1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Dark Phoenix" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Dec 12, 2015.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

...Gladiator :rolleyes2:?

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I see what you did there. That would be fitting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I hadn't even thought of a live-action Gladiator before. That would be so cool.

If Will did have a role, that would be like his third comic role (that I know of) but first off tv. It's nice that he's looking forward to it after Apocalypse though. That movie seemed to really hurt the forward momentum.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 3
    #108 RoryWilliams, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm fine with Chastain as Lilandra, but she's the villain? I guess we're skipping over D'Ken and going straight to the Shi'Ar coming after the Phoenix because of how much of a threat it is o_O.

I'm curious to see how this will impact her relationship with Charles, or if they'll drop that element so as to no to not mess with Charles and Moira's relationship (assuming they're still together by the time of this movie, and Rose Bryne isn't confirmed as well) :ack:.

I'm glad we've got pretty much all the young X-Men back for this, so we can finally see more development with them, and obviously focus on Jean. Though I'm surprised Evan Peters (Quicksilver) isn't listed :eek:.

I'm also kind of shocked Jennifer Lawrence came back for this. I mean, I'd be lying if said I wanted to see more of Lawrence's "#1 X-Man" Mystique after Apocalypse, and I would've thought she'd be done too. Though hopefully she and Erik don't take up too much screentime this outing :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So much mixed feelings on this right now.

Chastain is awesome, and she should do really well as Lilandra. However...when they say "villain", I hope they just mean in that she wants to destroy the Phoenix for the good of her people, and not because she's evil. That would be very OOC. Also curious how they'll adapt her, erm, interesting hair style.

I'm glad that Cyclops, Jean Grey, Nightcrawler, and Storm are returning. They all need some time in the spotlight (especially Storm).

OTOH...Magneto and Mystique? I have to admit, I was very happy that we were getting an X-Men film without them. I'm tired of them (especially "hero" Mystique), so I can only hope they they don't hijack the film from the other X-Men.

Also, I have to assume that Quicksilver will return if they want to wrap up his character arc with his dad.

At the very least, I'm cautiously looking forward to FOX finally going cosmic with the X-Men.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. the greenman

The three major story arcs I have been waiting to see in theaters is the Savage Land, the Morlocks and the real Dark Phoenix.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

I hope we can get a Rogue with flight and super strength and Colossus this time. The team will need them.

13. the greenman

I'll deal with this team dynamic for now. To get those guys, we would need to get rid of Mystique and Erik. They are taking up space. We also need a new Logan.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Yes Fox solve the already broken problem by throwing more money at a franchise that is already failing with a director with no experience.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree with the collective "ugh" regarding Magneto and Mystique returning. I'm also skeptical of Kinberg directing. Not the news I was hoping for. Mixed feelings. We'll see if that changes.

EDIT: The movie will reportedly take place in 1991.

• Agree Agree x 3
    #115 Yojimbo, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  16. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

It's pretty obvious that Lawerence while filming and promoting Apocalypse was DONE with Mystique and was tired of the character. However not only do sometimes you long for something you thought you were tired of after awhile but... pretty clear looking Lawerence's upcoming filmography that J. Law after Hunger Games and David O Russell flicks doesn't really have much going for her right now. Seems like her star kind of dimmed thus being more willing to go back to roles she seemingly outgrew but I guess still wants to do.

And yeah though I think Mystique in these movies can still work... I really don't think we should be having so many returning cast especially since we're liking still going to be having a number of new characters other then just Chastain's role. I get that the focus will be on the school of mutants but again these latest X related films of Deadpool and Logan worked so well because they were toned down and weren't bombaded by so many characters you lost track of who was who or even which personality fit the mutant power. For a movie titled Dark Phoenix the focus should really just be on Jean Grey not on the teachters and supporting staff which feels like it will happen. Love to be proven wrong about that but again going on what I know from other shows there's more of an actual plot insider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

The only reason I would accept Mystique in this movie is if she sets up Rogue and LEAVES. JLaw obviously hates the character process, and why would you have someone continue to play Mystique who hates everything about the character?

Besides, they turned her into something that goes against the character's background, almost to where she isn't even Mystique except for the powers. Not to mention she has nothing to do with the Phoenix story...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. the greenman

Well, let's hold out hope that this a planned trilogy. Also, hope that this will be the last period era. They could do this in '91, the sequel in '94, the 3rd in '99. In the sequel, perhaps give us a new incarnation of the Hellfire Club, and delve into Jean and Mastermind. They could even get into X-Men universe prime give us a cameo of Famke Jannsen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It reminds me of how things went with Apocalypse. I really like the cast and hope for a great X-Men team movie but all of these other decisions are just throwing me off.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  20. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

On Lilandra being the apparent villain, I'm unsure and though I am glad that she's going to make her first live-action appearance on this. I really do hope that she doesn't turn out to be the antagonist of the film.

Which begs the question: When are we going to see Mister Sinister in a future X-Men film? He was teased in the post-credits scene of Apocalypse.

Also about the possibility of Kinberg being the director, it's not like it's the only big-budget film of a major film franchise that served as a directorial debut. Look at Mission: Impossible III. That was J.J. Abrams' directorial debut and love him or hate him, he was responsible for reviving the film franchise after a six-year hiatus since Mission: Impossible 2 divided fans and critics, despite being the highest-grossing film of 2000.

Plus, I do hope both Mystique and Magneto have reduced roles in this because for the former, I thought Jennifer Lawrence was done with this since she said that she wouldn't return after Apocalypse plus her portrayal of the character is divisive among fans.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk