1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Dark Phoenix" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Dec 12, 2015.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Oh great, now they're rushing that storyline too. Unless they concentrate the next three films on that arc, and we hear about FOX presenting the Shi'ar and recasting the Hellfire Club, I'm not impressed.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I have mixed feelings about it being the next arc. But they seem sincere about righting their past wrongs with Last Stand and the framework was set up in Apocalypse with Jean. If they do it right, doing Hellfire right this time, and introduce the space element to the X-Men movies finally with the Shi'ar -- I'm in. "Supernova" makes sense because that's what brought Jean to the Shi'ar's attention in the original comic arc if I'm not mistaken. If it ends with Uatu's commentary... :D

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

My real concern about doing the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix story is, can they do it without Wolverine? If yes; great, go for it. If no; that means they're faced with two possibilities. 1: try to write his parts out. We all know how successful Fox is at doing that. :shrug: 2: recasting him much sooner than they or the audience were hoping for (the hidden third option is getting Jackman back, but he's not likely to return and do you really think 20 y/o Sophie Turner would be down for that?)

4. the greenman

Correct. That seems like why we hear Marvel may have been mapping out what each Studio has. We can assume Marvel is pushing full on Cosmic. FOX needs to define what they have in terms of planets, characters, and such. Even if they relinquish Fantastic Four, they might negotiate guys like Kang. Who they CAN use in X-Men, but would be confused in that form as Apocalypse. I do hope they rectify what they did in X3.

EDIT: Kang appeared in FF as a time traveler, I thought X-Men.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, with Dark Phoenix, there's a laundry list of things I think they should do -- some that Apocalypse already accomplished and some Last Stand failed
    1. Skip Grey being possessed in space [DONE] She already has it in Apocalypse
    2. Show Grey's inner struggle with Phoenix [STARTED] Saw a little of it in Apocalypse
    3. Skip that weird Lady Grey 19th century noblewoman persona
    4. Maybe bring in Mister Sinister, perhaps as the Hellfire Club's financier or whatever, if Mastermind isn't enough in the eyes of the suits
    5. Use the part about the Ultimate Hellfire Club being tied to a cult of Phoenix, were spying on Jean were secretly financing Xavier's School -- create a conspiracy angle.
    6. No Wolverine. No Weapon X. No Stryker.
    7. Beef up the new cast instead, make Cyclops more important, etc.

6. the greenman

I actually think they should tease the new Logan in this film (Pulsar whatever) and introduce him the sequel to this next one. Yeah please drop Lady Grey, unless they make significant changes.

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I would be amiable to writing Mystique out. Something like she shifts from teacher to recruiter and uses her previous experience traveling aboard to help search for new potential students and bring them to the school -- pretty much like with Nightcrawler. That way it answers why she's not there at the school anymore.

8. the greenman

I do l Iike that. Cause I really want to see the Brotherhood return in a big way someday.

9. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't care too much for the Phoenix Saga it's overly dependent on the shock value of such a boring underpowered character turning bad that would have worked in the original trilogy because she had such a leading role in the first two Jean barely got any screentime in Apocalypse so I can not see it working.

10. the greenman

That's why I could envision them doing that entire arc as a trilogy. Especially with the outerspace facet of the story. Add in Corsair and the Starjammers adding more family drama than just Erik and Peter. Trust me the arc is enough to fill three films if done correctly.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

You could say the same about almost all the characters in Apocalypse...and that's what annoys me. If they have Psylocke turn good later...no emotional response. If they kill of Jubilee or Nightcrawler or even Storm...no one will care beyond their big fans. Heck, that's what happened with Havok.

IMO, the Phoenix Saga either needs to be an arc that lasts more than one film, or it has to do something different, because like you said, Jean turning evil won't be this "Oh my gosh" moment that it was in the comics. And if they have Cyclops get angsty about it, I'm not sure the audience would be able to sympathize all that much.

That said...I'll take Jean turning evil in the next film over Magneto turning evil again. :p

EDIT: I agree with basically everything The Greenman said, BTW. If you can't use Jean for good drama, the Starjammers could be a good place to start, as long as it's written well.

12. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

That's part of why I liked when Storm was in charge in the comics... No whiny "Jean is dead, I can't go on" Scott dragging the rest of the team down (even though he wasn't hesitant to jump in bed with the first redheaded clone to come knocking on the door).

13. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Apparently the X-Men: Supernova movie is set to begin filming in June 2017. There's also a description.

“Gathered together by Professor Charles Xavier to protect a world that fears and hates them, the X-Men had fought many battles, been on adventures that spanned galaxies, grappled enemies of limitless might, but none of this could prepare them for the most shocking struggle they would ever face. One of their own members, Jean Grey, has gained power beyond all comprehension, and that power has corrupted her absolutely! Now they must decide if the life of the woman they cherish is worth the existence of the entire universe!”

It sounds like the prequel movies will continue with Jean Grey's Dark Phoenix saga, likely connected to space. Hopefully this will allow us to see the X-Men at the end of Apocalypse Mystique was training in action.

Also, the new X-Men show is starting production with a working title similar to a recently cancelled series.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For the record, that description is apparently lifted from an actual trade paperback for the Dark Phoenix saga, so take it with a grain of salt.

16. the greenman

So if this getting started in May or June, who's directing it? Interesting we hear Singer returning to do a pilot, but not the next film. Unless, we hear some definite answers, especially involving outerspace, my enthusiasm is dying out. If they cram this storyline into one film, I could get .

17. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Better not be Brett Ratner...

18. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

So who would you like to see as members of the X-Men in X-Men Cease and Desist.

I'm personally hoping they get rid of the overpowered Quicksilver maybe bring back Banshee so we could have the original Phoenix saga line up minus Wolverine of course.

19. the greenman

So long as they can include Colossus and reboot the Hellfire Club.

20. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Stick Mystique back in the bad guy bag where she belongs and you can have anyone you want.