1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you abolish Daylight Savings Time?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 8, 2015.

?

Keep or dump?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2015.
  1. I would keep Daylight Savings Time as-is

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. I would abolish it but keep time at DST

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I would abolish it but keep time at non-DST

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

I would keep it because I enjoy long evenings.

That being said come now this November I undertstand why the clocks need to go back an hour. Think about how dangerous it could be for School Children to go to School in the Dark in the mornings in the late Fall. At least in the evenings when it gets dark at 5 PM the Children are home safely.

#21 jfoley85, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Yeah, get rid of it. I don't really see any reason to keep it. Keep it at non-DST, only to keep in line with Arizona and Hawaii, who already don't do DST (lucky them).

3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Exactly. It's a lot safer for kids. (At least in countries far away from the equator) That's why I want to keep it.

My country has enough traffic accidents already :sweat:

4. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Yeah, that's another good reason to keep DST for traffic reasons in the long evenings, and the fact that there is enough sunlight for awile. The mornings are MUCH more important after DST ends. Here in Canada Saskatchewan is the only Province who doesn't observe DST.

#24 jfoley85, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  5. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Neither of those are true. Farmers actually didn't want DST and my home state measured electricity usage when they finally adopted DST, revealing no savings on electricity.

But here, since you need proof of some sort:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/30/living/daylight-saving-time-feat/

6. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Wouldn't matter. Whatever energy you save at one time of year would be used up at the other end.

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I have deleted my post because it wasn't true, but that doesn't mean I fully agree with you. I just don't really know to explain it in my own language, let alone English : /

Anyways, I don't think daylight savings have much impact on our use of energy. But I do think it prevents road accidents. (at least here in Belgium...)

8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I'd get rid of it, I know its no longer trouble keeping time checked when that stuff is automatically changed thanks to modern technology but I myself always forget when is the time to switch the clock forward or backwards.

9. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Here in Canada and the USA it always occurs the second Sunday in March (DST starts) and the first Sunday in November (DST ends).

Just want to point out that the pain of early mornings in the weeks that follow (Starting DST) are soon long forgotten when you enjoy a evening BBQ in the Summer. Longer nights mean people have more time to shop (There are people who are afraid of the dark and people who don't want to go out after dark) and go to baseball games which we seem to enjoy this time of the Year.

#29 jfoley85, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  10. Pilmedium

Pilmedium Active Member

I think DST should be abolished, really, and that the original (winter/clocks back) time zones should be permanent. Manipulating the clocks seems to make little sense. It makes it more difficult to compare different time zones and times of year. The dark mornings are a pain for early risers and commuters, in addition to the fact that marginal daylight when many schools start poses a risk to children. Bright evenings encourage people to stay up later and therefore have a harder time waking up, reducing productivity. Staying light later in the day actually means more air-conditioner use during summer evenings, because the heat lasts longer after people return home. Changes in the clocks can take a week to adapt to, affecting productivity and even increasing the rate of traffic accidents. Darkness cannot be controlled; only its timing can be manipulated as DST does, at the benefit of some, the expense of others, and the confusion of many.