speaks to that. And you're right that by part 3, they weren't neccessary, but they still managed to sneak one in in an amazingly cheap fasion. It was symptomatic of the fact that the people at Fox don't know what they're doing and are trying to pass off cheap fan service as good filmmaking.

14. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty sure they never even tried for good film making with X3.

15. eggers

eggers New Member

Yeah, that's why I said it was cheap fan service.

16. sdp

sdp miscrave

I'm in my X-men mood, not necessarily because of the new movie but I just am.

Anyways first time I saw this movie was very late at night on tv and fell asleep near the ending but I remember really liking it. I finally caught it a year or two later completely and while I still liked it, it wasn't as awesome as I remembered. Anyways watching it again now I fall in between both my prior opinions its definitely a good x-men movie and a good movie but its not an amazing movie either. I do think its overrated as I don't consider it as one of the best superhero movies.

17. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

First Titanic and now X-Men? Has the absence of the messiah caused random. old threads to be resurrected?

Anyway, I actually happened to watch the first X-Men a few months ago, and I thought it still held up pretty well as one of the better superhero movies of all time. I absolutely love the scene at the train-station.

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really liked Michael Kamen's score in this movie. The scene where where Wolverine tries to let Rogue absorb his powers is probably my favorite part.

19. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

It's been 15 years since the start of the big-screen X-Men franchise, celebrated with the release of X-Men: Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut (discuss here), so there's no better time then now to revisit the movie that start it all. After all these years, does X-Men still hold up?

[​IMG]

"We're not what you think, not all of us." - Professor Charles Xavier
    X-Men
    Studio:
    20th Century Fox
    Release Date: July 14, 2000
    Director: Bryan Singer
    Starring: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Famke Janssen, James Marsden, Halle Berry, Anna Paquin, Tyler Mane, Ray Park, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Bruce Davison, Matthew Sharp

Plot Summary: They are the children of the atom, homo superior, the next link in the chain of evolution. Each was born with a unique genetic mutation, which at puberty manifested itself in extraordinary powers: Cyclops' (Marsden) eyes release an energy beam that can rip holes through mountains; Jean Grey's (Janssen) strength is both telekinetic and telepathic; and Storm (Berry) can manipulate all forms of weather. In a world increasingly filled with hatred and prejudice, they are scientific oddities ... freaks of nature ... outcasts who are feared and loathed by those who cannot accept their differences. Their detractors include U.S. Senator Robert Kelly (Davison), a McCarthyesque politico whose legislation is designed to "expose the dangers" of mutants. Yet despite society's pervasive ignorance, Cyclops, Jean, Storm and thousands like them survive. Under the tutelage of Professor Charles Xavier (Stewart), the world's most powerful telepath, these "gifted" students have learned to control and direct their respective powers for the greater good of mankind. They fight to protect a world that fears them. Xavier welcomes two newcomers: Logan/Wolverine (Jackman), a solitary fighting machine who possesses amazing healing powers, retractable adamantium claws and an animal-like fury; and Rogue (Paquin), an alienated teenage girl who can absorb the powers and memories of anyone she touches. As Wolverine and Rogue adjust to life among their "kind," the X-Men find themselves locked in a physical and philosophical battle with the Professor's former colleague and friend, Erik Lehnsherr a.k.a. Magneto (McKellen). One of the world's most powerful mutants, Magneto has turned his back on society, believing that humans and mutants can never coexist, and that mutants are the rightful heirs to the future. He and his evil Brotherhood - the mammoth Sabretooth (Mane), the metamorph Mystique (Romijn-Stamos) and the nearsighted, far-jumping Toad (Park) - will stop at nothing to ensure that future, even if it threatens the very existence of mankind ... or mutantkind.

Buy the movie!