1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Apr 11, 2002.

?

Rate "X-Men" and Post Your Comments

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

75.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Telling it like it is

Umm, why did the kid who played young Eric Lehnsherr get a credit, but freaking James Marsden as Cyclops didn't? WTF? :confused:

2. JohnStewart-GL

JohnStewart-GL Mighty JLU memba

What were those idiots at fox thinking :p . Ill probably watch it. even though they'll probably edit it for tv.

3. czyznyck99

czyznyck99 Active Member

I hadn't noticed that. It was probably an honest oversight, but can a team leader get any respect? :cool:

Later.

4. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

Yeah I know, geesh! They always seem to walk all over him...*cuddles Cyclops* fine then, when the world is in dire need of help, let's see how far they can get without him! I am so set for seeing this! Sure, I can see it whenever I want, but it's always seem to be more fun when it's on TV at a particular day and time.

~Barb

5. The Landstander

The Landstander Thanks ants. Thants.

i liked this movie when i saw it, but i always had one problem...it seemed like the bad guys trying to turn all the world leaders of earth into mutants was a GOOD idea. besides that, good movie.

6. czyznyck99

czyznyck99 Active Member

Heh heh, oversight...Cyclops, I guess he didn't "see" it.... :D

Turning humans into mutants (or genetic engineering) has always been one of my favorite topics that has arisen from X-men. It will take humans years to clone, but Multiple Man can do it in seconds. Let's "Big Poppa Pump," the genetic freak (go read a WWE thread sometime if you don't get the reference) take on Stong Guy with bigger pythons than Hulk Hogan. Remember to take your vitamins, kiddies...

Later.

7. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

X-Men: The Movie on FOX Without Notice

I was lucky I caught the beginning of X-Men
    Such a big movie to hit network tv and no commercials to notify the viewers?

i've watched the simpsons and king of the hill all this week and saw no plugs

8. Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Good Ol' Batmanuel! Dressing for success?

Yeah, it's true that there wasn't a lot of hype, but I've seen a few commercials for it. You just have to be at the right place at the right time, I guess. :p

9. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Too bad I have to sit through a hacked-up version of the movie to see previews of X2.

10. Zach Logan

Zach Logan We are Maji!

I saw a lot of commercials on...i guess they were only on at certain times, i donno.

This is the first time ive gotton to see this, and so far its good, a little odd...

11. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Re: X-Men: The Movie on FOX Without Notice

Actually Jim posted the press release in this thread! I agree that there should have been commercials to better inform people. ;)

12. RZetlin

RZetlin Active Member

I was expecting the Simpsons to air, but I was lucky to watch X-Men instead.

With that said, there were some stuff cut out in the televised version.

There was suppose to be a scene where Wolverine ask "Are we suppose to go out in this?" and Cyclops replied "Were you expecting spandex?". These lines were cut in this version.

13. Pyro

Pyro Active Member

I saw plenty of promos. Well, enough. and I saw the Simpsons also.

14. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

I saw plenty of promos over the past week on GLOBAL. That's odd how FOX didn't pump out the ads more than they should have - that's a big enough movie that warrants the promotion needed to compete with the *GAG* Grammies.

-Tim

15. Pyro

Pyro Active Member

I liked it. I don't have much to say about it, but they made some good casting choices, like Prof. X, Wolverine, Jean, Rogue, Magneto, Sabertooth, Toad, and Cyclops. (even though James Marsden seems a bit... small. It kinda looked like he had big heels on his shoes to look taller. :p ) Not as good as Spidey, but I'm biased. It was funny when they cut out stuff, like in the Statue of Liberty when Wolverine said, "You're a dork" to Cyke. If I recall correctly, he said something else.

16. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Guest

I watched some of it while it aired on FOX (even caught the X2 Preview) and they did cut some out. A big omission was the vast majority of the X-Jet sequence, and the edit was incredibly obvious and jarring. The "edited" dialogue, like any other "safe for TV" edit, was laughable and incredibly obvious as well.

17. Storm

Storm Active Member

4 stars......

In my opinion much better than Spider-Man seems more realistic. Anyway I really enjoyed watch X-men over again. See X-men makes me praise all the cast members but I just thought this movie was too much Wolverine :yawn: which makes me ticked off a little cause with characters like Cyclops, Jean, and Storm who where so under-devolped in this movie who have almost the same amount and better history and drive than Wolvie. Anyway judging from the X2 previews it looks like Singer and the writers got their act together and hopefully they will do Cyke, Jean, and Ororo justice.

Just my two cents

- Storm

18. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

“Mutation: it is the key to our evolution. It has enabled us to evolve from a single-celled organism into the dominant species on the planet. This process is slow, and normally taking thousands and thousands of years. But every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward.” – Professor Charles Xavier, X-Men

I haven’t seen X2 yet, but before I see a sequel I always like to see the original again, so I checked out the original X-Men DVD a couple weeks ago. X-Men is excellent and I enjoy it each and every time I see it. I can’t wait to see X2 real soon. :cool:

Please keep in mind that while this thread say (Spoilers) that means about X-Men and not about X2. People including myself should be able to read this thread without fearing parts of X2 will be spoiled for them.

Now some thoughts and random thoughts on the first installment…

Ian McKellen was excellent as Magneto. I liked his initial conversation with Sabretooth—it was an excellent display of the evil mutant’s powers. The same can be said for the confrontation with the police “and their guns.” When he ‘builds’ the bridge on his way to Senator Kelly’s cell I just can’t get over how cool it is.

Magneto really has a lot of good lines too, like his distain for “Young people.” And “that magnificent metal doesn’t run through your entire body, does it?” Another great one is when he makes fun of Cyclops request that Storm “fire ’em.” “I thought you lived at a school.” :D

It’s almost comical how long and drawn out Professor Xavier’s stories and explanations to Logan. I feel it was necessary, but it just seemed to stretch out a bit.

Bruce Davison was excellent as Senator Robert Kelly, the opening on the Senate floor was a very powerful scene even if I don’t care for his prejudice attitudes. I found it interesting how he seemed almost willing to change after Magneto turned him into a mutant. The scene where Xavier saw the events in Magneto’s hideout thru Kelly’s eyes was very cool and showed the power of Xavier. I can’t imagine anyone other than Patrick Stewart as Charles Xavier. He’s just perfect.

I like the start of the relationship between Bobby and Rogue we get in X-Men. They are really in the early stages in this movie, but it’s cool seeing the start. :)

“Stay away from my girl.”
    At least as far as my friends are concerned I’m “the guy who likes Cyclops.” I liked him since the cartoon and if I ever play an X-Men video game you can rest assured that I will be playing as Scott Summers. In a way I suppose I resent Wolverine’s advances on Jean and find myself solidly on the side of Cyclops. When I first saw this movie in theaters I couldn’t remember Cyclops being such a jerk, but my mom assured me that to some extent he was. Still he remains my favorite and I felt James Marsden did a good job behind the ruby quartz visor.

While he was determined to protect Jean and keep Logan away from her, often times I didn’t get a real feeling for how much Scott cares about Jean. He’s just always so serious and we didn’t see the two alone much. The biggest scene for me that shows how much Jean means to him is when Scott is facing her and Magneto takes his visor away. You can tell his entire concentration is on keeping his eyes closed and nothing else. That right there coupled with his initial refusal to open his eyes when Jean asks shows how much he cares about her. Hopefully we’ll see more of that X2 well for those who still haven’t seen it. :eek:.

On the topic of Cyclops-Jean-Wolverine triangle: judging by the trailer and an X2 screen saver I downloaded from the official site it is my belief…
    Keep in mind if you have seen X2 I am not looking for you to confirm or deny my theory above. I’ll find out when I see it myself.

The final battles work very well and I love how Wolverine sets off metal detector as soon as they enter the gift shop (or whatever). It was a nice light-hearted moment at soon to be serious point in the film.

Until I read others complaining about it I never had a real problem with the line Storm uses as she takes out Toad. It worked for me back in 2000, but I suppose when you look at it critically it is rather lame.

It’s rather touching to see big bad Wolverine almost sacrifice himself for Rogue. The two really have grown somewhat close despite their early encounters.

Xavier and Magneto playing chess was a very fitting ending to the film. Really their encounters are much like a chess game as each wonders what the next move is going to be. Erik knocked over his King when Charles left, but it obvious that he has yet to accept defeat.

19. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

"X-Men" airs tonight!

That's right X-Men fans if you don't happen to own this movie on DVD you can catch it tonight on cable channel FX at 8 p.m. ET!

If you are one of the few who haven't seen X2 yet now is your chance to catch back up on what when down the first time. If you have seen the sequel then now might be a good time to revisit how it all began.

Evolution begins again at 8 p.m. ET tonight on FX!

20. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

FX has promoted it as, "DVD on TV."

I think they are doing this because if the audience like what they see, they may run out and buy the X-Men DVD is they think it is worth purchasing.