1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wulin Warriors

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by GlassCake, Apr 26, 2017.

1. GlassCake

GlassCake Member

If anyone what you get when you cross Sean Schemmel, a couple of corny jokes and some shady puppetry, you'll probably enjoy this image.

[​IMG]

Comments? I know it's a old show but hey. Check it out.

2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Intriguing. More please.

3. GlassCake

GlassCake Member

That's all I have. I was originally going to use it as a development piece in order to maybe co-op with HandMade Films on a possible revival. But since the site has sailed down, any chance is as dead as reality.

But any opinions on this model sheet?

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I don't know the characters this is based on, so I can't really say if it's on-model on not. What I can say is that the layout you used looks completely professional and totally credible. Which is a good thing.

Edit: For the record, I like the art too in and of itself. But again, I don't know the property this is based on. But your actual drawings are good.

5. GlassCake

GlassCake Member

The characters are based on a forgotten dub of a popular Taiwanese puppet show that briefly aired on Cartoon Network. I did use some stills from the eps as reference for the characters, but I was also planning on adding some original qualities to them. I was also thinking along the lines of Genndy Tartakovsky/Ken Mitchroney designs and character style when I did this. I was almost tempted to make it look like Three Delivery or Kappa Mikey since the same company made them, but I thought it would be better if it stood off on it's own. I drew all the characters one by one and compressed them together in Photoshop. Creator/exec producer Larry Schwarz himself liked it.

Here's a glimpse of an episode (I studied this the most when I drew them; mind have been because it was the first full ep I sat through when I watched it on AOL Kids). Be warned. Your ears and eyes will bleed:

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Yeah, a Japanese puppet show ain't exactly my thing but I did notice the Genndy influences immediately. Scarab has a similar facial structure to Samurai Jack.

7. GlassCake

GlassCake Member

Actually it's Taiwanese/Chinese. But a Japanese puppet show period butchered isn't anyones thing. The show would be good if it was animated. But sadly it wasn't the case. And to the recycling scenes get annoying. Scars character being played by a mute and serious puppet? Really?

For Scarab, I used Aku and The Shredder as influence in this design. The latter makes sense because Scottie Ray voices Scarab.