1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

WTF? Popeye in May?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Big-o, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Big-o

Big-o Member

Weren't The Popeye Show and Rocky and Bullwinkle just used as filler programming back after 9/11 when Cowboy Bebop was temporarilly taken off the air? Why would it be back on instead of like, Home Movies reruns?

Check the schedule.

(btw, I think my english lessons are "paying off", am I correct?)

and sorry about before, Knux Five. :sad:

2. CookieS

CookieS Active Member

Its called variety! I enjoy The Popeye Show, and I think the program works great in the Adult Swim demographic. Its intelligently written and gives viewers a look at the older cartoons. Home Movies is great, but I'm not opposed to a little change. With Adult Swim being on more often, the more change, the better.

3. Killtacular

Killtacular the race wars had begun

Plus it's not what's replacing Home Movies. Ripping Friends/Baby Blues is.

I really hope people are mature enough to handle it this time. The last time we had all sorts of under-18 bitchers who couldn't tolerate old animation of any kind.

4. Rikou

Rikou Mmrmph.

I didn't like Popeye when I was a child. I thought it was completely stupid and pointless, and not nearly as funny as watching Bugs Bunny sashay around in a dress.

Then again, I don't like Adult Swim much anymore, either. I guess I can tolerate an old cartoon as long as the new ones are good too.

5. PaQ

PaQ Believe it!

Looking at the schedule I don't see why people would care so much if Popeye is on AS or not. It's not like it's getting a good time slot, 1:30, the last show for the block, on Sunday nights. Taking Baby Blues spot in the block. And really it's something different.

6. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

hey, maybe they will re-dub it, kinda like, what it's called, Kung-Faux or somthing like that?!

That would be fun to watch

7. Killtacular

Killtacular the race wars had begun

That would be stupid.

8. Rabi~en~Rose

Rabi~en~Rose idolmaster

Popeye > You

sorry :(

I wish it were on before The Ripping Friends though :( [​IMG]

9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

As I mentioned in the April-May forum, there's two possible reasons for Popeye airing on Adult Swim this time around.

The first reason is that this WS's way of making things up to the fans of classic cartoons, as three hours worth of classic cartoons will be disapperaing next Saturday due to the Action block of Adult Swim.

The second reason is that it's a spot filler. With Home Movies and Mission Hill leaving the rotation for a while (although it would have been better to put Home Movies on weekdays) and CN supposedly losing the airing rights to Baby Blues, WS needed something (for now) to air at 1:30 AM that's not an action show. Hence, the Popeye show airing at that timeslot.

10. The Drizzle

The Drizzle BARRY! =(

*instead of

11. KarlOlson

KarlOlson Art Imitates Life
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Considering that CN's been losing it's animation heritage element as of late, I think it's nice that Lazzo is:

1. Reminding people of animation's roots, in particular adult animations roots (Popeye caused enough contriversy with the prudes of those days they made a very sarcastic short addressing the issue, and it's been run on the Popeye Show.)

2. Pandering not only to frat boy college students, but nerdy college students like myself who enjoy getting a History Channel view of animation. Classics presented in that context, are if anything, more adult-oriented then even the goriest episodes of Bebop and the most freudian episodes of FLCL.

3. Willing to experiment still. Boldness has always been WS' strong suit, but they always done it in baby steps. Should Popeye work, maybe the rerun could be replaced with a mix of intelligently presented classics and experimental animation in the vain of O'Canada (though with a more global focus. For example, Studio 4C in Japan has done a bunch of short form stuff that'd be awesome to see presented in the US, even at 3am.) Who knows where they can go from here, but it's nice to see Lazzo step up still (Popeye is bolder than even Rocky and Bullwinkle.) It also means Samples has yet to demographic the network to death.

12. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

IMO it's a good move and only rightfully fair given that ASA will take away Popeye's old Saturday night time slot.

13. Jaguar

Jaguar Cogito ergo doleum

Y'know for the first few hours after I heard this I thought it would probably be pretty...stupid, but now I think it'll be fine. Hey, it's already happened before, so why can't it happen again? Plus, I want to watch it just to hear that very mellowed-out-announcer voice saying, "Hello cartoon lovers."

14. Artimus Gigan

Artimus Gigan Aeris Fries

Classic Cartoons= Adult Audaince

It's nostalgia time

the move is certainly an interesting one

I can hear the announcer now:
    Remember how cartoons...used to be?

15. Cyber E.

Cyber E. Active Member

AS doesn't have an announcer.

o_o

16. Artimus Gigan