X-Men: Evolution "Ascension, Parts 1 & 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Bird Boy, Oct 18, 2003.

?

Rate and Comment On This Season Finale!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

25.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Boyd Kirkland

Boyd Kirkland Member

The glimpses into the future represented a variety of different time frames. We weren't planning to get to all of that stuff in the fifth season, if ever, on this series. But we were talking about skipping ahead a couple of years, with the older guys in college, and some new younger faces added to Xavier's school. The Jean storyline was to take place gradually, arcing throughout the season.

2. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

Were there any specific ideas for new characters? Like, Gen X cast, or some people like that?

3. Mini Wolfsbane

hi Mr.Kirkland!:D

Okay,
    Do you think any of the following characters could have been put in a fifth season either as guest stars or new characters ?:

Emma Frost
    Psylocke
    Moira Mactaggart
    Artie
    Syrin
    Banshee

Oh,and I must ask:
    At the end of Ascension part two,Gambit had his arm around Rogue.
    Was this a very subtle way of saying that they became an actual couple ?

Thank you.

4. addismad

addismad Member

before this turns into a Q and A thread, i do have just one more question for the next time Boyd visits this thread.

You said that you had plans on jumping a couple of years into the future when they were at college (which i like the idea of by the way:) ) Would you already of had colossus and X23 on the team as well as Rogues new powers and the new uniforms or would you have slowly introduced them if at all?

Plus we didn't see Wolverine in the future, intead it seemed X-23 replaced him, do you think you would of actually been able to do this and leave Wolverine completly out of the team considering he is the most popular character and Marvel likes to have him in everything?

5. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

While it's always supercool to hear from Boyd, stop with the questions. Please. Let the man post here when he wants to post, k?

6. Boyd Kirkland

Boyd Kirkland Member

X-Men: Evolution Season 5

While I can appreciate the interest and curiosity about what could have/should have happened during the 5th season, the reality is, we hadn't really gotten very far in working out specifics beyond the generalities I've already mentioned. We'd only had a couple of brain-storming sessions to discuss possibilities amongst ourselves, but nothing was finalized or approved by the network. We didn't want to spend too much time on this until we knew we had a pick-up, which, of course, never happened. :crying:

7. addismad

addismad Member

Thats fair enough, thankyou for taken time out just to clear up something i didn't know which was whether you did have many plans for a season 5 or not, which i can now see you didn't. Sorry with the bombardment of questions:sweat:

8. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having the next season take place a few years after the finale. Putting some of the characters into a college setting and keeping the youngers around would have really helped the show develop more I think. I loved seeing Jean and Scott and teachers and I would've like to see that developed even more. But like you said things just didn't work out.

I was wondering if I could ask you a question about the DVD. Do you when the next X-Men: Evolution DVD will be out and if it will have all the episodes? Will it have featurettes? Feel free to answer this question over in The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 3. I would really like to buy some more of these DVDs.

9. Spidey2099

Spidey2099 Active Member

I'm definately happy with them skipping ahead only to the college years instead of jumping right into the far future. It had me worried, quite honestly. It's better seeing how the characters progress in the present rather than through flashbacks.

10. Boyd Kirkland

Boyd Kirkland Member

I did a video interview last November for the extras on a planned season 3 set. I think they planned to release them sometime in the second quarter of this year, but have heard nothing definite since then.

11. addismad

addismad Member

Well thanks for letting us know Boyd, at least they are or were planning it. If it's the second quarter then April - June, although i'd say they are running a little late, considering there is no announcement, perhaps it has been pushed back

12. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Thanks for answering my DVD questions! I know I can't be the only one waiting for this DVD to be announced! It'd be great to get the final two seasons in two nice disc sets but I guess that is conversation for the DVD thread!

I'm really glad you told us some of this Boyd. While I really enjoyed the final episode I was glad you were working on ideas for the future. One of my favorite scenes is the one where we see Magneto working with the X-Men training. That was taken from one of my favorite moments in the X-Men comics and it was great to see it animated in the Evolution style.

13. ifthismeansevos

ifthismeansevos It's been a while.

Uh this thread died almost three years ago...Guess I find funny writing in that after three years.
    I missed some muties specially Pyro (Being pyromaniac myself hehe) Or Legion but guess nothing's perfect. X-men ended with a lot of class but without Cable nor Forge X23 Danielle Juggernaut or Acolytes (Except for Colossus why him and no Gambit or both of them?)

I'm glad even if the series is gone we have a nice character in the comic books now, X23 is a nice character (Well now that I know she was created for Evo I'm buying the Marvel Legends figure and some comics) So we are now waiting for the next show...It may be good but that means Evo's complete and irrevocable death (Yet in the comic world death is not that permanent) and for that I can cry.
    Actually that's the meaning of my nickname...yeah I know is stupid to tell it but

14. cheeno

cheeno Active Member

I wonder if this episode has something to with the "Da Vinci code",u know an unconcious effect on viewers...hmm...

15. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

you'll just say anything to get attention for X:Evo wont you?

16. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I'll try to resist the Dr. Cox rant you probably deserve, cheeno, but please, please, please stop spamming the forum with these stupid, pointless posts. It's getting annoying, and it's against the rules.

What does this episode have to do with the Da Vinci Code? I mean seriously.

17. LazyReaper

LazyReaper I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?

Since this thread has already been bumped up, I might as well share that I was finally able to watch all of 4th season yesterday. Since I had pretty much missed all of the airings up here in Canada, minus one or two episodes, seeing the entire season all at once was definitely a treat.

But getting right to the point, let me just say that this episode completely rocked! Yeah, I know it's been said a billion times in here already, but seeing it for the first time was truly awesome. I had chills as the first part ended with all four different teams attacking the different pyramids. It was truly epic :cool: . The only downside to the entire thing was that I knew that Rogue and the Leech kid would have some part in Apocolypse's defeat.

But saying that though, I'm glad they were atleast able to end off the series on a proper note. It seemed rushed, but it was still cool nonetheless. All the X-Men looked spiffy in their new costumes in the future, and the forshadowing of more Sentinels and the Dark Pheonix storyline was just plain awesome for them to put that in there for us.

It's too bad that the show didn't get to continue any further, but atleast it had a good run, and it ended with some closure. I would've hated it if we had a cliffhanger at the end, but this series finale wasn't bad at all.

The entire season itself wasn't on par after a fabulous 3rd Season, but that was to be expected with only 9 episodes. The show would've dragged down alot further in my opinion if all the episodes focused just on Apocolypse, so it was a nice change for them to show these different adventures, while still keeping up on Apocolypse's arc on the side every now and then. In the end though, I'm glad that the show ended the way it did: on a high note.

5 out of 5

18. BackLash

BackLash The One Man Bureaucracy

I hope no one minds if I bump this up. I have a question about this this finale. What does everyone think of the vision of the future team. After the fourth season but before the future X-Men Xavier envisioned, do you think Gambit and Angel joined and Spyke re-joined the X-Men? I ask because Jubliee and Wolfsbane returning to the new mutants and X-23 and Colosus joining the X-Men happend and they were in that final picture (also Rogue looks like she's wearing Gambit's Jacket), but Boom Boom was in the picture too, but it didn't look like she returned to the ranks. The future vision is awesome and would love to see that expanded on though I know that won't happen. Great finale though!!

19. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

So you're asking if Gambit and Angel joined during the time between the end of the series and whenever Xavier's future visions took place? That's sort of a matter of opinion, because there's zero proof one way or the other. Given that Colossus and X-23 showed up as future X-Men members in Xavier's visions, I'm inclined to say Gambit and Angel didn't officially join the team at any point, seen or unseen, since it seems they would have taken care to show that in the future visions as they did with Colossus and X-23.

As for Rogue's future costume, it looked to me like they were trying to emulate one of her more recent comic costumes, seen here.

20. Steve G

Steve G Member

Sorry, BCVM22, I never saw that version of Rogue before...it was Gambit's coat she was wearing. make of it what you will.

S