1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Apr 11, 2002.

?

Rate "X-Men" and Post Your Comments

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

75.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Guard

The Guard No Matter The Cost

X-MEN was incredible. An adult issue, and...the best acting in a superhero movie I've seen since BATMAN. Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart were EXCELLENT, and Hugh Jackman pulled off Wolverine. The movie is best because of things like:

"We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter."

The action was cool, but what REALLY impressed me was the way it seemed REAL, like it could happen a few years from now. From Stewart's opening speech to the final credits, that movie was a gem.

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Professional Speculator

I think XMEN was a well made movie.

My only bone of contention on this film is that it
    loses some momentum on the so called "villans".

They do an amazing job with the "heroes" : professor X,
    Wolverine etc. They even got some of the subtler character
    dynamics that most comic book movies miss. The romantic triangle between Wolverine, Jean Grey & Cyclops was
    extremely well portrayed on film.

At no point in the movie (regarding the heroes) do you think
    "thats not how Wolverine would act ...".

However I think things begin to unravel somewhat when we
    get to the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

I dont think any of these characters were well defined or
    3 dimensional ( with the possible exception of Magneto).

I think the Producers felt there had to be a good vs evil
    battle and they choose (IMO ) a very weak premise.

It was in the "evil plot" portion of the storyline were the
    movie could really have done a better job.

Regardless though , the strength of the protagonists in this
    story make up for the weakness of the "climactic" end battle.

"Do you know what happens to a toad when its struck by
    lightning ? ... Same thing that happens to everything else "
    Storm.

If this isnt one of the worst oneliners ever written in a movie ..
    (Steven Seagal movies included) I dont know what is.

What were the writers smoking when they wrote that ?

3. JohnStewart-GL

JohnStewart-GL Mighty JLU memba

i loved that line to. i remeber in the theater smiling when i heard that. i think every actor fight there role. though the young Rogue took some getting use to.

4. cjshoup

cjshoup Member

Probably The same stuff the writers of Xena smoke when they wrote some of their episodes. (watch an Episode called Married with Fishsticks and you'll see what I mean.)

#24 cjshoup, Apr 15, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2002
  5. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

With X-Men 2 coming I popped this DVD again! I still think it's a great movie so I thought I'd bump up this talkback. Any new thoughts on the first X-Men flick?

6. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

Like Bird Boy, with the X-MEN 2 hype machine kicking into overdrive, I've found myself revisiting the first movie and having a better time examining and watching it. I give it a solid three and a half stars, and that means more than you'd think coming from me. I tend to grade low, so that when I give something five stars, it actually means a LOT.

Anyway, my only real gripe is that whole deal with Senator Kelly dissolving into jelly after being mutated by Magneto. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that that wasn't in the original script. It just feels a bit contrived and tacked-on, because if they hadn't done that, one would have had to think, "Is what Magneto trying to do REALLY all that bad?" I think that that question would have made the movie much more interesting, and I'm still not ruling out the possibility that Sen. Kelly will turn up alive in the next movie. (It is a comic book movie after all-- NEVER believe it when someone dies in a comic book. Also, remember Magneto's line, "Are you sure you saw what you thought you saw?" Foreshadowing, maybe?)
    Anyway, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan were both top-notch, as we've come to expect from them. It was wonderful watching a couple of world-class Shakespearean actors go at it. Anna Paquin was GREAT as Rogue, she had real chemistry with Hugh Jackman. I thought they carried off the whole love interest subplot wonderfully, especially considering the age difference between their characters. The screenwriters definitely used Rogue's mutation to good effect here, allowing what otherwise might have come across as a little creepy (given the age difference) to work beautifully, as, since there's no possibility of Rogue having a sexual relationship, there was no sexual tension. Some people might take issue with the liberties they took with the source material, especially changing Rogue's age, but I'm not one of them. I thought it worked great.

7. Storm

Storm Active Member

3 and 1/2 stars

As an X-men fan I was extremly excited when I heard that a movie was going to be made. Then July 14th 2000 came around and I was the first person to see it. When the movie ended I thought it was great but after I saw it a couple of more times I started to see some minor flaws:

Can Patrick Stewart be any more fantastic??? I mean the man was 100% Xavier. Ian McCellan was great as Magento and Hugh Jackman played a hell of a Wolvie. Wolverine was the one character everybody thought would be hard to protray. Personally I think Famke Jansen did a awesome Jean Grey the only problem is that Jean along with Scott and Ororo got pushed asided for Wolvie which made me ticked off. James Masters was okay as Cyclops but like Jean he wasn't giving enough screentime for the audience to capture his real essence. Jean and Scott's relationship didn't seem real to me they didn't even kiss. The only time Cyclops showed emotion for Jean is when the holded hands, when Jean was in danger, or when Wolverine would try to get next to Jean (hopefully around the sequel Jean and Cyclops realtionship will be more looked at). Now it's time for my rant about Ms. Berry. (C'mon you knew it was coming) I really felt that Storm was extremly downsided in X-men. In the comics Storm is the core of the X-men she is the mother and rock but it seemed that in the movie she was only their for eye candy and the token black character (I hate when they do that) To make matters worse Storm was giving a cheap wig and a chessy line that will go down in "stupid movie lines history". I mean c'mon you could of did something better than that. This is what I would of said: Storm: "Toad do you know that metal in one of the main conductors of electricity?" :Zaps Toad: Storm: "Wouldn't you agree?" Anyway I could go on and on I just hope that they beef of Storm and giving her more screen time and good lines and on Berry's part please please do a correct and proper accent. Okay if you saw the deleted scenes on the first X-men DVD or video you would of gotten a gimps of 7 deleted scenes that we cut out of the film. Now I ask Singer this question: Why??? Why cut out the coversation with Xavier and Jean??? Why cut out the expanded scene of Storm's Lesson??? Why cut out the expanded scene of "The Love Triangle"??? Why cut out the scene with Storm and Rouge talking??? Why??? Personally those scenes would of made X-men a better movie cause Jean, Storm, and Cyke had more dialog and devolpment. Okay now for the villains. I would of prefered Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Toad in the movie but Sabretooth and Mystique were fine. Toad was great. I love Ray Park's accent. Sabretooth was cool "Scream for me" and Mystique... well Mystique was pure eye candy for the fellas. My only problem with the villains was Mystique. Why didn't she get any dialog??? Why did she get one line??? Only God knows but I hope that we can hear Mystique talk and make her have a motive and maybe have a connection with Mystique and Nightcrawler. Rouge. Anna was great as Rouge. I could really she her as Rouge. For a fun fact did you know that Sarah Michelle Gellar was suppose to protray Rouge but hadd to turn it down for Buffy :( Anyway both actresses would of did good as Rouge but I like Anna better. I know Rouge won't get super-strength in the sequels but Rouge is still my fave X-girl (well second fave, Storm has my heart :D) For the plot I loved it. It was alot better than Spider-Man (yeah I said it) the only cheesy part was the "Mutant Machine" but it was cool. I'm happy that X-men 2 has new and better writers and it seems that everybody in X2 will get there fair share of the pie. Here is hope for a great sequel.

- Storm

8. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

3 stars

For me, this one fell way short of the hype. There are some very good parts, and there are some fantastic parts. But really, besides not developing some of the other X-Men as much, they just cut way too much out of it. The ending felt especially rushed - if a lone superhero like Batman/Spider-Man/Superman can hold a 2hr+ story, doesn't a story of a team of superheroes merit at least that much?

9. Arkangel

Arkangel Member

3 Stars

I thought that the movie got Wolverine right and most everything else wrong.

The villains outside of Magneto were laughable and made way too powerful. Halle Berry and Famke Jansen were not good casting choices.

10. JohnStewart-GL

JohnStewart-GL Mighty JLU memba

Any way, i felt this was one of the best comics films to date. Every bit as good as Spider-man and Superman the problem with this movie was it wasnt given enough money and enoguh time. If it had had more time and a bigger budget it would undeniably be the best comic book flick! Im hoping X2 will take that pinnacle seeing as it has a bigger budget and more time. I thought the casting of all the characters was great with the exception of Halle berry and i was so so about Janssen. I agree with Storm that the relationship between scott and jean was underdeveloped and it needs more development in X2 and/or future sequels. the cameos were great, because i wasnt expecting to see any of those characters on film. Iceman was the best cameo in the film i cant wait for his expanded role in X2.all in all the best rush job movie i've ever seen! 4 starz.

11. Storm

Storm Active Member

Thanks JohnStewart-GL for pointing out that X-men wasn't giving enough time and the budget was low compared to Spider-Man. Sadly Singer did cut out scenes for time purpose. Those scenes that I'm talking about were great dialog for Scott, Jean, Xavier, Rouge, and Storm. I guess Singer thought it would be too dreadful to cut out any of Wolverine's scenes.

12. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Guest

The movie should've been longer than 104 minutes. The deleted scenes on the first DVD showed there was much more to the movie. I wonder if the deleted scenes on the 1.5 DVD will be new. I heard about the 24 deleted scenes, but I thought Fox changed it.

As for the movie itself, really good, I thought. They focused on two of my favorite characters, although others were really under-developed. Storm and Cyclops needed alot more development and some of the deleted scenes would've given that. I thought that comic fans had the insight on the charatcer relationships, so it wasn't really a problem for us. But for all the non-comic fans, it was probably "Wha?", without a doubt.

13. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Guest

Also, was anyone else dissapointed by the CGI Wolverine used for the scene where he swings around the crown on the Statue of Liberty's head? I actually preferred the version we saw on the teaser trailer becuase it looked...well...a bit better. The CGI in this sequence tends to get to me.

14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Having just watched this about two days ago, I thought I'd bring in something quick. A very enjoyable movie for the folks, like myself, who have been X-Men fans for quite awhile. Bryan Singer did a good job directing and provided us with some great action shots. He did a real good job on the Wolverine/Magneto/Train sequence. I really like to look on Wolverine's face when he sees Magneto rip into the train. It definatly could've been better and I bet all those deleted scenes would've helped alot.

15. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was great. I loved it at the cinema. It convinced me that Superheroes could once again return to the big screen - even difficult concepts like this. Wolverine's hair - never thought that would translate into a movie. The pace was great, the script okay and the action wonderful.

My only grumble? That Mystique and Sabretooth were reduced to simple lackeys - like Bane in Batman & Robin.

16. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I think this is a prime example that comic book movies can work but don't have to be "superheroie". With X-men I thought that what was there, was class. We could have done with one more action scene (loved that train sequence with Cyclops blasting open the stations roof). My other favourite scene in the prison

MAGNETO "Doesn't it ever wake you at night, knowing that one day they will pass the foolish law and come for you, and your chidren?"
    XAVIER "Indeed it does"
    MAGNETO "What do you do?"
    XAVIER "I feel swell of pity for the poor soul who comes to that school looking for trouble"
    MAGNETO "Why do you come here?"
    XAVIER "Why do you ask questions to which you already know the anwser?"
    MAGNETO "Ah yes, your continueing search for hope. The war is coming and I intend to fight it"

Looking forward to X-men 2.

17. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Guest

I really like how they concluded the movie. It leaves it wide open for the sequel. In fact, I like how the first trailer for X-Men 2 featured the ending of the first movie - a perfect lead-in for the second movie.

Oh, here is the trailer for X-Men 2:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x2/

18. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

'X-Men' To Air on FOX February 23rd, 2003

FOX issued this press release for the world broadcast premiere of the original X-Men movie:

THE MOVIE 'X-MEN' MAKES ITS WORLD BROADCAST PREMIERE SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 23 ON FOX

X-MEN, the cult comic book series, is brought to life in this stunning and visually compelling film which offers a tale of mutant outsiders who have evolved to live on Earth among humans while continuing to possess super powers which can be used for both good or evil. The blockbuster film, which includes extraordinary action sequences and special effects, stars Sir Ian McKellan ("Lord Of The Rings"), Patrick Stewart ("Star Trek: Nemesis"), Halle Berry ("Monsters Ball", "Die Another Day"), Hugh Jackman ("Kate And Leopold", "Someone Like You"), Famke Janssen ("I Spy", "Don't Say A Word"), Rebecca Romijn-Stamos ("Femme Fatale") and Anna Paquin ("25th Hour").

In this cult classic, two leaders have emerged; Professor Xavier (Stewart), who runs a school for mutants and hopes to convince the world that their powers can be harnessed for the good of mankind, and Magneto (McKellan), who believes in the inevitable war between mutants and the rest of humanity. While the mutant factions battle each other in a fight for dominance, they must also battle government officials who are trying to eliminate them completely in X-MEN, Sunday, Feb. 23 on FOX. (TV-PG; L, V)

Cast: Sir Ian McKellan, Patrick Stewart, Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, Famke Janssen, Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, Anna Paquin, Ray Park as Toad/Mortimer Toynbee; Bruce Davison as Senator Robert Jefferson Kelly (R-Kan.); Matthew Sharp as Aide Henry Peter Gyrich; Brett Morris as Young Erik Lehnsherr; Rhona Shekter as Mrs. Lehnsherr; Kenneth McGregor as Mr. Lehnsherr.

Comments?

19. Storm

Storm Active Member

cult classic!?! :eek:

What the heck! :mad:

Anyway this will be my 700th time seeing it and loves every time I see it! :D

20. czyznyck99

czyznyck99 Active Member

Doesn't that make you a cult follower? Or maybe you are just obsessed? :cool: Anyway, I just want to see the ratings numbers, because this must have been a last minute decision (it's on next Sunday). It also will be interestering to see what gets edited. It was a rather tame movie for a PG-13 rating, so here's hoping not much is left out.

Later.