1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Dark Phoenix" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

True, whether or not that was intended, after Apocalypse -- it was nice to get a rest from it.

Like we've been saying since 2015 apparently, hopefully Dark Phoenix is just the first in a 2 parter or trilogy that's directly focused on Jean rather that last attempt...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Alot of fans felt they were "rushing" things with the character Apocalypse being the big bad in that film. At first I didn't see that as rushing, but if you think about it in terms of this 1st Class team, than yeah I think so. Basically, it felt like FOX wanted to pushed out their version of Darkseid/Thanos at the "end" of this First Class Trilogy, instead of building him up over time. Honestly FOX needs to just build better storytelling. These franchise films need to be built like a television series. Instead, with the exception of Marvel, they feel like a musicians tour, they might not come to your town this year, but maybe in the next 5 years or so.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Yeah... I guess they just want to tackle that straight away. We'll see how it turns out. I'm not worried about it. If they really want to improve after Apocalypse and what The Last Stand did with the Phoenix story, I think we'll get a really good movie. I mean Days of Future Past, Deadpool and Logan are definitely proof of some great storytelling and/or film-making.
    I could see a two-parter. I'm not sure about a whole trilogy on it. Some people don't even want this movie because it reminds them of The Last Stand and because we haven't met this Jean for that long yet.

I would be up for a trilogy all set during the 90s after the prequel trilogy went from the 60s to the 80s. Considering the popularity of the X-Men in the 90s, that would also be a pretty cool reason to set it up that way. By then, some members could have come and gone, which would explain if the team is different after Apocalypse.

Within a new trilogy, I would like to see a movie with Mr. Sinister after Jean and Scott because that would be really awesome.
    I like that description. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well this Dark Phoenix movie is going to already have one thing over The Last Stand. Since that was back when the X-Men movies were "The Wolverine show, also sometimes featuring the X-Men" and had to juggle many more plots so the main focus of Dark Phoenix was like... subplot three and Logan took precident over much of Jean Grey's development. However with Hugh done and I doubt getting much even of the first class cast this is going to primarily focus likely on Jean and her struggles first foremost which is good as that is important for a Dark Phoenix storyline. Plus a lot of the more high sconcept X-Men storylines you couldn't do a decade ago (such as the phoenix force originating from Space) are more natural so that does give the edge to this movie.

However this does mean the film is likely going to reside mostly on Sophie Turner's shoulders. Who was... okay I guess in Apocalypse but nothing about her performance, even the ending went "oh yeah she should so get a movie next". I hope she steps up to this just like I heard her character Sansa does a lot on Game of Thrones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. the greenman

I agree, we don't have concentration on Wolverine to distract tgis story. It should be both Scott and Jean. I hope they bring in Mastermind, but doubt it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

On-top of not having to worry about giving Wolverine enough screentime, they'll also probably (or, rather, hopefully) not have to retread the same old story with Charles, Erik, and Raven this time around ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. the greenman

I don't think they will. We only heard from McAvoy, Turner, and Shipp returning so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rydberger

Rydberger New Member

OMG I did not know that there will be a new serie about X-Men! Can wait to watch it!

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I had a feeling this might happen at some point. I don't think they were ever going to give Paquin enough to do to where she would be willing to come back, or they want to just start fresh with the X-Men entirely :ack:..

If they do recast Rogue, I hope whoever they get is in a solid enough age range to where she could sensibly play off Tatum's Gambit :sweat:.

11. the greenman

Hmmm, I wonder if they're going so young based on X2 in Logan. Also, if true, they might really be keeping Chattum in mind for Gambit. This will be disappointing to us shippers for him and Rogue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it's built-in. The timeline is reset so it's possible Rogue now joins the X-Men at an earlier point in her life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

We should start counting down before the next original trilogy character ends up recast and de-aged for these movies :p.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Who's left - Sabretooth and Iceman? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, at least with Creed they've also got an excuse to keep Schreiber or Mane if they wanted to :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. the greenman

I don't want them to keep that version of Creed. He should have zero relation to Logan. And if we get a mid-30's age Logan for the sequel to "Dark Phoenix", we can get a youthful Creed as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't care if they recast Rogue, just please, please let her keep her flight and super strength (and her confident personality). I give the original film a pass because, you know, early 2000s. But now that Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel are getting films, there's no reason to give us a watered down Rogue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Heck, that's what Paquin kept asking for :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

I'd go with Schreiber. He was one of the good things about Origins: Wolverine.

But yes, it's likely the role of Sabretooth will be getting the Other Darrin treatment again.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. -Maverick-

-Maverick- New Member

With the timeline "reset", can't they pretty much re-cast everyone? Anyone introduced in DOFP and beyond are pretty much a given to return, but everyone else can clearly be re-cast, no?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1