1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

WWE Meets Jetsons

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Dudley, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Janet Waldo (Judy Jetson's original VA) is still alive.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

That doesn't mean that she's a lock for the role. Janet Waldo is 95, so it's not likely that she could still effectively voice a teenage girl. Heck, she was recast in the animated movie in favor of Tiffany, who was a popular singer at the time, and that was in 1980.

3. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Really? I thought she died years ago. It would be better to get Janet back than to replace her like they did in the 1990 Jestsons movie. I was watching that one recently and Tiffany's Judy voice didn't sound right at all. But still she is getting up in her years and she isn't as active in voice acting these days as June Foray is, but maybe Janet we'll be up to the task. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I did like Patrick Zimmerman as Elroy in the 1990 movie. He's been a good replacement for the late Daws Butler and is pretty spot on with the voice. Hopefully, they'll bring him back for this new movie.

Then there's Rosie. I'd vote for Tress MacNeile to voice her, since she does sort of sound like a robotic Wilma Flintstone.

Yeah. That's pretty much what I was saying except that the movie came out in 1990, not 1980. But it's not impossible since June Foray is 96 and she still voices her characters when she can. Plus Waldo came back to voice Judy after that movie, so like I said, we'll see what happens.

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

That was because of corporate synergy. Tiffany was a recording artist for MCA, then a sister company to Universal. As for Janet Waldo, she was at a convention a couple of years back where she demonstrated she can still pull off Judy at her advanced age.

5. Daffyfan2002

Then hopefully she'll return as Judy in this one. Heck, maybe we'll see a "Flintstones" movie where she'll reprise her role as Pearl Slaghoople. You never know.

Oh, while we're on this subject, what about Penny Singleton? Is she still around? Is it possible she can return as Jane Jetson. Just curious about that.

6. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Penny Singleton passed away in 2003.

Interesting as that idea may be, I'm thinking that Warner Brothers will likely hire an all new voice cast for this project.

7. Daffyfan2002

Yeah. That's what Warner Bros. usually does these days. Plus we don't have that many VAs left from the original series, but we do still have Waldo and Welker so we'll see.

8. BetterOurFuture

BetterOurFuture New Member

I'm excited and can't wait.

However I think you all missed the boat on one thing here. The Animation Guild didn't really break this in the slightest. News they were planning a WWE/Jetsons project broke on wrestling news sites about a week after the Flintstones one came out. And with that it was being planned for 2017.

Echoing how after the first Scooby one did well enough they greenlighted the sequel. The Flintstnes one was already in the works by then. So then they broke the Jetsons one after the success of the Flintstones one.

So by this logic, if Scooby Doo Wrestlemania 2 does well, they'll probably sign up for a fifth.

9. ClassicTVMan1981

How about with Blue Falcon & Dynomutt?

~Ben

10. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The crossover does sound a bit weird, but I look forward to it. Hopefully, we will get some more news Sonn. Plus, Warner Brothers had three crossover movies in 2015 (The Flintstones And WWE: Stone Age Smackdown, Tom And Jerry: Spy Quest, Scooby Doo And KISS: Rock And Rol Mystery), all of which I personally enjoyed despite their unusual premises.

I do wonder about the voice cast though. Jeff Bergman as George Jetson & Mr. Spacely is pretty much a given since he voiced the characters in The Jetsons Movie when their original actors died and has voiced them in commercials and shorts. I could see Scott Menville, Jason Marsden, or Eric Bauza as Elroy since they can pull off young voices quite faithfully. Either Frank Welker or Dee Bradley Baker could voice Astro. Given Janet Waldo's death (and she was already in her 90s anyways), Judy will definitely have a different actress (maybe Kari Wahlgren). As for Jane and Rosie, I could see Grey DeLisle Griffin voicing them. She's pretty much the go to actress for Warner Brothers (Daphne in Scooby Doo, Betty in The Flintstones, various female characters on Tom And Jerry and Looney Tunes), and her role as Stella on Miles From Tomorrowland proves she can also do robotic voices.

11. ClassicTVMan1981

Not anymore as of June 12... she was 96 when she died. Now who's going to take her place as Judy?

~Ben

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

What's Tiffany doing? They can get her to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Tiffany was last seen making a cheesy DTV horror movie that aired on SyFy a few years back opposite Debbie Gibson. Doubtful she'll be brought back. I'd nominate Danica McKellar (ex-The Wonder Years, Young Justice) as the new Judy.

14. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Can't believe this is the only sensible thing WB can come up with regarding the Flintstones and Jetsons - two trademark shows that deserve better.

15. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane A Hole in One.

What about Jonny Quest?

16. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Addressing only the Jetsons here to stay on topic since they already made a WWE crossover with the Flintstones. Flintstones and Jetsons used to be paired together ever since. Jonny Quest... aren't they making a live action film and that comic book? But sure, many WB owned animated properties deserve better. Definitely.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bat16

bat16 Member

Finally a trailer!!!!!

18. bat16

bat16 Member

19. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Um okay, WB Animation... is THIS gonna be a thing now?! Are you just gonna keep making Hannah-Barbara based movies with WrestleMania stars?!

No offense, it was cool when you did it with Scooby-Doo, but not with the Flinstones, and certainly no better with The Jetsons; and really, this is the first Jetsons animated film we get in a long time?!

Kids these days (wow I sound old) aren't going to be 100% familiar with the Jetsons, unless you plan on rebooting franchise and/or giving it a new tv show before you start making a movie.

Okay, I know it's too early to judge the project before it's due release, so let's get some positives out of the way--

I actually like the animation here, it's pretty fluent and vibrant and certainly a step up from how the Jetsons were previously animated 20 years back; and the voice acting sounds decent as well, I for one can instantly recognize Jeff Bergman and Grey Delisle as George and Jane, not sure about the Elroy and Judy, or Spacely though, although I'm certain that's Frank Welker as Astro.

And stupid a concept this might be, judging from the the latter half of the trailer, it looks like the Wrestlers themselves might actually be just as good as they were in the Scooby-Doo movies... key word being 'Looks' of course, again too early to judge.

Anyway, all that said, I'm still not looking forward to it. I might give it a fair chance, then I can judge whether the film is passable or not.

20. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy Should really write more

Seeing this really just makes me want a new Jetsons series, same with the Flintsones crossover they did.

As for the topic itself...okay. At this point why not go full absurd and make a Space Ghost crossover?