1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Tex Avery cartoon

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Tintin, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Tintin

Tintin Member

Who's that your worst Tex Avery cartoon made on WB, MGM or Universal productions:

My worst are "I Love to Singa" on Warner Bros.

2. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I really have nothing against I Love to Singa, especially when I know the song was used in the first episode of South Park.

Hmm, I'm really trying to think of a Tex Avery cartoon I dont like. To be honest, I like most of his stuff, but I'm not fond of his Bugs Bunny cartoons for some reason. I dont think the Bugs shorts really got going until Clampett started directing them.

3. PorkyandDaffy

PorkyandDaffy The zaniest half-pig half-duck

I don't like Avery's ONE CAB'S FAMILY, and that's really his only MGM cartoon I don't like. I'm still having a hard time believing he made that.

At least his later, LITTLE JOHNNY JET - which had the same basic premise as CAB'S - was a little more fast paced and funny.

4. Matthew Hunter

Matthew Hunter Super Genius

Tex was great, there were very few I don't like or at least tolerate. I can't stand "Cellbound", though, and I really don't like the censored versions of his Droopy/Spike cartoons. I thing his cartoons started to lose something when he got too stylized and limited the animation, but hey, most of those are very funny. The thing I like about Avery, though he's not my favorite cartoon director, is that each of his cartoons there is something to like, and whatever I don't there's something else in it to compromise for it.
    -Matthew

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lonestarr

Lonestarr Stop eating my sesame cake!
    Staff Member Moderator

I truly can't stand "Little Johnny Jet" or "One Cab's Family".

Matthew - Why are you ragging on "Cellbound"? That's a classic! Am I right or am I right? (this is where the rest of you back me up on this)

6. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

It's not as good as "Little Johnny Jet" or "One Cab's Family," but it's a good cartoon.

Jack :D

7. Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker potrzebie

One Cab's Family and Johnny Jet I'm not big on. Too Disney for my tastes.

Cellbound is one of my favorite later Tex/MGM ones.

I generally prefer the 1940s over the '50s; the WWII-era exagerations and whip-smart cultural references.

8. Brandon Pierce

Brandon Pierce Summer Glau Fanatic

I thought his Bugs cartoons were great!
    Man... why can't I find a copy of All This and Rabbit Stew :confused:

9. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

It's a tough call....

"Johnny Jet" and "Cab's Family" were a little too cutesy..."One Ham's Family" was a favorite of mine since shildhood, but I find a lot of people dislike the character of Junior Pig...some of Avery's early Warners stuff, like the one with the Robin Hood-playing squirrels and his "nice mice", made me think Schlesinger straitjacketed Avery's humor too much and he resented it (maybe he was trying to do exactly what he was told to the point it was too saccharine--sort of irk Leon with reverse psychology there). "House of Tomorrow" had a few too many mother-in-law jokes (was Avery having problems with Mrs. Avery's mother?)...and I always felt he overused the "dogs-pee-on-trees" gag (have yet to see a dog do that). But no specific critiscisms or outright bashing....

10. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

Re: It's a tough call....

That was a Chuck Jones piece, "Robin Hood Makes Good," a favorite of mine.

Jack :D

11. DR. BELCH

DR. BELCH Member

Oops! Gracias, Jack.

Still, I guess a lot of directors under Schlesinger would say their early Warners work was weak (Jones has, but I don't know about Avery or Clampett) and pin it on Leon's tendency to curb their hand somewhat.
    Actually, maybe not Clampett, who liked Leon. I guess he didn't pick on Bob as much as poor Chuck (who nearly lost his job over "The Dover Boys") or Tex (cf. their "The Heckling Hare" dispute).

12. J Lee

J Lee Active Member

Avery's cute mouse triolgy at Warners was pretty bad, except for Irv Spence's animation on the Ratz Brothers' musical number in "A Sunbonnet Blue." Even Tex hated those cartoons when Joe Adamson reminded him about them...

13. laugh4me

laugh4me Animated individual

I agree that his "cute mice" ones were pretty poor, but I like most of the "worst" ones others are mentioning in this thread ("Little Johnny Jet", "One Cab's Family", "I Love To Singa" etc.) .

:)

Now I get to offer a pair to consider: I'd say that "I Wanna Be a Sailor" and "Detouring America" both are pretty weak. :eek:

14. PorkyandDaffy

PorkyandDaffy The zaniest half-pig half-duck

DETOURING AMERICA? Man, I love that cartoon. Avery was the king of Travelogues!

15. J Lee

J Lee Active Member

Whoops! Almost fogot -- along with "Ain't We Got Fun," "A Sunbonnet Blue" and "The Mice Will Play," the other Avery WB cartoon best forgotten was "I'd Love To Take Orders From You."

It had no experimentation in design or gags like Tex's other two early Merrie Melodies, "Miss Glory" and "I Love To Singa," is way too Freeling/Harman-Isingish in its story and is only notable today because it's the cartoon that was being made when Bob Clampett shot his home movies of Termite Terrace, thereby preserving forever the image of Tex Avery as a scarecrow, among other things. CN should air the home movies and keep the cartoon on the shelf...

16. Randy Watts

Randy Watts Guest

Even Avery's weaker 1930s cartoons are easier for me to overlook, simply because they ARE a product of the time, very reflective of both the Warner style of the period and of the growing pains the studio was undergoing.

One Avery cartoon I really don't like much at all is "Farm of Tomorrow." It starts out pretty much on-topic but eventually just tosses out the farm theme for an unrelated string of "whaddya get when ya cross a (blank) with a (blank)" gags. Come to think of it, by that point "Farm" even pretty much tosses out animation in favor of drawings.

Randy

17. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Detouring America is awesome I finally watched it today

I also like I wanna be a sailor it's a good film

A day at the zoo is funny with the I'm a bad boy gag!

18. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

The Nice Mice trilogy.

19. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

This thread is from November 2001. Why is anyone posting in this?

20. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Well its not like its a timely subject. And considering all the crap he directed for Warner Bros. between 1936 and 1938, there's a lot it didn't cover.