X-Men: Evolution "Ascension, Parts 1 & 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Bird Boy, Oct 18, 2003.

?

Rate and Comment On This Season Finale!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

25.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

Oh. Hm. Well then. :sweat:

On the topic of the future visions, Mr. Gordon, I've always been curious - do you know if the things shown in the vision (Magneto instructing at the Institute, Dark Phoenix, the future X-team, etc) were elements that the creative staff intended to put in the show had it been continued, or were they conceived solely for Xavier's visions?

2. Mini Wolfsbane

And I'll take it like this:

:anime: YAAAYYYY!!!!:anime:

Proof!!

Romy forever!! Bwhahaha!!:evil:

I'd heared that elsewhere, but I wasn't sure how true it was.
    Thanks for the clarification, Mr. Gordon.

...Dang Rogue looks ugly in that picture! But, then again, that wasn't Sal's
    best work either. I'm guessing that's from X-Treme X-Men, right ?
    Because she has the tattoo.

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Member

...ROGUE KILLED GAMBIT BECAUSE SHE WANTED HIS COAT! WHOO!!!

(Yes, I posted this JUST to annoy Mini Wolfsbane...)

4. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Was that from the horrible X-Men: The End mini-series?

As for Gambit and Rogue eventually becoming an item in X-Men: Evolution continuity, I can see it but I don't see why every continuity has to stick to it. Gambit's a fairly useless character and I'd rather see Rogue eventually come to her senses. I loved how X-Men: Evolution toyed with a possible Rogue/Scott relationship as that one seems to make more sense than Rogue and Gambit.

5. ifthismeansevos

ifthismeansevos It's been a while.

But I read somewhere Rogue ended up with Scott in one of the interviews to the staff in MMA page and I stick with that. I mean yeah Gambit is kinna cool but Coogue (I hate to do that) it's just awesome. If Angel was no original member then Romy will never happen in that universe I mean if Colossus is gay in UU What can't happen?
    And it was an interview with some of the production guys I just can't remember who is he. but Stu or Arsenal know better than me...
    As for the Question. No Angel goes to UK and is part of the Xcalibur incarnation in the Evo universe and Gambit is part of the more violent Cable stryke team: X-Force.
    What cvould it be no? Remember someone made Hulk a idiot in UU so this can happen and it would be better than that version of Hulk.

6. Mini Wolfsbane

ROTF!!!:anime:

On the contrary, just the way in which you worded that makes it hilarious.

Thanks. I've been in a bad mood all day and I really needed that.:)

Gah, what did I do, turn this into another will they/won't they get together
    debate ?!

Wasn't my intention. I was just expressing my joy.

7. Is that the explanation behind the different teams in the final episodes flash to the future. Can anyone confirm the line-ups or can anyone who worked on the show provide some insight. I find this pretty interesting.

8. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

That sounds like 100% fiction to me. I don't recall any staff member on the show talking about Evo-versions of Excalibur, Cable, or X-Force.

It was Frank Paur, whose interview is here: http://marvel.toonzone.net/xmenevo/interviews/paur/

The relevant quote, which comes after a mention of the Rogue/Scott crush:
    Gambit and Jean are notably not included, and Rogue does indeed land next to Scott. Make of that what you will.

9. Nygma

Nygma Active Member

"Okay team this is it. Everything you ever learned about yourselves, your strengths, and your limits, it all comes down to this moment. Tonight we're the worlds last and best hope to stopping this mad man so we're gonna trash those pyramids any way we can, no matter who we gotta through to do it."
    -
    Wolverine

The nail-biting ending of part 1 and the speech by Wolverine at the very beginning really set up this episode perfectly.

A fantastic series finale:

Though the resolution with Rogue was a bit anti-climatic. But I can let it pass, because I've seen resolutions that have been a hundred times worse (yes I'm looking at you Teen Titans). That and although they did do the secluded girl saved the world ending, they didn't try to shove it down our throats at all.

By the way, am I the only one who seemed to recognize the Christmas score (from On Angels Wings) when Rogue is about to get off the helicopter. I loved hearing that score again, especially for the series finale.

Other great things I loved about the episode:
    -The Brotherhood arriving (in the only way they know how to) to help Wanda in Mexico.

-Jean and Xavier having a telepathic battle. I'll say it once again Xavier walking is one of the creepiest visuals I had ever seen on the show.

-Magneto reunites with Wanda and Pietro. Lance also reunites with Kitty. Mystique is rejected by her children.

-Wolverine shines as a leader and tactician. Leading the 4 teams into battle.

-Xavier's speech at the end was fantastic, giving us a great look into the future, and the final shot of the entire group at the end.

I remember reading an interview where Frank Paur said he had to cut about 5 minutes out of the series finale. I'd love to know what all was cut out if possible. Looking back its amazing how much they were able to squeeze into 22 minutes of this episode.

Anyways this was a fantastic series finale. X-Men Evolution getting canned after this got on my nerves back then, and it still gets on my nerves to this day. Considering how great this show was, its amazing to see how much they still had left to give. Considering the great ratings this show was getting on Kids WB and CN, its disappearance still boggles my mind.

Oh well this still gets *****.

10. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

btw, why is WHV delaying the release of S4???

11. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

Because the sales figures of the first 3 didn't dictate a release for the 4th?

12. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

maybe this'll teach them to strike while the iron's hot, the X3 dvd release would've been ideal. Now they'd have to wait til the next X series goes to dvd...Fall '08/Spring '09?

13. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

I think you assume mistakenly that Season 4 ever actually sees a DVD release.

14. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Ah Ascension... The ultimate finale to a very good show (At least in my opinion). I really like Apocolypse's design in the show, along with his choice of Horsemen, yeah I agree with alot of people here about that.

You know, I wish X-Men Evolution had a fifth season because the Pheonix Story and Mr. Sinister would've been awesome.

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

...Except that we've already seen those in X-Men: TAS. There was no reason to continue Evolution after the kids graduated high school; going any further would've just been X:TAS Film Roman style. It would've been a classic case of "been there, seen that".

Also, I've personally never cared for Mr. Sinister, but that's just me.

16. Anwar

Anwar Lord of the Vindaloovians

I'll never get why there was so much hate over starting off the X-Men as kids and having the world not know about mutants from the start, because that was how it was in the original comics at first.

At least they managed to show a more realistic progression of mutantphobia from the rest of the world upon their discovery here.

17. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

True but I just wonder how different would The Pheonix Story be in Evo. What could Boyd Kirkland possibly done with that storyline?

I never understood the hate either. I thought it always made sense that the show would start off the X-Men as teenagers and nobody knew that certain students were mutants but later on, people found out about the existance of mutants.

18. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

An awesome finale to an awesome show at least that's my opinion. But the point is, Boyd Kirkland and co. gave the show a good send off, it's like their way of saying "Sorry but good bye" to the fans of the series.

Again, as I said before I would've liked to what they could've done with Season 5 as I would've liked to see Mr. Sinister and The Pheonix Storyline.

19. DawnWarrior

DawnWarrior Member

I badly need to watch this episode again; it's fading from my memory. Where's the season 4 box when you need it?

I remember liking how each season finale tried to bring together all the characters on the show, and how there would be more and more characters each season.

20. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Well, you can try to search legal outlets (i.e., non-bootlegs, not illegally uploaded, etc.) online in order to find the episodes.