1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"X-Men: Apocalypse" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, May 26, 2016.

?

"X-Men: Apocalypse" - Rate the movie and share your thoughts!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

33.3%
  4. ***1/2

16.7%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Everything they built will fall.

[​IMG]

X-Men: Apocalypse
    Release date:
    May 27, 2016 (May 26 early showings)
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Director: Bryan Singer
    Screenwriter: Simon Kinberg
    Starring:James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Oscar Isaac, Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner, Olivia Munn, Lucas Till, Evan Peters, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Alexandra Shipp, Josh Helman, Lana Condor, Ben Hardy, Hugh Jackman

Plot Summary: Following the critically acclaimed global smash hit X-Men: Days of Future Past, director Bryan Singer returns with X-Men: Apocalypse. Since the dawn of civilization, he was worshipped as a god. Apocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel’s X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto (Michael Fassbender), to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) with the help of Professor X (James McAvoy) must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.

Discuss X-Men: Apocalypse right here! Share your thoughts and opinions on the movie!

Related Threads:

-Deadpool Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: Days of Future Past Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Wolverine Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: First Class Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men Origins: Wolverine Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: The Last Stand Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X2: X-Men United Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men "Age of Apocalypse" Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: The Animated Series "Beyond Good and Evil" Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: The Animated Series "Time Fugitives" Talkback (Spoilers)
    -X-Men: The Animated Series "Come the Apocalypse" Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, so please keep your posts as thoughtful, relevant and insightful as possible. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Most importantly, please keep discussions ON-TOPIC!

2. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

I've watch it last week. I'll do a non spoiler review. Later on I'll do a full spoiler review.

So, don't take too much into consideration what the critics are saying. This is a good movie. One of the best from the X-Men franchise. It's even better than Days of Future Past (in my opinion). This movie doesn't deserve the Rotten Tomatoes score it received.

But you have to take into consideration that there's nothing too innovative in this movie. It's a straightforward Super hero adventure, although a very well done one.

There are a lot of characters, and they are well balanced. The most important ones are given time to shine, and they take their time to explore their motivations. It's just that there's a lot of characters and in the end, you leave the movie wanting to know more about them (Which is actually a good thing in my opinion). But the movie has a sense of closure and it is resolved entirely on its run.

Cyclops, Jean, Storm and Nightcrawler got their time and they worked very well. I'm looking forward to their next adventure as the proper first X-Men team.

Some of you will be disappointed that some characters don't get any character development at all. But that was to be expected, comparing to the previous X-Men movies, so it didn't bothered me too much.

Some of you maybe will be disappointed with Apocalypse. He is not the imposing figure we used to know from comics and cartoons. But it worked OK. He is used more like a plot device to see how the other characters would react to his machinations. I've always thought, personally, that Apocalypse is not that interesting villain, because sometimes he is too unidimensional, with his motivation only being to ensure the Survival of the Fittest. Of course there are ways to make him be more interesting, but they didn't manage to do it here. But nevertheless, he is portrayed in a good way, and his Egyptian origins were done very well.

In the end, this is a tale about how the first proper X-Men team was formed to deal with the Apocalypse threat and they managed to do it very well. Let's see what will happen in the future sequels. I'm personally hoping they will finally adapt the Savage Land to the silver screen.

8/10.

3. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

So it's not a bad movie - but it won't be as noteworthy as Captain America: Civil War. Dangit! Ugh... RT, IMDB, all their ilk - FORGET THEM!

I'm still gonna watch it (And if it's good enough, add it to my DVD collection, regardless!), regardless, if only because I know it will at least be good enough for me.

4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I agree with Young Justice, this is really just a good time at the movies. The action adventure was top notch. While CA: Civil War had more heart, this was not gearing for that. Although Marvel could stand to take notes on Fox's use of villian Magneto. New characters like the other horsemen were almost canon fodder.

They did a good job establishing and fleshing out Storm, and I was very happy she had an accent. Psylocke was one of the most comic accurate looking characters in the film, and performed well, except we got little to no dialogue. Understandable, she was eye candy for me. Angel was disappointing.

Apocalypse was just okay, but I went into it unimpressed anyways. I wasn't expecting much from the new kids, but I am impressed with both Scott and Jean (as well as Kurt). The Quicksilver scene was more of the same. Sorry, but as much as I was hyped to see a little Weapon X action, I wouldve prefered we didn't. They couldve saved this little scene as a flashback in Wolvie 3. The post cred scene also seemed a little forced. All in all, I enjoyed the film, not sure where I rank it in the series, but right now seems like a typical X film.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately,I found this film to be very, very disappointing. I'm a HUGE fan of the 90s cartoon (seen it like 12 times) and I LOVE the Claremont comic run. My expectations were very high, which actually may have been my mistake.

There were some great scenes, though. Quicksilver steals the movie not once, but twice this time. Best character in the film.

Scott and Jean (gasp!) finally get some chemistry!

Fassbender is amazing as Magneto, and his character arc is the best in the film. Mostly. More on that later.

Wolverine may have gotten the best scene.

The rest? I'm a huge fan of Psylocke and Jubilee, and I was stoked to see Storm again. But...they do NOTHING. Storm was seemingly getting her own character arc...and it's dropped the second she joins Apocalypse. Angel and Psylocke both have under ten lines, and they have the personality of a rug. Man, why does Fox always do this to the supporting characters?

Magneto, while he has the best character arc, also has the most cliched one. The moment the wife appeared, I knew she was dead meat. And I knew he would betray Apocalypse a mile away, and yet the scene wasn't as cool as it could have been. Also, his character arc was recycled from the last two films...

Speaking of, I thought the climax was atrocious. The individual fights were surprisingly lame, and the final fight? Oh boy, I was expecting a huge battle, but instead of rushing him, they attack him one by one. And why was no one helping when he was choking Mystique? And why did Jean take so long to help Charles? They mostly stood there with their mouths hanging open. Also, while it was cool seeing Phoenix, one-shotting Apocalypse was very unsatisfying, cinematicaly. I only pray that the eventual Darkseid and Thanos fights are much more epic.

So, yeah, this was my second most awaited CBM of the year, and I ended up preferring BvS/ Just, please, give Storm and Psylocke bigger roles next time, and please, give us an epic climax next time. Ugh.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

My spoiler thoughts on this movie.

7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

My question on the post cred scene:

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

8. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

I saw this earlier today and it was unfortunately pretty bad. Definitely the weakest Marvel movie of the year and one of the worst of X-Men franchise (only marginally better than X3 and Origins: Wolverine).

The story has no arc, theme or even red thread. Things simply happen, characters move from one location to another and sometimes fight someone. The biggest achievement of the movie was the origin of Xavier's baldness. Almost every scene has at least something small, but stupid taking you out of the immersion. For example, characters not aging between movies is downright laughable. In-universe, there's 20 years long gap between this movie and First Class, but everyone looks, at most, only 5 years older (because that's how long the gap is in real-life). There's also completely pointless scene that takes 20 minutes, that only serves the purpose of shoehorning Hugh Jackman to the movie for few seconds, and could have been easily cut out.

The action scenes are pretty much what we have seen before in movies like this. Nothing really notable one way or another. The movie is clearly trying to hide the lack of substance with spectacle. The remix of Quicksilver's big moments from the last movie is visually cool, but really is only there to try to recapture the wow factor of the last time. They also make Jean Grey, Magneto and aforementioned Quicksilver so overporwered that realistically no villain from X-Men canon can be threat to them in future movies.

Overall the effects are fine, but there were few scenes where CGI looked really cartoon-y and as a whole the final fight was a failure. The fight takes place in large city, but we see civilians in danger only for brief second and we never see heroes helping them out. There's a clear envy for MCU's climaxes going on, but they don't seem to know what makes them so great.

With this framework, characters worked only 50-50.

Michael Fassbender still rules as Magneto and I would even go as far as to say that he has surpassed Ian McKellen. James McAvoy is also proficient as Xavier.

Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner and Kodi Smit-McPhee are fine as their respective characters, but don't get much room to get fully in to their roles.

Evan Peters is still entertaining, but the character is still very one-dimensional and I still refuse to believe that people find him better Quicksilver than Aaron Taylor-Johnson (don't let one cool action scene blind you!).

Olivia Munn, Alexandra Shipp and Ben Hardy get no personality out of their roles and the script isn't helping them at all.

Josh Helman is still the worst and least intimidating Stryker to date.

Jennifer Lawrence sadly seems to go most of the scenes on autopilot and it's pretty easy believe the rumors that she doesn't like making these movies. It really hurts me to say this, since I really liked her in Hunger Games movies and previous two X-Men movies.

The biggest blunder is the big bad himself, Apocalypse, who is pretty on a par with Malekith from MCU. Just your basic Evil von Evilton who plans to destroy the World. Oscar Isaac valiantly tries to be menacing through all the heavy make-up and silly sounding voice modulation, but he has nothing to work with. The character's powers are also very vague and it seems like that he has the power to do anything that plot requires him to do. Granted, this has been a problem with the character even in the comics, but a movie version should be able to cut out the parts of the source material that don't work and come-up with something more effective.

I could easily list even more problems, but that would take all night. I think that it is about time to throw away our nostalgia goggles and let go of our brand loyalty for X-Men movies.

X-Men and X2 were important stepping stones in the evolution of superhero movies, but are getting stomped by better movies of the genre and haven't aged gracefully.
    X3 and Origins are some of the worst comic book movies of the 2000's, while The Wolverine has no idea about its identity or tone.
    Days of Future Past is one of the most lazily written and plot hole ridden movies that I have ever seen.
    First Class is the only truly great X-Men movie and only movie in the franchise that I would place amongst the best of the genre.

I'm not saying that the rights should revert back to Marvel. I'm saying that Brian Singer and Simon Kinberg should be kicked out and replaced by new blood that has true vision and passion for the World of X-Men.

#8 Freddy, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  9. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I wrote this about the DCTVU a few weeks back, and it applies here. Simon (Next of) Kinberg is writing for casual fans, not for the X-franchise's core fans. Not only that, but after green-lighting Josh Trank's FF farce last year, this man doesn't have clue one about the franchise at all.

The only part of Storm's origin he got right was being a thief in Cairo. Problem was, in Giant-Size X-Men 1, 41 years ago, it was Xavier who found a pre-teen Storm, but for purposes of plot, it was Apocalypse. Psylocke doesn't get to say much, and is woefully misplaced. X-fans know that in the books, she was the twin sister of Brian Braddock (Capt. Britain), until her body was switched with the villain Revanche.

Of course, the real paradox is the fact that in the context of this trilogy, Beast was already at Xavier's before the other original members (And there's no Iceman this time). Angel was miscast and misused, as if Kinberg and friends didn't know what to do with him other than send him on his way to becoming Archangel, as he was in the books. Apocalypse did get his hands on him then, too.

Having not seen the first two films in this series, I have to say I'm impressed with Michael Fassbender as Erik. Poor guy tries to start a new life, but a random act of heroism outs his true ID, and the turmoil starts anew. James McAvoy was great as Xavier (I've rarely seen Xavier with hair in the books that I can recall, but how he loses said hair was a mistake). The bit with Quicksilver was hilarious. That's all I can say.

10. Young Justice

I think X1 and X2 didn't age well only in terms of production. They were low budget movies back them, and look like now if they were episodes of the Heroes series. But in terms of story, characterization, plot, balance between characters, and even casting they were very good. My only grip with them is that they tried to make Wolverine look cool by making Cyclops look uncool, which I think it was a huge mistake. Both characters were way better than that and didn't deserve it. Cyclops and Wolverine rivalry was mandatory in the first movie, but it would be much better if they ending up as respecting each other in the final of the 1st movie. It kind of happened in the end of the 2nd movie, but Cyclops was hammered too hard as a bad character by then. And of course, during those 2 movies, the franchise became, gradually from X-Men to Wolverine and his friends, which hit its climax in X3.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's an article on some of the trivia. I totally missed the Morlock nod. Hmm, two movies in a row with a Morlock in it...

12. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

That might be because they, I thnk, had broken Caliban away from the Morlocks. Then again, I'm only guessing because I stopped reading the X-books some time ago.

13. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I loved it. Is it my favorite? Well...I like all three of the "revamped" X-Men films about equally. But yeah, I probably enjoyed "Days of Future Past" the most, out of the three.

Apocalypse was pretty much just a plot device, not a character, but I'm okay with that. Magneto, Quicksilver, Mystique, and Professor X, THOSE were the stars of this movie.

Also, the scene with Wolverine, I was just in love. I sat there open mouthed in the theater, enjoying the fanboy ecstasy - that was a super faithful (though super condensed) adaption of the "Weapon X" storyline from the comics.

Still, the revisions to the timeline remain what I'm most interested in. I have questions, like:

1. Is the encounter with Apocalypse how Professor X lost his hair in the original timeline? Did they even encounter "Apocalypse" in the original timeline? Either way, Professor X really aged poorly, from 1983 to 2000 (when the events of "X-Men" occurred).

2. Is that really the same "Angel" that was a kid in "X-Men: The Last Stand"? I'm taking it to be a different one (especially considering this version died in "X-Men: Apocalypse").

3. This movie seems to confirm "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" has been completely erased. The main part of that movie is set in the late 70's or early 80's. In that movie, Wolverine originally met Stryker around the end of the Vietnam War (in the early 70's). Wolverine looses his memory for the first time at the end of that film. However, at the end of "Days of Future Past" (set in 1973), Wolverine is captured by what appears to be the military (but it's Mystique posing as Stryker). So unless Mystique helped Wolverine escape the military (thus somehow allowing "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" to occur), in the new timeline, Wolverine's memory loss is due to years of torture and brainwashing in the hands of the military. And they slapped adamantium on his bones, just like in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", it's just that this time, they didn't have a cool scene where Wolverine escapes.

4. The main events of "X-Men: The Last Stand" was released in 2006. The opening scene of "The Last Stand" (wherein a younger Professor X and Magneto go and recruit a very young Jean Grey) occurs "20 years earlier". So that'd be 1986. Jean Grey looked about 11 or 12 years old there. Definitely didn't look like the 16 or 17 year old that we saw in "X-Men: Apocalypse" (which is set in 1983).

But maybe "X-Men: The Last Stand" didn't occur in 2006? Cyclops is still in deep mourning for Jean, at the start of "The Last Stand", and "X2" occurred in 2003. So...maybe it's not 3 years later (in 2006)? Maybe it's just a few short months? But if Jean is 16 or 17 years old in 1983, then she still would've been recruited around age 12 or 13 around...1979 or 1980. And Magneto would not have been teaming up with Professor X when they recruited Jean, instead Magneto would be in hiding in Poland.

5. Also, what year was it in that last scene at the end of "X-Men: Days of Future Past"? (the scene where everything was "happily ever after"?) Was that 2013? 2014? 2023? I've heard the "Dark future" scenes were set in 2023. If that was the case, Magneto was over 90 years old, by 2023...

If Cyclops and Jean Grey are 16 years old in 1983, then in 2000, when "X-Men" occurred, they were 33 years old. So by 2013, they were...46 years old. And if that scene occurred in 2023, then they were 56 years old. They aged well, if that's the case.

Ah, timeline questions. They're fun, but give you headaches.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

The original X-Men trilogy took place in "not too distant future", so Jean Grey being so much older here than in The Last Stand makes even less sense.

15. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

It wasn't bad, but I liked Captain America: Civil War more, honestly. Oh, well.

Someday, though - I would like to see this franchise in better hands. Marvel does need to fight for those rights, that's for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Young Justice

There's the question that Alex Summers aged too little in 20 years (Xavier and Erik as well). If Alex had 16 in First Class (as you are assuming Scott has in Apocalypse), he would have 36 years now. He is a brother of Scott but with 20 years of difference. Kind of odd.

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

It's FOX; continuity has never been there top priority. :p

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Let's ask Wade.
    [​IMG]

Yep.

6/25: Deadpool comments on the movie.

7/17: Home release info. Out September 9 digital, Blu-Ray and DVD on October 4. Preorder at the Fox booth at SDCC and you'll get a Dazzler vinyl cover.

Blu-ray special features will include
    *deleted and extended scenes (with optional introductions from director Bryan Singer),
    *a gag reel
    *a wrap party video
    *audio commentary by Singer and screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg
    *an extensive behind-the-scenes documentary
    *exclusive photo gallery.

19. WyvernWizard

WyvernWizard New Member

I completely agree with you.
    The movie does not deserve the negative reviews it has gotten from critics, I as well thought it was very well done, even if it was much more straightforward, but then again, after Days of Future Past, the movie needed that precise change of pace.
    I was also a bit disappointed that Apocalypse was not portrayed as a much more powerful and threatening villain than he has been in the comics and cartoon series, but I was also fine with it, it was still a good villain.
    I also liked Scott, Jean, and Nightcrawler, they had good chemistry together and they worked together quite well to defeat Apocalypse and rescue the other characters from Stryker.
    Weapon X cameo was also pretty cool.
    As always, Fassbender and McAvoy as Magneto and the Professor were great and they're friendship/enemyship has been well-developed since First Class.
    Overall, I liked it, sure, it wasn't perfect and maybe it wasn't as thought-provoking as First Class and Days of Future Past, but I still think it's a good addition to the series as the characters are mostly well-developed (Mostly, I'm looking at you Angel and Psylocke), they have great chemistry together, the stakes are once again very high and it has exciting action.

20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2