1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, May 23, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Movie!

1. *****

64.3%
  2. ****1/2

14.3%
  3. ****

14.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

7.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Kinberg and Singer stated that DofP will fix things from Last Stand and Origins. So I believe some things will be mentioned as existing and others won't.

I don't think they are tied to the entire events in those films, just certain elements. It's a time travel film, or more precisely alternate reality. So now we have a new thread of timeline. Maybe Weapon X did happen just differently.

2. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Your distaste for Origins does not remove it from canon, even if this movie does ;).

3. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

I think XMDOFP removes X-Men Origins from canon after 1973. Everything before 1973 I think it still have happened. I say this because The Wolverine was in canon with X3 and WO and the after credits scene of TW was directed by Singer and connects directly with XMDOFP.

I don't remember WO so well, so I got this from Wikipedia:

This 1975 year is stated clearly on the screen or is it implied? If it's clearly stated, then WO is not cannon, because in 1973 Stryker was much younger than this version of WO. But if it's merely implied, it could have happened a lot of years in advance in some sort of Black Ops US operation in Southeast Asia, just like they did when they have retold Snake Eyes origins in the recent years, replacing the Vietnam conflict with some unknown one in Southeast Asia.

4. Hanshotfirst1138

I haven't seen the film in a while, so I could very well be misremembering, but didn't part of the plot involve the 1979 Three Mile Island Incident? Comics have of course always been infamous for sliding timescales and updating characters every few years though, so it's just rolling the tradition.

5. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

To answer one of the questions above, I think the only glance of X-Men Origins: Wolverine that we get is the shot of Sabretooth stomping on Wolverine's bone claws. I plan to see if for a third time and will keep a better look out.

I am glad to see the film has already crossed $500M worldwide - the film is a big hit! I really hope the entire team comes back for the next one. I really enjoyed DOFP and it holds up on repeat viewings so far. I will likely catch it at least once more. It's great that the First Class team gets the focus as it really makes the film feel like both a true sequel to First Class but also a bridge between the two X-Men series. It is definitely the best way to handle to handle it. This film deserves every last dollar it has made.

6. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

Again, I don't remember Wolverine Origins that much, but in Wikipedia they say the main events of the movie happen 6 years after the "1975" encounter between Wolverine and Stryker. So it would be 1981 and not 1979.

In the movie the Three Mile Island incident is mentioned as happened because of the fight between Wolverine and Deadpool, or it was the incident that was used as a cover up so Stryker could build his base in the Nuclear Plant? If it was the latter, then I could have happened in a few years in the future and it would not change anything substantial.

7. the greenman

Producer confirms the blu ray will have the deleted scenes:

Lauren Shuler Donner confirms X-Men Days of Future Past Director's Cut on Blu Ray DVD

Mod Note: Here's Laura's Tweet
    https://twitter.com/ShuDonner/status/482217016346939393

8. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I'm very happy that they're releasing an extended/director's cut with Rogue's scenes. :) Hopefully all of the Rogue footage will be reinserted.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice to hear that Rogue's scenes will make it in the director's cut, though I have to really wonder about what they're going to do about Iceman :ack:.

10. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Presumably some scenes were re-shot in post-production? Because in the original cut, Rogue would've been there with Xavier, Magneto, Kitty and Wolverine's body just before the timeline was erased.

My guess is that the shot of Iceman's death will be moved to the end of the escape scene, and the shot of Kitty crying (seen right after his death in the theatrical cut) will happen when Xavier and Magneto return with Rogue but without Iceman.

11. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Below is an excerpt from the press release for the film's upcoming home video release.

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST
    Grossing Nearly $740 Million Worldwide To Date, the Most Anticipated X-Men Comic Adaptation Releases
    on Digital HD September 23,
    3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD October 14
    X-Men Unite! The only way to save the future is to go into the past. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment takes you back in time to stop the end of the world with X-Men: Days of Future Past on 3D Blu-ray, Blu-ray and DVD on October 14 and Digital HD September 23rd. Featuring a massive collaboration of legendary actors and the return of director Bryan Singer, “the very best [film] of the franchise since the first X-Men†comes to life in amazing fashion that you’ll have to see to believe (Stephen Rebello, Playboy).

A heroic all-star cast including Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Jennifer Lawrence forms the ultimate X-Men ensemble as the unstoppable characters from the original X-Men trilogy must join forces with their younger selves in an epic battle to change the past and save the future.

The X-Men: Days of Future Past Blu-ray and DVD brings nearly an hour of never-before-seen special features that will take you even further into the making of this epic adventure. From the background story and creation of the building of the Sentinels program, to a gag reel of cast member’s “finest†mutant moments, the Blu-ray is a must-have for any true fan and new fans of the franchise.

X-Men: Days of Future Past Special Features
    -Deleted Scenes with Optional Audio Commentary by Bryan Singer
    -Gag Reel
    -Kitchen Sequence
    -Classification: M
    -X-Men: Reunited
    -Double Take: Xavier & Magneto
    -Sentinels: For A Secure Future
    -Gallery: Trask Industries
    -Second Screen App
    -Theatrical Trailers

12. Hanshotfirst1138

Saw this again just before it cycled out of my local multiplex, was even more impressed the second time. Great to have Singer back, and be rid of Vaughn. Still might be the summer's movie to beat. October is a long wait :(. Wonder if there'll be a boxed set besides that big unwieldy Adamantim collection thing. Director's cut probably won't be much, but anything new will be nice to have. I feel like for once, there's genuinely room for more stuff.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

14. the greenman

15. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Hmm. Now I'm not sure if I'll just buy it on DVD next month and wait for the 2015 Blu-ray, but I get the feeling all the extras from the 2014 Blu-ray won't be carried over to the 2015 release. We all KNOW they should have just put both cuts on the October release, but if they wanted us to double dip, wouldn't it make more sense to release it in 2016 to coincide with Apocalypse and include exclusive Apocalypse material?

16. the greenman

I should clarify this is not a theatrical rerelease. Anyways, yeah, FOX does this alot with alternate cuts. Which is why I think they're not going to have a problem doing an unrated Deadpool dvd/bd release.

They say the scene might be around ten minutes, and I have to wonder how it would change a very cool film. Better or worse?

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

18. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I picked up the Blu-ray given how inexpensive it is everywhere. I haven't opened it yet since I might come across a retail exclusive I like more than what I got at Wal-Mart (a small, flimsy comic). I did catch the deleted scenes online and there is one that I particularly liked and that was the scene of Wolverine and Storm kissing. Some of the complaints have that is comes out of left field but for fans of the comics and the animated cartoons this actually doesn't. I always liked the idea of these two as a couple and I like the nod to it here. I kind of wish that cut scene was kept in.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

All that sexual tension from X3 had to go somewhere :p.

Though it is a nice reference to their various romances in the comics :).

Seems like the original intention of the Stryker scene was to play it straight, without Stryker being Mystique, and have it be the canon depiction of Logan's induction into Weapon X.

20. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Okay, I saw this on DVD last night.

Awesome film! But help me out here:

Some people are saying "Hooray! This deletes X-Men: The Last Stand and Wolverine:Origins" but uh...I think this deletes EVERYTHING. Doesn't it?

Mystique is no longer is affiliated with Magneto. Doesn't that undo the original "X-Men" film? Unless you're saying to two end up back together, but doesn't that take away one of the main themes of this movie (Mystique finding her own identity separate from Xavier/Magneto)? I think Wolverine's question to Charles there at the end, saying he'll need an update on history for the last 50 years really does mean things are completely different.

And was that final scene still 10 years in the future? Because why are people like Rogue and Iceman (who we saw in that final scene) still in school? Unless it's become less of a school and more of a housing project...

I watched this with my wife - and she's a casual "superhero movie" fan, but I was amazed at how much she remembered from previous X-Men films. When Wolverine starts freaking out and relapsing, it finally clicked "Oh, it's because he saw that guy there - remember from Wolverine: Origins?" and my wife was like "Yeah, it's Stryker, he's the one that bonded adamantium to Logan, I got this figured out, honey". Been 4 years since we watched that movie. She also remembered stuff from X-Men: First Class. So as confusing as the X-Men mythology is, my wife was following right along. I was impressed. ;) Having said that, she was stumped by the scene with Apocalypse after the end credits. She thought that was the future, I said "No, I'm pretty sure that's the distant past" - and I had to explain that Apocalypse is an X-Men villain, and that they were setting up the next movie...

Sidenote: Thumbs up on casting Bolivar Trask as a midget. What a twist, and he certainly was menacing!