1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by suss2it, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

130 minutes is like 40 minutes too long. I just don't like long movies. Get 'em tight, trim the fat.

2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

More info on Scarlet Witch:

Bryan Singer Reveals Scarlet Witch's Role In X-MEN: DOFP; Says She's Been Cut From The Movie

Yeah, the fact that they messed up QS and SW relationship really ruins the anticipation to see them at all. They could have an entire subplot going into exactly how Magneto discovers them and all. I think they also had another sister named Polaris or something that they could delve into. The way they handle this franchise is just so strange and convulted.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It's fine with me that that scene got cut, 'cause I don't like this take on the characters anyway. I wanted to see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as 'The Twins' and get some delving into their relationship with Mags. Luckily there's Age of Ultron for the former.

#463 Silverstar, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  4. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I depends on the movie. At 150 minutes, Transformers feels absolutely ungodly long because it's a glorified B-movie with endless padding. Lawrence of Arabia, on the other hand, is nearly four hours, and it flies by. While this does sound long for a superhero movie, there's a lot narrative to get through and many characters to juggle, and I have high hopes that Singer will be able to handle it.

5. Rabbitearsblog

I agree. I think it would have worked better if the movie was longer because of how many characters are being featured in this film and also because the film is dealing with two different timelines that would require a lot of explaining to do with how both timelines ended up where they are at.

6. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

The thing is, how long can you get away with having someone like James McAvoy as Professor X? He works as a young Xavier in his 20s and 30s (First Class and Days of Future Past). But will he work as a middle-aged Xavier? No way! I can't see it, at all.

They might be onto something with young Beast (though Kelsey Grammar was much closer to the classic take on the character) and Magneto (Fassbender lacks the silver hair, but generally speaking he's a competent replacement for Ian McKellen, if still a little bit too young for sequels which ought to be set in, say, the 90s). However, I don't think McAvoy can pull off an older Xavier, even if he's bald.

I'm also not too thrilled with the prospect of MORE Mystique. I appreciated her character development in First Class and she seems like an appropriate villain for Days of Future Past. But they have to let go of the character sometime (there are other X-villains), and the same could even be said of Magneto, to be honest.

It's probably worth mentioning as well that Lawrence, McAvoy, Fassbender etc. might not even want to appear in a fourth film after Apocalypse. Just because the original cast were happy to come back for this film doesn't mean that the current young actors will want to keep reprising the roles indefinitely. At least with Stewart, McKellen etc. you have a cast who are already known to be happy with the idea of coming back to these roles. We haven't crossed that bridge yet with the young cast, who might want to leave after Apocalypse.

I don't see the point in recasting everyone from the original films anyway when those actors are all still around. Stories can still be told which are set in the future. Pretty sure that First Class was announced as the first of a 'prequel trilogy' as well. Maybe Apocalypse (which could still feature a few old cast members in some capacity) will be the last 'early days of the X-Men' film and then they can do more with the more fleshed out cast of the original films.

7. JCK

JCK Member

8. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

How Xavier is walking is explained.
    [video=youtube;JhpuUD1fWvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhpuUD1fWvs[/video]

9. JCK

JCK Member

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So Xavier gave up his telepathy for the use of his legs... I assume he'll have to get his powers back somehow to use Cerebro and that will force him back into a wheelchair.

And it looks like Hank is holding back his "Beast" form somehow, but getting stressed or angry reverts him back. So, yeah, basically like the Hulk :p.

11. JCK

JCK Member

Can I share a theory with you all?

X-Men: Days of Future Past | "Let's Go" TV Spot [HD] | 20th Century FOX - YouTube

At about 0:08 of this TV spot, Logan says "It's good to see everyone." I'm only guessing of course but he seems to be in the mansion. Though I think, because his hair has greys, he's in the fixed future where the world has been saved. And maybe the everyone he refers to are X-Men, some of which were dead in the timeline before he went back and altered it. Just my thoughts...

And here's a scene advertised at the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52608

#471 JCK, May 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
  12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's tracking that well? This should be interesting...

13. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

14. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

15. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Goofy-outfit and hair aside, the Quicksilver scenes look pretty badass.

[video=youtube;Suxugk0_YqI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suxugk0_YqI[/video]

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

That looked really cool. I was hating on him, but wow.

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I still wish we were getting Wanda too, but Pietro...er, um...Peter does look pretty cool in action, despite his somewhat dorky look.

18. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Yahoo were streaming some footage from the red carpet of the New York premiere last night. I caught a little bit of it online. James McAvoy said that Patrick Stewart's "time's up" as Professor X, but I hope he's wrong about that. He was referring to the scene they have together, and said that when acting that scene he felt like he was giving that message straight to Patrick Stewart's face. Let's hope Stewart's little hint about having "something X-Men related" coming up is true though!

Also, there were two surprise guests on the red carpet. Hopefully that means what I think it means.

19. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

That's a cool clip. I was thinking at work the other day about ways to depict super-speed on film. Speed up one character and slow down the others at different framerates? Depict particular objects and impacts and different speeds? Looks like Singer's way of doing it will be interesting at the very least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.