1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Days of Future Past" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, May 23, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Movie!

1. *****

64.3%
  2. ****1/2

14.3%
  3. ****

14.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

7.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Change the past, save the future.

[​IMG]

X-Men: Days of Future Past
    Release Date: May 23, 2014
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Director: Bryan Singer
    Screenwriter: Simon Kinberg
    Starring: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry, Nicholas Hoult, Ellen Page, Shawn Ashmore, Peter Dinklage, Omar Sy, Daniel Cudmore, Fan Bingbing, Boo Boo Stewart, Adan Canto, Evan Peters, Josh Helman, Lucas Till, Evan Jonigkeit

Plot Summary: The ultimate X-Men ensemble fights a war for the survival of the species across two time periods in "X-Men: Days of Future Past." The beloved characters from the original "X-Men" film trilogy join forces with their younger selves from "X-Men: First Class," in an epic battle that must change the past ... to save our future.

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -The Wolverine Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: First Class Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men Origins: Wolverine Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: The Last Stand Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X2: X-Men United Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: Days of Future Past Classic Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: The Animated Series "Days of Future Past" Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Wolverine and The X-Men "Foresight, Parts 1 - 3" Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, so please keep your posts as thoughtful, relevant and insightful as possible. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Most importantly, please keep discussions ON-TOPIC!

2. StormBlue

StormBlue Defender of Light

Just returned from the movie. Completely satisfied with the narrative as well as the impact the story has on the greater "universe." A lot of strong dialogue provided for many of the core characters. Trask works better as a villain for this movie compared to Sebastian Shaw, even though Shaw was good. This was also the first movie where I enjoyed Wolverine's presence and did not feel like it was shoe-horned in just to show off Hugh Jackman.

For those of you wondering, definitely stay to the end!

3. Here are some spoilers Enjoy guys don't blame me for anything spoiling your movie.

4. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

"Stick with me, baby. Stick with me anyhow. Things should start to get interesting right about now."
    Bob Dylan

"You'd best be careful what you wish for friend, 'cause I've been to hell and now I'm back again."
    Steve Earle

"Keep what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own."
    Bruce Lee Sing-Lung

Buckle up fanboys. Summer is here at at last, with a blast of a blockbuster to set the bar remarkable high. It's hard to believe that it's been almost 15 years since Bryan Singer first kicked off the still-strong wave of superhero films with 2000's X-Men. With top-shelf thespians and sleek direction, Singer followed in the footsteps of Donner and Burton in developing a way to depict comic-book superheroes with seriousness and a degree of intelligence. X2 was even better, a bigger and more complex sequel that set up many possibilities with its finale which unfortunately never came to fruition. Sadly, the X-Men franchise was left floundering directionless with the director's departure, devolving in a serious increasingly poor sequels. Elsewhere, Singer's career disappointed frequently, with the misconstrued Superman Returns and the amicable but unimpressive Jack the Giant Slayer. Finally regaining a degree of sanity with the the Singer-produced First Class, the man who started it all is back in the director's chair to attempt to untangle the franchise's increasingly unwieldy mythology, massive cast, and increasingly irrelevance against Marvel Studios excellent lineup. And he succeeds wildly, with easily the best superhero outing since at least Joss Whedon's The Avengers, juggling the film's ensemble cast, pop gravitas, twisty time-travel narrative, and slick, James Cameron-style action sequences, in adapting one of the comics' most celebrated storylines. It took ten years, but this is finally the sequel X-fans deserved, and more.

The story opens in the not too distant future, when the X-Men are being hunted by massive robots known as Sentinels, designed by eugenicist Bolivar Trask in an attempt to wipe out mutant-kind. Liquid metal monsters to rival the T-1000, they're adaptable and all-but invincible, and outnumber the ragtag mutants by thousands. In a horrifying holocaust in a post-apocalyptic world, the surviving mutants, hunted to near extinction, have discovered a method to travel in time and avoid their pursuers, at least in the short term, allowing them to temporarily avoid the ever-more powerful hunters. The whole future was instigated my Mystique's murder of Trask in the 1970s, and the time-travel just might offer a solution, buut there's a catch: going back any further than a few weeks is too rigorous for anyone to survive. Except maybe a certain iconic adamantium-clawed mutant with healing powers. Going back to 1973 to stop Mystique from assassinating Trask and starting the anti-mutant mayhem while the Sentinels close in on the future X-Men with nowhere to run, Wolverine finds past Xavier a bitter and broken man from the events of First Class, stripped not only of his powers, but of his purpose, and desperately tries to convince him to and his only remaining pupil, the Beast, to try to change the course of the future with the reluctant help of Magneto, who's slippery personal agenda could prove their undoing at any moment.

Wisely discarding most of the irritating "X-kids" from Vaughn's overrated X-Men: First Class while retaining the effective cast members-Mcavoy, Fassbender, Hoult, and Lawrence-and throwing in a delightful bonanza of cameos from the original cast, giving them a proper send-off after Brett Ratner's hideous X-Men: The Last Stand, Singer swings for the fences. Though the future cast is disappointingly underused as they aren't the meat of the narrative, seeing McKellen and Stewart back is simply wonderful, their chemistry and repartee remaining as delightful as ever and adding gravity to the proceedings even when delivering occasionally clunky expositon, though the majority of the narrative takes place within the past, with Hugh Jackman returning to the role he was born to play in Wolverine. Jackman remains the most perfect bit of superhero casting since Christopher Reeve donned the Man of Tomorrow's cape, Fassbender and McAvoy, especially with Stewart and McKellen alongside them (McAvoy and Stewart meet in one of the film's most inspired passages) as counterpoints, and Lawrence continues to justify her superstar status, blending sexy femme-fatale action chops with surprising vulnerability, even under layers of makeup.

Finally free of the gaudy excesses of Ratner, Vaughn, and Hood, Singer's sleek style, reminiscent of James Cameron at his peak, lends pop-gravity to the proceedings, succeeding in precisely what Vaughn attempted in First Class-tying the films historical setting with social upheavals like the original comics did. Whereas Vaughn felt like he was simply connecting the dots though, Singer properly shakes things up as much as you can in a comic-book world where nothing ever really changes, making full use of his massive budget and getting every cent up on the screen. Though the underutilized future cast feels a bit disappointing, it allows Singer to thin the ever-growing cast to allow for stronger narrative focus. The central fulcrum-the relationship between Mystique, Xavier, and Magneto-allows for an actual character-based narrative with understandable motivations on all sides. As a result, it approaches that obvious but all-too-rare point in blockbuster FX-fests of giving actual weight to the proceedings and reasons to care among the fireworks.

Elsewhere, the jokes are all zingers, particularly some lines for the fans, without spoiling too much, the resolution is wholly satisfying both on its own and a retcon to hideous previous finale, and the set pieces are all rollicking good fun. Singer's action sequences actually make spatial sense, the Sentinels are inspired in design and execution, both as futuristic hunters and clunky 70s tech, the many set pieces executed with the clean choreography of the best pop cinema, reminiscent of James Cameron at his peak, full of clean lines and a clearly delineated sense of who's doing what to whom, ending with an action climax that's both visually spectacular and emotionally satisfying. Singer cites many of his favorites as pop cinema's very best-Nicholas Meyer's Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Spielberg's Jaws-and if he's not quite in their company, he's certainly on the right track. Qucksilver is an inspired creation, his bullet-time style FX as a particular highlight. Signer's use of silence, tension, judicious slow-motion, impressive choreography (some of it courtesy of ace second-unit director Greg Smrz, a John Woo alum who's clearly learned his lessons well), and the stylish cinematography and punchy editing of his top lieutenants- superb DP Thomas Newton Seigel and and editor and composer John Ottman, who lend the film a gorgeous, slightly expressionistic color palette (shot in rich digital with some period footage shot gloriously on celluloid, and occasionally hiding some rather claustrophobic sound-stages) and strong rhythm. For once, bloat isn't a problem as the film's outward expansion actually suggests a larger universe (rumored deleted scenes hint at future treats as Blu-Ray extras) and the film's running time flies by.

Setting the bar impressively high for the rest of the summer, X-Men finally earn some of their glory back, suggesting that this franchise, once on life support, might still have some life left in it yet. Sleek, smart, stylish, funny, and thoroughly entertaining, the gang's all here, and they're better than ever. Though this proves a satisfying denouement, a post-credits stinger nonetheless hints at a new villain and future adventures. But if the world is in peril again, we needn't worry. With Singer back at the helm, we're in good hands. It's great to have him back at last. To me, my X-Men. The bar is high for Avengers: Age of Ultron. Finally, the X franchise is as good as it deserves to be again at long last.

#4 Hanshotfirst1138, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
  5. FireStarterLE

FireStarterLE You don't want to see us mad

i overheard some people saying they'd have to go online to find out who he was (thankfully, unlike Winter Soldier, I didn't have to do that here)

6. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

This was a fantastic movie. It lived up to my expectations and then some. It was great to see Singer's specific style back in this franchise again. You could see his particular flourishes throughout the movie, whether it was the framing, the character interaction, the jokes, the tone, all of it. It felt right and it felt welcome. This is the film fans have been waiting voer ten years for. Even though some of the past X-Men movies have been good, they haven't hit the mark of X2, but this one easily does. It's safe to say this movie ranks up there as the best of the bunch now.

Naturally, I'm disappointed to see some fans bashing this film simply because it's not an MCU film. That's ridiculous and honestly needs to stop. It's tiring and pathetic to see.

And the after credit scene with Apocalypse? Awesome! I am very interested to see how this will play out in the next movie. I also noticed the Four Horsemen in the background. I can't wait to see how this next one plays out and I hope Singer is at the helm.

This easily surpasses Captain America 2 and Amazing Spider-Man 2 as the best super hero flick of the year so far. It'll be very difficult to beat this one. I can't see how fans could be disappointed with this one. A great script, strong directing, and some applause-worthy moments. Such a great flick that I plan to see again this weekend!

7. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

From the moment I first heard about this film, and that it would combine the casts of the original trilogy and First Class, I knew it would easily be the superhero film of the year. I was right. X2 and First Class were both wonderful films, and this one is even better. The 2 and a bit hours just flew by. I especially loved how James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence all pulled off the beginnings of their transitions to how we know them as played by their older counterparts (though things look to play out differently for Mystique now, possibly, because of the time travel). Going in to this film, I was skeptical of McAvoy's downtrodden 1970s Xavier. But he excelled in the role, thanks to a great script and his uncanny ability to actually seem like a believable younger version of Stewart's Xavier (despite some big differences), particularly when speaking to Raven. I was worried that the contrast of the two Xaviers would undermine McAvoy's version, but he really stepped up and delivered. Same with Fassbender's quite austere Magneto. The evolution in the characters which occurred during the 10 year gap between First Class and this film seemed natural, which was very good.

Some spoilers now, including the ending:

There were some little homages to X2 which were quite nice, such as Mystique nearly being caught out when she investigated Trask's files, and Magneto turning the tables on Trask by grafting metal to the Sentinels, just as his older counterpart manipulated Stryker's son in X2.

Were the future sequences definitely set in 2023? I can't remember whether '2023' came up on screen but it probably did and I've just forgotten. We could have done with more scenes set in the future. The film is brilliant as it is, but I will welcome an extended version if one is released on DVD. It would be great to see Rogue have more of a presence beyond her quick cameo at the end. On that subject, I thought she was supposed to take Kitty's powers and replace her as the link between past and future Wolverine? Since Kitty is still aiding future Logan up until the end, I take it that the nature of Rogue's role in her deleted scenes may have been misreported?

It was fantastic to see Jean and Scott again, played by Famke Janssen and James Marsden. I hope we see more of them, and of Stewart's Professor X, in future films. There's just no need to mess with such brilliant casting when you have these able and willing actors all assembled, and plenty of good stories left to tell that would work well in the 'future' timeline. Interesting that Jean had her long hair from The Last Stand instead of her look from X-Men and X2 - a coincidence, or a suggestion that some variation of the Phoenix saga has happened to her by this point?

And I loved how things came full circle with Wolverine having no memory of his past once again - this time because he didn't live those years personally, so he's in a world that is familiar but still a bit of a mystery to him. The ending does seem to confirm that Logan, Charles, Ororo, Scott, Jean etc. will survive whatever happens to them in upcoming McAvoy/Hoult/Fassbender prequels, but that's fine with me. No-one can really complain when The Last Stand has shown what a bad decision it is to kill any of these characters off!

No Angel in the altered future... Significant? With Apocalypse coming, maybe... It's great that the Big A has retained his grey skin and near-omnipotence. It bodes well for his portrayal in the next film.

8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I can't believe this film surpassed Captain America The Winter Soldier. This felt very much like Singer showing everyone he's the man who built this genre, and here's how it's done. This felt very much a sequel to X2, with all the familiar visual cues from the first and second films. The opening felt reminiscent of holocaust scenes in X-Men and to some degree First Class. Fassbinder and Lawrence were beyond this movie in acting chops, they probably raised the bar most. The cinematography was incredible. Alot of scenes in the 70's felt like they belonged to that era. I also felt like Singer showing Quicksilver scenes in 40fps felt clear and clean as opposed to how it's used in The Hobbit.

I loved the Victor Hugo reference, which if you do some research and know his literature fits well with some of the plots and subplots in this film (not to mention at least one actor). Looking forward to Apocalypse, and I have to wonder how things will go from here. I really think Singer was smart not to use timestamps. I also forgot, nice touch on referencing a Clint Eastwood film from that era. Jackman would have been a deadringer for him back then.

#8 the greenman, May 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  9. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Wait a second. Quicksilver? Isn't that who they showed at the end of Winter Soldier? I thought the X-Men and MCU couldn't share characters.

10. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are Magneto's children and classic Avenger. Both studios have their rights. There has been an entertaining run of oneupsmanship that started with Whedon announcing they'd be in Avengers 2.

11. JCK

JCK Member

[QUOTE= It would be great to see Rogue have more of a presence beyond her quick cameo at the end. On that subject, I thought she was supposed to take Kitty's powers and replace her as the link between past and future Wolverine? Since Kitty is still aiding future Logan up until the end, I take it that the nature of Rogue's role in her deleted scenes may have been misreported?

[/QUOTE]

Based on the B-Roll footage (and of course I don't know for sure) I think the rumor was correctly reported. That was just all cut out. I believe Rogue was to take Kitty's place when [B]SPOILER[/B]

a certain someone got injured.

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Also, the Quicksilver who appeared in this film is a different version of the character than the one who appeared with Scarlet Witch in Captain America: the Winter Soldier. Those 2 characters are the ones who will be in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

13. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I've been trying to be hesitant/reluctant on my thoughts on the film so I could be as objective as possible. My thoughts on Bryan Singer being the man (and Superman Returns, and how it should have gotten as sequel) are well on the record.

I was hoping for a more straight up adaptation of the classic story. In the comic story, when we alternate between time periods, the future X-Men are doing more than just holding their ground in one place to protect Kitty as she's in her time sleep/trance. I wanted to see more stuff done in the future because I wanted to see more of the original trilogy X-Men since I have no interest in the First Class X-Men. Thankfully the First Class roster is thinned down to just Magneto, Xavier, Beast, and Mystique. So you can argue that is the original trilogy X-Men, just younger incarnations of them.

One of the aspects in the first two X-Men films I didn't like is that the X-Men go on "covert" missions, and the mutant issues are implied in the world they occupied. The most we get out of it is the scenes involving politics. We don't see the X-Men out in public directly helping humans caught in the cross fire. In The Last Stand, the group teams up with the army in the final battle. In this film's finale, everything is out in the open for the world to see and the ramifications are more greater than doing a "covert" mission at the Statue Of Liberty or an underground base in Canada. Even still, the X-Men aren't fighting. It's just the Magneto and Mystique show. I think its about time the world sees an X-Men team in action going up a Brotherhood team in public. If the only way to make a public fight sequence work is excessive collateral damage in property and lives, then stick to the "covert" missions.

At this point I'm also convinced Wolverine works better in X-Men movies than his solo movies. I know people are getting sick of Wolverine, but they're just doing something better here. I guess it's whatever "conflict" and interaction he might have with people around him. Perhaps most importantly is that Xavier remembered Wolverine from First Class, and seized the opportunity to tell Wolverine his own response he gave Xavier. I was hoping it would be in a more "funny" context, than the "serious" context, but they acknowledged their meeting in the previous film and did something with it. That alone makes me satisfied with the film (just as the Wolverine cameo in First Class alone makes me satisfied with that film). The Magneto and Xavier moments were also way better in this movie than in First Class.

It was also great hearing John Ottman's music/themes again. I thought it was very funny we heard an excerpt of the theme in the 20th Century Fox logo. You know, exactly like how we all hear the Superman theme in the WB logo in Superman Returns!!!! ;) Hopefully Ottman is back in the next film or they reuse his theme, the X-Men films need a consistent main theme. John Ottman's is clearly the best out of all of them.

None the less, and most importantly, I was not disappointed in this film at all. Also surprisingly I felt good at the film's conclusion. The last time I felt satisfaction in what I saw, and walking away from it good/happy was Captain America: The First Avenger. I don't know why at the least I wouldn't. I mean, the person responsible for the first two films was making this. Key original trilogy X-Men cast members are in it. It was adapting the classic story. How could it have gone wrong?

Easily way better and superior to Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Amazing Spider-Man 2. Most likely is the greatest X-Men movie ever made. Most likely is one of the greatest comic book movies ever made. Most likely 5 stars. Again, just don't want to commit to that statement because of whatever Bryan Singer "bias" I might have. I'm just glad to see the overwhelming positive response (critics - rottentomatoes, internet, box office projections) to the movie. Despite Superman Returns, Valkyrie, and Jack The Giant Slayer, the world obviously hasn't forgotten Bryan Singer and what he did with the first two X-men films, especially that now Singer has "competition" with Christopher Nolan and Joss Whedon.

I'll just say this here since it's at the very bottom. If Days Of Future Past is what happens when a key person leaves a franchise, and comes back to it a significant time later. Then it's reason enough why a certain somebody should come back to Superman IF Dawn Of Justice is the "disaster" everyone thinks it will be, and IF/WHEN this certain someone finishes his X-Men IF he is able to continue working on/making them.

14. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Hurray. X-Men The Last Stand is not canon anymore. Although I do wonder about the first 2 films.

Anyway I just came back from seeing it. I thought it was great. All actors play their roles perfectly. The action and special effects were great. Easily one the great comic books movies there is. Can't wait for Apocalypse.

15. honorableninja

love the movie but i swear it left me with a headache

i quite simple to say everything is x men origins wolverine never happened and this the first time stryker ever saw wolverine but if mystique saved him and let him go it pretty much erases the entire frachise which made wonder why rogue is even at the school if she never met wolverine the loner or why she has her famous stripe.

16. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Got back from seeing it a little while ago, and I thought it was fantastic! Suspenseful story, great characters, solid execution, and, thankfully, not drowning in excessive jokiness. It was everything I had wanted, and failed to get, from The Avengers. I hadn't been crazy about Bryan Singer returning, since I don't really care for his first two X-Men movies, so I was worried this would feel more like "Bryan Singer's X-Men 3" instead of "First Class 2." But that turned out to not be the case at all. I felt he did a great job bridging everything together, while setting the stage for future movies. My only real complaint is that I wish Quicksilver, who stole every scene he was in, and (especially) Bishop had gotten more screen time.

But otherwise, wow. I really loved this. Kudos to Singer and everyone else for turning out a terrific movie.

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, this film surpassed my expectations! It was very good.

I think its funny how this film had over twice the amount of characters as ASM2....yet the cast here was handled so much better. For the most part, no one felt wasted, and even the minor characters from the future got to show their stuff!

I love how, in this film, Wolverine didn't feel forced, and he never stole the spotlight! In fact, towards the end, he was pushed to the side!

The sentinels in the future were insane! Man, their actions scenes were brutal! I felt so bad for Colossus.

All the acting was very good, except for whoever played Beast. He didn't sell me, I guess.

A lot of people are gonna have to eat crow regarding Quicksilver (I am one of them). He was very cool, and his super speed scene was a show-stealer!

Dat end credit scene....cool. ENSABBAHNUR!

Overall, much better than ASM2, better than Godzilla, and nearly as good as Winter Soldier. Can't wait for the sequel!

18. Nygma

Nygma Active Member

What makes you think Mystique let him go? ;)

Anyways just got back from the theater. It was better than Captain America: Winter Soldier, a feet I didn't think it would hit with a cast this big. But thankfully the focus stayed on Wolverine, Xavier, Magneto, and Mystique.

I always wanted to see the Sentinels on the big screen ever since the first one. They're humanity's answer for evening the playing field against mutants. They did not disappoint. I also loved that they cast a short guy as Bolivar Trask. It just seems poetic that a guy physically weaker than most would create the biggest monsters humanity would ever see. Jennifer Lawrence continues to shine as Mystique. Can't wait to see her again.

With this movie I can feel I have offically forgiven Bryan Singer for the abomination that was Superman Returns. :)

19. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Beast who said sometimes things won't change no matter what you do or something. So Rogue meeting Wolvie to get to the school just didn't happen, she got there another way. She was meant to be there. Time Machine by HG Wells explored the same thing.

20. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Wolverine had a lot of stuff happen to him between 1973 and 2000. His 1973 self wouldn't remember his 2014 consciousness being in his body. After getting his adamantium and all that, he's likely the same guy in 2000.