1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Songs of 2010

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Toon Master, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Oh god, don't get me started on "OMG".

What's worse is that song is a will.i.am production. I normally like his output...

2. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

LOL - never heard this one (in fact, I've been smart/lucky enough to never have to hear an entire JB song) but that's beyond stupid. I think "Baby" is probably the winner in this category. He's sold what - three different album versions of it? It's probably the only song I could fake knowing the chorus to, if held at gun-point.

HEY! Person with the Joan of Arc profile pic! Where'd you get that? Is Clone High coming back?!? TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME! STAAAAMOOOSSSSS!

I also missed most of the "California Gurls" mania, only hearing the song in the fall for the first time, but I think it deserves a nod. It was just such a cheap grab for attention, cream canisters and all. And no, Cali girls aren't the best in the world, sorry.

The new Black Eyed Peas song, where they remix (and BOY do I use that term loosely) "Time of My Life" just grates on my nerves. What was Oprah thinking having them perform it on her last "Favourite Things" special? Ugh! Shudder.

I think those are the worst offenders.

EDIT: I almost forgot those two annoying sports anthems of 2010 - The "Waving Flag" song of the Africa Cup, and the "I Believe" headache from the Vancouver Games. I'll be very happy not to hear those for a good long while.

#42 DisneyBoy, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  3. Totally_Insaney

Totally_Insaney what is this? i don't even

California Gurls is pretty terrible. I don't have anything to say about it that hasn't been said in this thread already except that it has succeeded in raping my mind into thinking of Katy Perry whenever I hear "California Girls" when I once thought of The Beach Boys.

Also seconded on the Black Eyed Peas bastardization of "Time of my Life".

Anything by Kesha. She is just obnoxious.

Anything by Taylor Swift. Stop singing about how much you hate men and how you're such a victim.

4. quack-up

quack-up Member

Well, thinking it over, I think "Time of My Life" by the Peas was the worst. It's always worst when you ruin a great song.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I already answered that in the 30 Rock topic.

6. Totally_Insaney

Totally_Insaney what is this? i don't even

Thought of another one. Dynamite by Taio Cruz. It's my mom's ringtone and so every time she gets a call and I'm around, I have to listen to it and get it stuck in my head. Boy I really hates it.

7. RSNaco

RSNaco Izzy's Second Biggest Fan

I could mention so many songs in here from this past year, but right now the one sneaking in before the deadline to bug the crap out of me is Duffy's "Well Well Well." I swear the whole song sound like one big whine from her and that the title sounds like sarcastic crying.

8. quack-up

quack-up Member

I really like that song!

9. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

I like Will.i.am's production work too, but the beat isn't the problem with the song. it's Usher's horrific lyrics. I feel the same way about every Black Eyed Peas album post-Elephunk. I don't even check for them anymore.

10. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

If you hate most of the new Black Eyed Peas music then you would probably throw yourself out a window if you heard their newest album titled "The Beginning". It has to be one of the worst albums they have ever made. Even worse than "The E.N.D." which was a mess in my opinion.

The minute I heard the single "The Time" off of "The Beginning" I thought my ears were going to bleed.

11. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

I now know what song I hated this year. That song from Cee-Lo. Yeah, I can't name the song here, it has a bad word on it.

Yeah, that song. Why? I honestly don't get it whatsoever. It was basically number 1 around the world, and it's even nominate for Record of the Year and Song of the Year. But I don't see how the song is successful.

The lyrics are god-awful, the music sounds very forgettable, and it's a pretty typical concept of a song. What's the secret?

12. Red TF Ranger

Red TF Ranger Member

One has to wonder what poor Bill Medley thought the first time he heard that abomination.

And I also have a new nominee..any song where the artist says the word (or name)"shorty".Who the heck is Shorty?

13. Jacob

Jacob Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Anything that was on the iTunes top ten. Which includes "Like a G6" (horrid) and anything by Mike Posner (scary), Justin Bieber (annoying), Kesha or The Black Eyed Peas (just plain bad).

14. RedNinja84

RedNinja84 Hotness 2.0

Shorty is a slang term for girlfriend like my boo. I find it funny that all these songs you guys named were on the local news websites top 50 of the year. It's sorta sad really.

15. KJ Styles

LOL, I can imagine. Prior to Fergie joining the group, Black Eyes Peas were an authentic hip-hop group. They have completely abandoned that sound now, and it really sucks.

As for RedNinja's comment, I knew Shorty meant Boo/GF/Wifey but that song is still terrible. I believe it's by Flo Rida if I'm not mistaken.

The majority of today's mainstream music is bad (at least most of the stuff that charts). If you compare the stuff that charted 15 years ago to the stuff that charts now, the stuff back then is FAR superior.

16. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

In 15 years people are going to be saying that exact same thing. Hell, I'm willing to bet people were saying that 15 years ago as well.

17. KJ Styles

Probably, but the difference is that there were more genre's out there than they were back in the 60's and even 70's. But today, music across the board even in those genres have declined. It seems like A&R guys value marketability and image over talent.

18. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

You are not making a very good argument here. Once again, the same exact thing could be said towards the pop stars of 15 years ago, 25 years ago, and beyond. Who's to say that all the Hair-Metal bullcrap that was spewed out during the mid-80's had more substance than today's mainstream rock?

The thing is that today's top 40 radio really isn't much worse than it was in the past, it's that yesterday's pop music is the stuff you grew up with, and that's why you prefer it over the music of today. To quote Grandpa Simpson, " I used to be "with it." But then they changed what "it" was. Now what I'm "with" isn't "it" and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me."

19. KJ Styles

You don't get what I'm saying. Granted, everyone is gonna have their own opinions but I'd say most people would say that most genres overall aren't as good as they used to be. For example, most would say that today's rap/hip-hop is nowhere near as good it was in the 80's and 90's and I totally agree with that. Same goes for R&B and pop, and although I'm not a huge rock fan, some of my friends that are rock fans feel that the rock from the 80's is better than today's rock. About the only people that disagree are those who didn't grow up with the music that I did.

Like I said, everyone's entitled to their own opinions but most diehard music fans agree with me from what I've seen.

And you're right, our parents liked their music better than ours, just like our kids will like their music better than their kids' music. But personally, I'd even take most of the stuff from the 50's and 60's over the stuff now. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike all of today's music, it's just that for every Alicia Keys, there seems to be 10 Kesha's. For every Nas and Eminem, there's 10 Souljah Boys and Gucci Mane's and I hate that.

20. G. Wen

G. Wen aspiring artist

I think the same could be said for the '50's and '60's, but we just remember the Alicia Keys and Eminem of the past because who wants to remember the crappy stuff? I think a perfect example of this is that for every Duke Ellington band out there, there were 10 Lawrence Welk bands.