1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Dark Phoenix" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Dec 12, 2015.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Release Date: November 2, 2018

I actually hope Singer will properly adapt the Dark Phoenix Saga now, sense he dropped the ball on us since X2. I imagine the next trilogy can completely involve that now. Though I want the Morlocks and Mr. Sinister first.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

#1 the greenman, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

11/16: Sequel talk already. Rumor is filming in Montreal in 2017 with Singer back.

11/17: Unless, post-1983 to the mid-90s-ish will be the next trilogy and chock full of disaster level events worthy of three more movies. And Wolverine still isn't part of the X-Men until the 2000s like the original movie.

I'd definitely like to see them start using Shi'ar and aliens in an X-Men movie - could put the whole human-mutant debate in a new perspective, lol.

#2 Yojimbo, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  3. the greenman

12/12/15: Yes, I suspect they might have some rights problems though, as some of those characters debuted in non-X books. Too properly do the Dark Phoenix Saga though, they must go outerspace. One thing to consider, they should or could use Fantastic Four alien characters, while they still have the rights.

12/13:I don't expect (no pun intended) another prime team X-Men film for another 5 years after next year. Fox seems to be finally expanding out with Deadpool, New Mutants, Gambit, and possibly X-Force. So they will give these kids time to age, and I have no doubt if they do The Phoenix Saga, it'll be a fashoinable two-parter.

1/21/16: Kinberg suggests 'Dark Phoenix' could "possibly" be on the horizon:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/01/21/x-mens-dark-phoenix-saga-could-get-a-redo-in-the-movies

4/16: El Mayimbe suggests the next X-Men followup will be based on 'The Dark Phoenix Saga':

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Next-X-Men-Movie-May-About-Epic-Storyline-125167.html

I think it's way way too early for that, but I wouldn't put it pass the Studio to try.

#3 the greenman, Apr 17, 2016
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

5/9: http://www.newsarama.com/29184-next-x-men-film-confirmed-to-be-set-in-the-90-s.html

Kingberg confirms that the next X-Men movie will be set in the 90's :cool:.

Which, given how iconic and important that era was for the franchise, I'm really interested to see what they do in that period :).

5/13: http://comicbook.com/2016/05/13/the-next-x-men-movie-may-go-to-outer-space/

There's been talk of doing an X-Men movie set in space :cool:.

I mean, if you've got the Shi'ar, the Skrulls, the Brood, the Phalanx and the Badoon, you may as well use them ;).

#4 Frontier, May 13, 2016
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Phew! Glad to read that's on their minds to utilize down the line.

6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I must say, I'm excited for that. Singer previously showed interest in re-doing the Phoenix saga, and if he meant it, I think there's a good chance we'd get the Shi'ar.

7. the greenman

Singer is doing a remake of '20k Leagues Under the Sea'. I expect he will do that and then his next X film in 2020. Hopefully a Dark Phoenix Saga two parter.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

At the Saturn Awards, Kinberg appears to tease the next X-men film.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, if they ever plan to do an accurate Dark Phoenix Saga adaption, you would kinda need the real Hellfire Club :sweat:.

10. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Apparently, Fox might be thinking about 'resetting' the X-Men film series. After Deadpool's big success and X-Men: Apocalypse's middling success, we've only heard news about Fox's next X-Men movie, Logan, and the sequel to Deadpool. A third Deadpool movie is already rumored to be a X-Force movie of sorts. Gambit might continue and The New Mutants movie still seems to be in the works. The X-Men series is the longest, most fruitful superhero film series to never have been rebooted. If Fox does reboot the X-Men, it will likely be without Marvel Studios, similar to Sony's Amazing Spider-Man series.

I'm not sure if this apparent reboot will keep Deadpool in continuity. Considering the character's nature, that would be quite easy to explain in the next movie itself. As for Gambit, the New Mutants, or a new film with James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Jennifer Lawrence (possibly), everything is up in the air as far as I can tell. This certainly reminds me of Sony after The Amazing Spider-Man 2 released.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, the franchise was already kind of rebooted with First Class/Days of Futures Past, so I'm not sure what could be gained from rebooting it to the umpteenth time. It's not like they've got Marvel backing them like Sony does now :shrug:.

Seems like a lot is riding on Logan and Deadpool 2, at any rate...

And the poor FF are just forgotten about :(.

12. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Even though I didn't care for Apocalypse, I did like the idea that the next film could deal with the fallout of the Phoenix, and maybe even have the Shi'ar appear, since these were topics the films hadn't covered (or at least hadn't covered well). If they do a reboot, all I ask is that Magneto not be the antagonist in the first film.

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope they at least keep the young X-Men from Apocalypse going forward, since I thought they all did a solid job with the material they were given (even if it was every little compared to some the other members of the cast) :).

Though we are getting the classic roster for New Mutants, as far as we're aware, so who knows when we'll next see that team again :sweat:.

14. the greenman

15. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Supernova? o_O

Is Singer behind this one? Because I really don't need to see the Phoenix deal again and I'm only willing to give him a shot at it out of courtesy.

16. the greenman

We don't know. Last reports said he wouldn't but would still be involved. Here's hoping FOX chooses their next director wisely.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

17. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Considering the lack of any news of Supernova beforehand I'm guessing it will have a rushed script and be a complete train wreck.

Although I can't help but wonder if both movies will happen around the same time and manage to find a way to snuff Jubilee out of both of them.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Now I'm confused... but if both movies took place at the same time just from the POV of different teams -- it might be cool

Does inform the two really close slots of March 2 and June 29, 2018. November 2 is still out there. But man, 3 X movies in one year. I don't know... seems more like Deadpool 2 would be for February 14, 2019.

19. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I just found out Supernova is actually the name of a villain that first showed in Avengers during one of its terrible runs wonder.

From henceforth I shall refer to the movie as X-Men Cease and Desist.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator