1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Evolution" Comic Series Announced

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Aug 8, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

In the August 8 edition of the Your Man @ Marvel column at the Marvel.com Web site, details on the previously announced X-Men: Evolution comic book have been revealed.

According to the column, the series will be written by Devin Grayson (Ghost Rider: The Hammer Lane, Black Widow) and will feature animation-style art from Udon Studios (Echo). The "All Ages" rated X-Men: Evolution series will debut on November 28 with a story set to reveal how Professor X gathered his students together prior to "Strategy X", the first episode of the animated series.

Here's how Grayson herself set the scene:

"Before the X-Men, before the Xavier Institute, before the rivalry, there were two men with very different visions.
    Before the codenames, before the secret identities, before the world learned to hate and fear mutants, there was a young woman whose most dangerous weapon was her mind.

Before costumes, before the training and before anyone had heard of Adamantium, there was a frightened amnesiac in search of the truth.

Now, the lives of Professor X, Magneto, Storm, and Wolverine collide as the world stands on the brink of genetic war. How do two best friends become archenemies? How does a goddess from Africa find her place in the world? How does a man without a past decide the fate of the future?

All heroes start with power and ambition that they must learn to control. All villains start with ideas that they believe to be just. And all great legends begins with 'once upon a time...'

X-Men: Evolution - in the beginning, there was X!"

It's funny how this is announced the same day as Justice League Adventures....

2. Jowy Blight

Jowy Blight Chillin' Out

hmmm..... I wonder why they didn't just use an episode to cover this.

3. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

Yaay, another X-Men book to take up the already stuffed X-Men related shelves in the comic store.

4. James Harvey

The thing that got me is that a studio will be doing the art. What happened to, you know, pencillers?

5. Lachesis

Lachesis The one with the tape measurer

Udon Studios? Why not the actual animating studio, Madhouse?

6. James Harvey

I thought Film Roman animated X-Men: Evo...

7. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

I don't think this will succeed. None of Marvel's Cartoon books ever survive. I doubt this one will either.

Mr. Eye

8. James Harvey

The original X-MEN ADVENTURES lasted 39 issues before it was canned, so that's not too bad. I think EVOLUTION will last a good 12 issues.

9. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

Yeah but I think they did those in different volumes. Spidey Unlimited lasted only five. Heh, that's funny.

Mr. Eye

10. James Harvey

I suppose, but if ya add them that gives ya 39. They wren't that bad, either. Some issues had some great art. Poor writing all around, though.

11. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

I bought the Spider-Man ones. They had a total of 26 issues (2 volumes). I enjoyed most of them.

Mr. Eye

12. James Harvey

I bought some of them, too and they weren't too bad. The writing was the standard for Marvel's animated books. The art got better in the later issues with the new inker.

13. BourgeoisBuffoon

BourgeoisBuffoon Shouldn't I Be Melting Now...?

I'll go with Leap Larry here....it seems there are too many X-Men books... (gets stuff thrown at him)

What WAS the very first X-Men book? I think the X-Men are cool, but I don't know where or IF I wanna start with all the books...

Also, DGrayson, in the comics industry, just about anything pays better than pencilling nowadays....a pity, since most books of ANY comic usually has some bad drawer to be the regular artist...

14. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

Remember how the first few issues were done in regular Marvel art style? I didn't like that at all....

Mr. Eye

15. James Harvey

Agreed. It looked just so awful. When that new inker came on, the series did a complete 180 and had some nice art. Especially tyhe two part HOBGOBLIN story.

16. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

I remember liking the Hammerhead issue a lot in the second volume.

Mr. Eye

17. James Harvey

I remember that ish! I also remember a cool Scorpion story when the title changed to Marvel Adventures.

18. Mr. Eye

Mr. Eye Member

Cool. I had that issue, but sold it to a friend. But wasn't the art a bit iffy?

Mr. Eye