1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you abolish Daylight Savings Time?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 8, 2015.

?

Keep or dump?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2015.
  1. I would keep Daylight Savings Time as-is

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. I would abolish it but keep time at DST

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I would abolish it but keep time at non-DST

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

And if so, which time would you make the permanent time?

I would elect to get rid of it, because it's nothing but a pain, especially in the spring. I would make DST permanent, for the simple reason that it should never, never, NEVER become dark at 4:30 PM again. Ever.

2. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, that's right. I slept late today.

I don't really think about it.
    I think what I'm going to do is take it a minute at a time and in 60 days I'll be back in line with everyone else.
    It may put me out of step with stop lights for a while. I don't know if they are going to buy that I'm not jumping the light by a minute, but actually 59 minutes behind its cycle.

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I bombed my first DST attempt; woke up at 11 AM. >_< Take Two tonight.

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I would abolish it, because it's outdated and been utterly useless for many years now, and keep it a non-DST time. Having daylight still at 8PM in the evening is ridiculous.

Where do you live that it gets dark at 4:30, though? I've never seen it get dark that early, unless I suppose one lives in the north of Alaska or in Antarctica during certain times of the year.

5. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

I'm guessing none of you are farmers?

6. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Oregon, and I love having light until 8. Having light late is better than having dark early.

7. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

If I was I would probably be getting up when the animals need me to instead of what the clock says.

• Like Like x 1
  8. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

After living in a country without it, I'd say we don't really need it in the US. It just messes up circadian rhythms.

9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

The value of it to farmers was proven worthless long ago. There are plenty of studies that prove billions are lost each year to it though due to tired workers, misadjusted clocks causing delays, etc. It's time for DST to die.

10. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I say get rid of it. It doesn't really matter if permanent time is DST or not, but I just hate changing clocks and being out of whack for a few days. It is an outdated system and needs to go.

11. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

I don't mind it, though I forgot to set my clock on Saturday before turning in.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd be fine with it being abolished. It's pretty outdated and it messes up my internal clock for a few days. Plus, I kind of like when it gets darker sooner, even though that feels weird for awhile after finally getting used to the DST too.

13. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

Living with it a few days I think maybe they should hold off until late April to spring forward to synch better with sunrise. I like that the fall back in in November now, that was a good change.

14. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

They adjusted the dates as part of one of GW's Energy Bills...saving electricity was how it got shoved down Indiana's throat. The studies have been done though, if anything we now use more electricity because of DST. Stupid thing.

15. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I'd be perfectly fine with abolishing Daylight Savings Time. Not only do I dislike being biologically out-of-whack for the first week or so, but terminating DST would lighten my workload since I'm the one in the house who has to set all the clocks; I did it once or twice and now all of a sudden it's become my job, everyone just goes about their daily business expecting me to sync up all the clocks. So I'd be A-OK with DST going away.

I'd personally keep things at the 'spring forward' time. I've always preferred that and I hate the early onset of darkness. I'd rather have daylight at 7 PM than nightfall at 5 PM.

16. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I'd like to keep DST as it is because this is the kind of situation I easily adapt to. Also, it depends on the amount of daylight we get depending on the season.

17. rkofan87

rkofan87 Member

yes its dumb.

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Was there any particular reason why the call for abolishing DST seemed louder this year? Is it a case of "mad as hell and not gonna take this anymore"?

I mean heck, Jimmy Kimmel even brought it up to President Obama on his show.

19. Sugarcat

Sugarcat New Member

It's outdated and annoying. It should eventually be abolished

20. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Here in Chicago, it gets dark that early in December. The sun sets as early as 4:19 pm. That's what we get for being in the Eastern edge of the time zone. I remember being shocked when I visited my sister in Cleveland and there was still light out at past 9:00 pm. The latest it sets in Chicago is around 8:30.

I personally don't see the big problem with DST, other than having to explain it to non-Americans. Just go to bed earlier on the night before. Are people really that sensitive to the change? I know there are a lot of reports that claim so, but I think they tend to be worst case scenarios, and most people adjust to it pretty quickly, and certainly without the disastrous consequences you read about.