"WWE NXT" Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Mar 8, 2011.

1. The Penguin

The Penguin Moderator of Fowl Play

Tonight season five of WWE NXT premieres and it promises to be "like nothing you've seen before." What does that mean?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #55 (#5.1) - Season Premiere
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

PREMIERE NIGHT
    Season five of WWE NXT begins tonight! Tune in for a season unlike anything you've ever seen before. Meet the NXT Rookies and their WWE Pros tonight at 10 ET/7 PT, only on NXT.WWE.COM!

Please remember that not everyone reads spoilers for taped programs and direct or side comments about WWE shows that have yet to air are not acceptable in this thread. Additionally, spoilers for shows that air after the show that is the subject of this thread do not belong here.

2. Azrayel

Azrayel New Member

I am really disappointed at what this season has to offer. I didn't really like the fact that Maryse was added as the co host or William Regal switching out Joh Matthews, but I'm sure I would have gotten used to it.

I did like the fact that it consisted of the rookies from seasons 1,2,4, but I'm not sure why Darren Young would be on there. He was already set on the Raw roster, if anyone from season 1 deserves to make a return it's Michael Tarver since "Management" got rid of him and we are not sure if he is on Raw or Smackdown. Conor O'Brian and Jacob Novak really shouldn't make a return. I would have had Derrick Bateman and Percy Watson replace them. Other than that and the "Redemeption" point system was the only thing I liked from this season.

The pros this season are terrible. The only one in my opinion that could be a pro is Chavo. Hornswoggle? Yeah the fact he is a pro confirms the fact I do not want to watch this season.

3. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Season 5 includes Conor O'Brien, Byron Saxton, and Lucky Cannon....It's as if WWE Creative somehow entered my nightmares and made them a reality. Pass.

4. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

No Derrick Bateman? No Percy Watson? No Michael Tarver? Hornswoggle as a pro?

Can Tough Enough just be here already?

5. The Penguin

With the rumors of next generation Superstars being paired with their famous fathers as Pros, returning Rookies was not what I expected. I do like the ‘Redemption’ theme to the season though. While I would like him to be a strong member of the active roster, I’m excited to see William Regal as the NXT color commentator. This show is well suited to having a ring veteran on the team and Josh could use a break after being on all six hours of programming the last few weeks. After the failure that was Ashley Valance, I like having Maryse on to sharing co-hosting duties with Matt Striker too.

Season five NXT Rookies & WWE Pros

“Thank you, Yoshi. Between you, Vladimir and Maryse I won’t understand a word this entire season.” :D

I liked how they introduced the Pros following the Rookies with each one (well, five of the six) having a piece of advice for their new charge. I normally do this when they are announced in the season finale, but let’s look at each Rookie (again)…

Darren Young: At first I was a bit upset to see Young, who has been a full member of the roster since he arrived with The Nexus, but he has been hidden on Superstars since he cost Barrett a match and was RKOed by Randy Orton so this may actually be good for him. He certainly shined on this night. Chavo Guerrero’s advice of ‘get noticed’ is probably a good one for him.

Conor O’Brian: I didn’t mind O’Brian last time, but I didn’t really feel like I needed to see him again either. I’ll talk more about it when it comes up in sequence, but I really liked his ‘in his own words’ video and it seems that the theme of Vladimir Kozlov’s ‘be yourself’ is what Conor will be about this season.

Lucky Cannon: Lucky turned on the fans when he was eliminated (and continued it on the season two finale), so this new attitude (also his new FCW character) is a nice continuation of the last time we saw him. That robe certainly makes a statement, but since he has to work to avoid tripping over it, it may not be the desired statement. Despite his questionable promo ability, I like Lucky, so I am happy to have him back. Tyson Kidd is a great fit for his new attitude and I believe Lucky has every intention of ‘taking what he wants.’

Byron Saxton: I don’t know that we have any more to see from Byron Saxton. Much like Conor O’Brian I didn’t mind him last time, but unlike O’Brian, I don’t believe he has another side to show us. I have a hard time seeing him taking Yoshi Tatsu’s advice about his previous ‘overconfidence’ to heart.

Jacob Novak: This guy is so memorable, I typed up my thoughts on the other five Rookies, (the following paragraphs on) my season favorite, the prize and Redemption Points before I realized I forgot him. Novak was the first one cut last season (the same night Ziggler called him “nothing but a blazer from Express”), but I found him to be incredibly bland (right down to his all white outfit) and I don’t want or need to see any more. The only thing I got from JTG was ‘no more distractions’ as Todd was right, “Vladimir Kozlov was easier to understand.”

Titus O’Neil: After being the first elimination in season two’s eight Rookie field, Titus O’Neil is back to make it a win. ;) We’ll see, but in this episode, O’Neil (two non-Irish guys with Irish names? Really?) seemed like a caricature of himself when he connected with Hornswoggle through the leprechaun’s barking. :shrug:

With the three less memorable Rookies from last season all included, I have to wonder if WWE just felt they didn’t have any other choices. Darren Young has been ‘out of sight, out of mind’ the longest with his fairly early removal from The Nexus, so they aren’t really any more season one choices. The only one the least bit possible would be the previously mentioned Michael Tarver, but he was on Mondays for quite a while. I can only assume WWE is already making plans for Percy Watson, otherwise he should definitely be on here (Eli Cottonwood, not so much). With especially Derrick Bateman missing, I’m convinced WWE is doubling down on a second look getting at least one of those guys over.

Getting onto NXT season six doesn’t sound like the greatest prize ever, but it could be good to get fans fully invested in one of these future Superstars as they have had a previous season, this season and the next season to really connect with them. I may be the only one, but I am a Darren Young fan from NXT season one, so he is my favorite here unless someone else really emerges during this season. With his being moved from the main roster for this, I have a feeling this could be his season.

‘Redemption Points’ vs. Immunity Points was kind of murky, but it sounds like a Survivor hidden immunity idol, you can use them if you feel you may be going home. Could be interesting I suppose. I wonder if this means we might get the actual WWE Universe vote totals and the fictional Pros Poll numbers this season?

Moving past the first segment, it was great to see Darren Young get the first win of the season over Jacob Novak. That was at least a variation on Young’s finisher, but with Todd & Regal focused on I think something that happened on RAW, the pin seemed to come out of nowhere.

I liked that Maryse kissing Yoshi is carrying over to NXT, but Byron Saxton slowed what little game his Pro has.

The RAW Rebound with the video version of Cena’s response was actually better than his actual response was. The video with his old theme just made it pop. I felt The Miz’s response lost something without the big pause between most of what he said and “…AWESOME!”

Conor O’Brian: in his own words
    I’m not inclined to go back and watch “Meet Conor O’Brian” from season four, but I was struck by how open and honest he was about himself and his life. I thought the rat thing worked for him to some extent, but he seems very ready to leave that behind.

NXT is making some changes, but it isn’t getting rid of the challenges with the Boot Camp Obstacle Course (nice costume change, Marsye) for “Redemption Points.” I feel like I’m supporting the challenges by saying this, but with the duffel bag at the end I missed the big crate. IIRC, Titus O’Neil picked up right where he left off in season two with his appearing to be athletic, but then posting the worst time in the challenge (29.8). I suppose he technically beat Lucky who declared that he “will not be a circus monkey” and then proceeded to hit on Maryse (poorly). After Novak’s 24.0 seemed like it would stand I was absolutely thrilled to see Darren Young race around the course and beat him by a full second! :)

Byron Saxton: in his own words
    Unlike O’Brian, I didn’t feel like I got to know Byron Saxton any better. Despite his looking back at how season four went, I didn’t really felt like he had learned anything.

I did not like seeing Hornswoggle push Lucky Cannon off the ropes to help Titus O’Neil to victory. WWE has struggled to come up with things for the leprechaun to do at least since DX and I do not look forward to seeing weeks of his trouble making. Too bad Titus saved his “Pro” from Tyson Kidd.

“Bearded child? What’s the matter with you?”

It may be a personal replacement for you, but if the arrival of Tough Enough was a definite sign that NXT was done, this season wouldn't exist. WWE may eventually decide they only want one, but NXT season five won't even be half over when Tough Enough premieres.

6. The Penguin

"WWE NXT" 3-15-11 Talkback (Spoilers)

NXT: Redemption continues tonight with six NXT Rookies returning to show to compete for a spot in season six. Season One's Darren Young is off to a strong start, earning 3 Redemption Points with his win in the Boot Camp Obstacle Course.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #56 (#5.2)
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

RAUCOUS RETURN
    Darren Young was one of six NXT Rookies who returned for Redemption on the season premiere of WWE NXT. The former Nexus member rocked the competition with big wins in his match and the NXT Rookie Challenge. Watch tonight on NXT.WWE.COM.

Please remember that not everyone reads spoilers for taped programs and direct or side comments about WWE shows that have yet to air are not acceptable in this thread. Additionally, spoilers for shows that air after the show that is the subject of this thread do not belong here.

7. The Penguin

“I’m trying to think of something good to say, but I want to go up there and punch him in the mouth.”

I think William Regal spoke for the people when he assessed Jacob Novak’s (let’s say) attempt to “talk the talk.” If he wasn’t so bland, Dolph Ziggler would have been a good Pro for what you would assume his personality would be if he had one, but JTG’s influence is not helping.

Regal’s “Wonders never cease” sums up Titus O’Neil winning for recounting his conversation with Hornswoggle. Darren Young hanging with the universe was decent and got a decent reaction, but when it comes to the NXT Rookies, the crowd doesn’t like being pandered to. O’Brian and Saxton were fine and Lucky fit his character pretty well.

In Titus O'Neil’s video I was just baffled by him saying he wasn’t being himself last time. He seemed to be very real with what he had to say and the only difference I’ve noticed so far this season is he’s barking more and is more over the top silly.

Very happy to see Darren Young get another win with a different move. Not a good outing for Conor O’Brian obviously.

I think Maryse is a bit intrigued by Yoshi Tatsu. Lucky Cannon, not so much.

Jacob Novak is very focused on his distractions from last season. What he should be focused on is what Dolph Ziggler said to him. I bring up the “nothing but a blazer from Express” comment because I think it’s hilarious, but the real comment to focus on is one that is not edited out in these replays, “You don’t have it!” (Side note: the background music here was Gregory Helms’ first theme song when he went off on his own (before “It’s Time”).)

Lucky Cannon & Tyson Kidd got the win (nice follow-up to backstage), but not in the way the Pro Tyson Kidd would have envisioned. Tyson fits Lucky’s personality very well, I would much rather they get along. I didn’t think Saxton & Yoshi would get along, but despite the losing effort and what happened last week with Maryse, they seem to be united.

Well, at least they themed the Keg Carry around St. Patrick’s Day. :shrug: The story of Titus O’Neil’s last experience with the keg was great. JTG trying to get a chant going for Novak was laughable. Also laughable, Novak turning in the worst time of those who competed. Speaking of laughable, Lucky Cannon doesn’t seem to be much better as heel when it comes to talking. It seemed okay for him last week and even earlier in this episode, but his poem for Maryse that resulted in his being slapped could have easily been for how poorly he delivered it rather than coming onto Maryse.

8. The Penguin

3-22-11

By unpopular demand, we are switching NXT to season threads. Discuss tonight's episode of NXT (and season five as it unfolds) right here!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #57 (#5.3)
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

DOMINANT RETURN
    Titus O'Neil earned five Redemption points, winning both the Keg Carry and the Talk the Talk Challenges. Will the returning NXT Rookie's hot streak continue? Tune in for week three of WWE NXT season five competition, only on NXT.WWE.COM!

9. The Penguin

3-29-11

It's week two for our NXT season five thread. I didn't get to commenting on this last one and will soon.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #58 (#5.4)
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

Best of Luck
    Lucky Cannon has been tormenting fellow returning NXT Rookie, Byron Saxton, for weeks on WWE NXT Redemption. Will the usually confident Saxton finally gain retribution against his cocky competitor?

10. The Penguin

March 22, 2011 & March 29, 2011

Anyone at all for NXT then? The season format causes us to lose the polls when they start, but I don’t want to give up on this show here on tz.

March 22, 2011
    “Are there any real winners in this competition?”
    “Absolutely none, no.”

That exchange sums up the ‘Battle of the Mic’ Challenge (aka Diss the Diva) really well. I don’t even care to get into it anymore, but they were all horrible. At least Darren Young won by sucking the least in the finals.

WWE does this all the time, but I was disappointed to hear Kaval’s theme song at the climax of the Key Carry recap. :(

Titus O’Neil has two wins at this point and both of them give an assist to Hornswoggle. Not thrilled with that.

Lucky Cannon was given a lot to do with his “meet” video the slap fest he was involved in backstage and then the win over Saxton in the main event.

I don’t even want to talk about the dance off.

March 29, 2011
    Good to see Jacob Novak add some color with the gold trunks and black pads. I don’t think it is going to actually help him be less bland, but at least he looks less bland.

With his power, it’s not a surprise to see Titus O’Neil win the arm wrestling challenge.

I was very disappointed with Darren Young’s new “meet” video. Unlike most of the others, I didn’t feel like I got to know him any better. He didn’t reflect on his time with The Nexus or anything. If you strung everything together he probably said about two sentences.

The six-Rookie tag was fine. Titus stayed undefeated despite Hornswoggle being on the stage. With limited time, at least they involved all the Rookies

With the whole one TV taping, there was a ridiculous amount of filler here. I didn’t skip anything, but I could have probably watched the NXT content in 20 minutes.

11. The Penguin

4-5-11

In the shadow of WrestleMania XXVII, NXT: Redemption continues.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #59 (#5.5)
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

Is Titus Unstoppable?
    Titus O'Neil is on a hot streak in his quest for Redemption on WWE NXT. Will his undefeated streak and challenge lead expand? Find out tonight at 10/9 CT on NXT.WWE.COM!

12. The Penguin

4-12-11

Anyone out there at all? I will need to do a double check-in again.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #60 (#5.6)
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

Ultimatum Time
    On WWE NXT, host Maryse was told by her boyfriend, Ted DiBiase, that she must pick him or the show. Is the beautiful and witty Diva's Tuesday night fun over?

13. The Penguin

4-19-11

Okay, so I am planning to get caught up here, but I welcome you all to join me as six NXT Rookies continues towards Redemption.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #61 (#5.7)
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

Undefeated Titan
    Titus O'Neil leads the NXT Rookies with 13 Redemption points and has a perfect win/loss record. Can anyone stop Hornswoggle's protege?

14. The Penguin

So is there just no one for NXT at all? I would love to see some love here. :sad:

Having fallen behind, I am going to look at where each Rookie is after the last three weeks and then hopefully return to episode comments. In theme song order...

Darren Young: Much like his Pro Chavo, Young has gotten off track after getting into it with Hornswoggle. He started off really strong, but hasn't done much the last few weeks as he gets in further with the leprechaun (and Chavo didn't help last week with how much tougher he made things for his Rookie). Plus it has made him a heel and early on, I was looking for him to really win over the WWE Universe with this new opportunity.

Lucky Cannon: His promos aren't that much better, but I think Lucky further establishes his new attitude each and every week. I don't know if he will eventually win over Maryse, but I think he's improving which is part of the idea of this show. That robe thing still looks like it is too big for him.

Byron Saxton: As his Pro Yoshi moves more and more to the forefront with his flirtation with Maryse, his Rookie moves further and further into the background. The most notable thing Saxton does now is show up at inopportune times for Yoshi

Conor O'Brian: I don't feel like Conor has much going on either. He's getting some wins, but his expression and new t-shirt seem to be the extent of his new attitude. I have lower expectations of his future now than I did last season.

Jacob Novak: I don't even know what to say. JTG has him dressing like an idiot and he's picking a fight with one of the commentators. If William Regal actually steps into the ring with Novak he should embarrass him.

Titus O'Neil: Young is getting the negative side of Hornswoggle, but Titus is getting the positive side. I never expected the "make it a win" guy to be as popular as he appears to becoming, but the audience is really responding to him. Amazing.

Other thoughts:
    I continue to really like William Regal at the broadcast table. He is still strong in the ring, but I hope this keeps him around WWE for a very long time.

Overall, I have liked having this whole thing with Maryse play out on NXT with the inclusion of Ted DiBiase; it made it seem more significant with even a minor story from RAW/Superstars crossing over.

Last week's Pull Through Challenge was horrid. The joust we normally see on that inflatable you would rent for your school carnival has never gone well and doing a mini tug of war on it was an even worse idea.

15. The Penguin

4-26-11

More NXT, right now!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #62 (#5.8)
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

Testing Boundaries
    William Regal has been the target of Jacob Novak in recent weeks. What does this NXT Rookie have against the in-ring veteran and WWE NXT Redemption announcer?

16. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

I been watching NXT the last few weeks is Maryse a face or heel , But when I watch Superstars they play her as a heel.

17. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

You might not like this answer, but both is probably more accurate. Maryse is a heel using NXT as her toy. She's teasing the various Superstars while caring about the rookies in no fashion. She only wishes to become more popular and show her looks with NXT. Because of tatsu and other rookies flirting with her, it is making her more of a face on NXT, but she still continues to show that heel attitude with her attitude towards the actual trainers and rookies themselves.

18. The Penguin

April 26, 2011

I'm going out of order, but I want to keep up on at least one WWE show...

'How well do you know your Pro?' or whatever they are calling it now was nothing too special. At least there has been only one challenge an episode lately. No wonder Bateman & Bryan cheated last season, booker or not, this one is impossible.

At this rate, Darren Young is never going to win again. At this rate he is also not going to face anyone except for O'Neil, Hornswoggle and maybe Chavo the rest of the season.

Jacob Novak trying to make a name for himself against William Regal is one of the more interesting things this season and I don't think it's all that interesting. I more enjoy the digs Regal is taking at JTG, calling him a waste of space.

I liked Byron Saxton calling Yoshi on caring more about impressing Maryse than being his Pro. It certainly seems to be true.

I'm not sure, but I think Maryse looked impressed with Lucky taking out Saxton after he took out his own Pro. Even though he's been a bit of a jerk, I think Lucky Cannon is more her speed than Yoshi Tatsu is.

Random comment: I really like Lucky's new boots. They just look sharp.

Semi-random comment: When are they going to eliminate someone? It seems like we have been going a while without even a poll. Maybe I don't remember how this season works, but they are eliminating people aren't they?

19. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Yes, but how soon is unknown. Each week they compete for Redemption Points. In the event of a tie for an elimination, the Redemption Points can be used to keep a NXT Rookie on the show.

20. The Penguin

5-3-11

Coming off of Extreme Rules, NXT season five rolls on.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    WWE NXT #63 (#5.9)
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 @ 10 p.m. ET/9 CT on WWE.com

Shocked by the Scorned
    Tired of being neglected by Yoshi Tatsu, Byron Saxton uncharacteristically assaulted his WWE Pro, who has been wrapped up in drama with Maryse and Lucky Cannon. Can the relationship between the NXT Rookie and the Japanese Superstar be salvaged?