Would you like to see a N64 Classic and/or Gamecube Classic?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by SuperFan2024, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

We got the NES and NES classic editions, and we all know how popular they have been. Now, because most of the adults today who played on the N64 and Gamecube when they were kids, are now grown and are most likely in their 20-30s, i'm pretty sure that if N64 and Gamecube classics were made, they would soar in popularity.

What do you all think? What games would you all like on the N64 and/or Gamecube classics if they were made?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I would like to see them, but not for a few more years. The selling point of the NES and SNES Classic, as well as the Atari and Sega Flashback systems is that technology has evolved enough to the point where they can put between 20 and 100 games on the system, depending on the system. We'd be lucky to get five or ten games of either remake for either system unless we waited a few years or so for the processing technology to advance enough to give us a proper selection of games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Not if they're going to make them so scarce.

4. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

This.

I would like them, but not if they will be a pain to fine.

5. Storm Eagle

I'm grateful that I caught the Best Buy preorder, and that I was also able to preorder another one at GameStop, but the whole thing isn't right.

6. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

They are shipping more of the classic editions for the fans, so I have some hope that the N64 and Gamecube classics could possibly work out.

7. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

They did not do it on purpose!! >(

Sorry. I just had to let that out. IMHO (and I'm not saying it's you, Storm Eagle), the "artificial scarcity" claim is just more "Ninten-doomed" (or otherwise anti-Nintendo) talk, or at the very least, frustration from people who didn't get one themselves, etc. I mean, I wish I could have gotten one, but that doesn't mean I'm willing to blame Nintendo for it. These things happen sometimes, and Nintendo honestly didn't think there would be that many people who would be interested in getting one, but anyway...

Also in my opinion, we're more likely to see a Game Boy classic (possibly with games that were released both the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color), and a Game Boy Advance classic first. Besides, a Gamecube classic? That was the first Nintendo system to use discs instead of cartridges*. I get the feeling that wouldn't be so easy...

*In North America and Europe. In Japan, it was first stand-alone system to use discs.

8. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I'd kill for a Game Boy / Color / Advanced Classic. If we ever DO get one of those, I hope they make it so they can hook it up to the TV the way Super Game Boy used to work. My eyesight isn't so good anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Storm Eagle

Well Nintendo did say that they'd be putting out more SNES Classics than they did the NES Classic. It looks like they actually made good on that claim. I haven't heard many reports on people not being able to get one. Some stores seem to not get as many in stock though.

When the NES Classic got released, this one store was only able to satisfy two out of ninety preorders. Hopefully that didn't happen anywhere else with the SNES Classic.

Anyway, keep in mind that you're responding to a post I made two weeks before the SNES Classic came out. Before that, I was successful in catching Best Buy's preorder when it went live on their site, and I even got one in at a GameStop store. I was still hoping I wouldn't get stiffed, but fortunately, Best Buy was able to ship one out for me, and I picked one up at the GameStop where I preordered. I even scored a third at TRU on the day it was released.

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If they do a N64 Classic, I'd prefer Nintendo to strike all necessary deals with Microsoft so they can put some of Rare's games in there, most notably Diddy Kong Racing and the Banjos. Sounds far-fetched, but a couple of years ago no one expected Minecraft on a Nintendo system.

I agree we might a GB/GBC Classic first. Feels like a logical next step.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Between the two, an N64 Classic seems like the more logical next step. It follows in Nintendo's pattern of re-releasing cartridge-based titles on a standalone console, and since many of the first party titles have already been released on Wii and Wii U VC, there's less work for them to make an N64 Classic happen.

However, I think I'd rather have a GC Classic. Since Nintendo hasn't yet followed through with their idea of releasing GC games on the U and Switch, they'd be "new" titles as opposed to an N64 Classic, which would be a double-dip situation if you've bought the games on Wii/Wii VC. And if they could remaster them for a HD picture, the games would look amazing. Thirdly, I don't like booting up the Wii and dealing with those smaller discs, so it would be nice to have the games in a digital format.

Games I would love to see on a GC Classic:
    -1080 Avalanche: A huge improvement over 1080 Snowboarding, which honestly hasn't aged well.
    -F-Zero GX: Aka the best F-Zero game of all time.
    -Legend of Zelda Wind Waker: A no-brainer. Although I have yet to play it, believe it or not.
    -Metroid Prime: Like Wind Waker, a no-brainer.
    -Super Mario Sunshine: It's not as pure fun as Super Mario 64, and it has less visual variety, and the controls can be awkward at times, but it would still be great to have an upgraded version of this.
    -Super Smash Bros. Melee: I'm not really a big fan of the series, but it's still a good party game and used copies of the game are only increasing in price at this point, so why not?
    -Wave Race Blue Storm: Just picture those waterscapes in HD. Drool.

• Like Like x 1
    #11 SB20xx, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Wasn't Donkey Kong Country Rare? That was on the SNES Classic.

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

DKC was developed by Rare, but because it contained Nintendo characters it was likely granted an exception. Whereas Diddy Kong Racing (Diddy was a Rare creation) and Banjo were all Rare, so they had no such Nintendo property protections.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

When Rare went to Microsoft, Nintendo struck a deal that everything Rare created for Nintendo's existing IPs (i.e. characters for the DK franchise) remained with Nintendo, while the stuff they created for their own IPs became property of Microsoft. This is why Diddy Kong Racing can't be simply re-released without a proper agreement, since it has characters fully owned by Microsoft (most notably Banjo and Conker)

Lately Microsoft and Nintendo haven't been afraid of making deals. Minecraft is on Nintendo systems, Minecraft and Rocket League having crossplay between Nintendo Switch and XB1, and Donkey Kong 64 (which has the fully Microsoft-owned Jetpak) got released on Wii U. Rare games getting re-released in their original N64 forms doesn't seem too far away.

15. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Go figure DK would have its limits due to Microsoft.

• Like Like x 1
  16. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

If they go the "Gameboy Classic" route, it may be best to just do all 3 (the original Gameboy, the GB Color, and the GB Advanced) all on one Classic console.

And yes to the idea of making it compatible to hook up to a TV.

17. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

N64 Classic would have difficulties because half the games people would want are impossible to rerelease on a Nintendo system in any capacity due to Microsoft owning Rare. I keep seeing people wanting GoldenEye on a hypothetical N64 Classic and cannot help but roll my eyes because they do not realize that it's 1) a Bond license and would require royalties paid to MGM and 2) a Rare game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Then it sounds like a Game Boy Classic is the safer bet. Or they can do what AT Games does, and simply add more games to future NES and SNES Classics, and make people buy the whole thing all over again. And again. And again.

19. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

If they did a Game Boy Classic they should one up Star Fox 2 by putting X on there (Dylan Cuthbert's first game for Nintendo). Never got localized (almost did under the name Lunar Chase) but the sequel on DSi was as X-Scape.

20. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I just realized something. Because the Gamecube is a disc-based system, it needs system software that's separate from the games themselves in order to actually run the games, unlike cartridge-based games where everything needed to run the game is on the cartridge. If they to give everyone a Gamecube classic, they would also have to separately emulate the system software that the Gamecube originally used*, and if I had to guess, it might not be that easy. Just saying.

*There are a few Turbografx CD games on the Wii Virtual Console. However, when you download them, it takes a little longer than usual because you're downloading both the game, and an emulated version of the system software needed to run it. I imagine that this is the case with any game that was originally released on a system that uses discs instead of cartridges (Sega CD, Sega Saturn, any of the Playstation systems, etc.)