1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

WTF? Popeye in May?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Big-o, Apr 8, 2004.

1. RD!

RD! Never go see Dr. Acula

I'll PM you a list.

2. sl4

sl4 Still posting for some reason

If not being funny was a crime, then you'd be, uh, a criminal.

3. Artimus Gigan

Artimus Gigan Aeris Fries

When was I trying to be funny?

4. Roger Smith

Roger Smith Active Member

Popeye was always lame for me o_O
    they should put cow and chicken that was hell funny

5. Nelson

Nelson KrAzY KaT has been found

I personally think that it's an excellent programming decison to put "The Popeye Show" on Adult Swim, as there needs to be a slot to air uncut classic cartoons strictly aimed at adults.Everyone from cartoon fans to noted film historians, have said in the past that a classic showcase of cartoons SHOULD be on AS and I totally agree with them.

Cow And Chicken on AS? Oh please, that show sucks :rolleyes:

6. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

Personally, I think WS should add ToonHeads to Adult Swim.

- The Dork Knight

BTW - Nelson, if Heckle and Jeckel ran for office, who would be president, and vice-president? ;)

7. Fireswarm

Fireswarm Beware of Evil Tenchi

The Popeye Show

The Popeye show does fit Adult Swim, while the Ripping Friends doesn't. Plus I actually like the presentation The Popeye Show provides in information over the history of Popeye.

8. HappyTrain

HappyTrain A Bowel Movement in the Making

Popeye, was a good cartoon for it's time, but it'll surely stick out like a sore thumb in the Adult Swim lineup. It's not nearly the same kind of show as anything that has ever been aired on Adult Swim, besides the fact that it's a cartoon. Who cares about Popeye, anyway?

9. Killtacular

Killtacular the race wars had begun

It's Popeye's 75th freaking anniversary. People better care.

10. Tienshin

Tienshin LOL INTERNET >:'D

Not to pile on Happy Train, but Popeye enjoys a nice fan base of adults (carry overs from child hood days, and classic cartoon aficionados) that would tune in on a regular basis. Of course, if that isnt the case it will be off the air pronto, but overall it's an interesting experiment. Six nights a week is a lot of time to fill with programming.

#30 Tienshin, Apr 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2004
  11. Nik Jam

Nik Jam Playing the Angel

Actually, it was when Bebop was taken off because of Adult Swim Saturdays. and people complained because they were TV-G

Funny, that's why Popeye is coming back, Bebop is off.

12. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

I don't think it's the fact that Popeye has older animation that will turn off viewers. I think it's because the humor is too...well...cartoony...I thought the same thing about Lupin III. The humor was just way cartoony for me. The animation quality had nothing to do with it.

13. eyager

eyager Member

But Popeye IS an action show. Bluto gets beat up in final scene of every episode!

14. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

I think the real reason as to why people are complaining about Popeye's tenure on AS is the kid-friendly image it has. Some people still consider Popeye a kiddie program and not something that should be on AS.

I was shocked and confused when I learned that Popeye will be on AS. Now, I see that it could work. It's on at 1:30 am (not that many people would be up at 1:30 than, say, 12midnight) and it's WS' apology to classic animation fans for ASA replacing ToonHeads (which will also work on AS) on Saturdays.

15. JeffTMBG

JeffTMBG That's an annoying hotdog.

Bah. I really have nothing against classic animation on Adult Swim, but I think they'd have better luck with some sort of uncut Looney Tunes deal. Imagine seeing those "offensive" cartoons again, or scenes that have long been edited out. Considering they barely show the cartoons on tv anymore, and the fact that the LT brand is just about dead as far as marketing to kids is concerned, it isn't that far-fetched an idea.

16. Artimus Gigan

Prehaps this will cause AS to split into 3 catagories:

action, comedy, and classics

it could work...

17. CaptainRed

CaptainRed (^)< Honk!

Possibly one of the better ideas I've seen related to this.

As it stands, the addition of Popeye to the block will trigger annoying tantrums from the classic haters, and utter confusion in most others. The shouting and befuddlement will likely lead to a quick cancellation, and the disappearance of classic cartoons from even more of the network.

Giving the classics their own block(or at least category) lends them some more permanence. Furthermore, it allows for better targetted packaging. Can you see either the visual vocabulary or the cards working for popeye?

(Well, if they surprise me, and manage to make the cards work, I'll see. Despite all I've said, if I can I'll be watching.)

*honks hugs and whatever else*
    Cappy Red

18. Artimus Gigan

They could also use it to push Boomerrang considering it's the same Target Audiance. But that does not mean AS Classics is going to be Boomerang Jr. They could show Transformers G1, GIJOE(hey they've shown it at 1 am), or He-Man. To even out the block or to expand selection for rotation.

19. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

fair enough, it's one less slot for High score to appear on....

20. Nelson

Nelson KrAzY KaT has been found

A very good question my friend.

Heckle would be president, since he's from Brooklyn and Jeckle vice president since he is british. ;)