1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

X-Entertainment Advent Calendar Discussion

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/

Matt Caracappa's X-E Advent Calendar has become one of my favorite recent holiday traditions. I've been an X-E reader since his Captain N review all the way back in 2001, and in 2002 he began counting down the days to Christmas with special short articles, reviews, and stage shows starring children's toys. That last part isn't lame....the shows are extremely clever and gut-bustingly hilarious.

After a couple years, the toy show became the main attraction of the Advent Calendar, with a cast full of regular bizarre characters that only make sense if you've been reading from the beginning.

2002's Advent Calendar
    2003's
    2004's
    2005's
    2006's
    2007's
    2008's

2009's

2010's

2011's
    http://www.x-entertainment.com/adventcalendar/2011/december1/
    http://www.x-entertainment.com/adventcalendar/2011/december2/

If you've never read the Advent Calendar before, I both pity and envy you...the envy is because you actually get to read all these for the first time. But sheesh, hurry up. This year's Calendar is the best yet, with a simultaneous mystery involving creepy plastic bunnies that readers are given clues to solve.

If anyone here is an Advent Calendar reader, let's start a joyful discussion of Mares and Waiterbot and James Lipton.

#1 Peter Paltridge, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  2. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

No one else here reads these? This year was great! You missed a ton of fun.

3. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I pop into X-E every once in a while to see the new articles (I particularly enjoy Matt's reviews of past Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parades), but the Advent Calendar never really did much for me. One of these days, I'll sit down and check 'em all out, though.

4. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Yeah I agree with that. I've tried with sit down with the Advent Calendar but it just doesn't work for me.

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

It's almost time again, give or take a couple weeks. Man, I can't wait. I think I'm actually looking more forward to this than to the Real Ghostbusters set, and that cost me $200.

The best things in life, such as Waiterbot, are free. Plus, this is the only real thing Matt does with his site anymore. I miss him.

I'm going to try to drum up as much support around here as possible this time. I'll be as blunt and one-sided as possible about this: If you "can't get into" the Advent Calendar Groove then you need to get to the doctor's right away and have your brain looked at, because some synapse in there isn't firing correctly. The ongoing adventures of the Advent Calendar toys are hilarious and warmly Christmassy at once. There's nothing else quite like it online. If you don't read it you are MISSING OUT ON LIFE.

6. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

7. DarthGonzo

Anyone been following this all month?

It's driving me crazy. I really wish he'd update it. I figured he would have gotten back to it by now.

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

By my own theoretical estimation, the Point of No Return will be after the New Year has settled in, around January 4 or 5, when all possible motivation to do anything holiday-related will have disappeared. If he hasn't shown up by then, weep for the poor little figures.

9. DarthGonzo

Well he did update the blog tonight. Hinted at making things up to everyone.

So we'll see.

10. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Be sure to check out X-E's blog today. :cool:

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Okay, it's back again. I'm worried, though -- the precedent has been set; if he feels too lazy to complete this one too, he'll find it easier to up and quit than he would if he'd never done that before.

Also, there's no way to access the 2008 calendar. Except manually:

12. sdp

sdp miscrave

I've been wanting to check it out for three years now but it looks so unappealing, its only the positive feedback I read that gets me want to check it out. I think this year I'll finally start, not sure if I'll read all of them this year, maybe I'll save some for next year or maybe I just don't like them.

Well, many of his blog posts can count as the articles he used to write. though I do agree with you.

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Yay, he finished it this time!

Great year. I wish there had been more than two appearances from Man-Car, though.

Mare-y Christmas! Ham energy for all!

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

It will commence again soon, but Matt's getting back to basics this year and only taking 1 or 2 pictures per day. He confessed the Advent Calendar took a full eight hours per entry at its peak, which I have to admit is pretty insane.

I'm happy to get something rather than nothing, though.

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

http://www.x-entertainment.com/adventcalendar/2011/december1/
    http://www.x-entertainment.com/adventcalendar/2011/december2/

Aaaaaand it's dead. Matt only wrote two before delinking it a day later and announcing he didn't want to make them anymore. Said it felt more like something he "had" to do rather than "wanted" to do. From experience with Keiki's Huge Christmas Epic, I know how that feels (the difference being nobody read the Christmas Epic anyway). But nuts, I'm really gonna miss this.

Let's all visit the links one last time and have a good larf. As for me, I'm so hardcore I've already used a site-downloading tool to archive the entire thing onto a CD, in case it ever disappears. I still want a hardcover of the whole saga too.

But at least I discovered THIS to ease the pain:
    http://adventcalendar.decemberized.com/wiki.asp