1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst Songs of 2010

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Toon Master, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Shirubie

Shirubie samurai wannabe

THIS! That musical torture played at least three times a day for months on the french radio station playing at my old job. I simply could not stand it anymore and it actually affected my productivity (can't type with my hands over my ears to block out that whiny singer).

The problem with commercial stations is that they keep playing the same songs over and over again, making you unable to stand even the best of songs. I thought Lady Gaga's Alejandro was good the first time I heard it, but after four consecutive months of hearing it everyday, I now hate it with a burning passion.

2. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Ah yes, now I remember. Taylor Swift's "Mine." Amazingly, I don't hate Taylor Swift as much as some other people do. Now I don't particularly like her, I think she's about average as a singer. She's really not all that good, but she's also not really all that bad either. But this song is nothing short of stupid. It seems like she was trying too hard to write it. Nothing about it seems natural to me. Now, one the radio, it doesn't sound too bad. But look at this, it's her performing the song on Letterman.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcLIGAIkztc&feature=branded
    Ah, yes, she's clearly singing live, no lip synch. You can tell by how she misses notes.:sweat: It's her live performances that show her problems. When she's live, there's no sound technology to make her voice sound good. It doesn't help that she has no stage presence whatsoever. No charisma, no joy, nothing. Some of the people in the audience look downright bored. Her attempts at trying to interact (pointing at the audience, forming that dreadfully cliched "heart" with her hands) fall flat. It's about as natural as Celine Dion's attempts to "interact." And also look in the video at that guitar player: is he even playing? It's so clear he doesn't care. And the whole "I love you so much" thing of hers is really getting very, very old. Wow, this actually turned into a whole Taylor Swift bashing post, instead of that one song.:sweat: But look, I'm not trying to entirely bash her. She's very young and to get up in front of the whole world and perform actually semi-decently (I'm looking at you Justin Bieber) takes a lot of guts and is highly commendable. But is she good enough to have so many screaming fans? Absolutely not. She just markets herself well to teenage girls, and that's why they buy her albums. But the thing is, those teenage girls grow up, and songs about teenage love are no longer relevant. So, there is no way we are going to hear about massive sales from her album ten years from now. But, in closing, I will say this for her: she is a million times better than Bieber. Seriously.

3. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

A couple of my least favorites:

1. "Water" by Brad Paisley. Yeah, wet t-shirt contest. Skinny dipping Never heard THAT one before. And from the way he sings it, he acts as if he's discovered something new and clever. The melody and production also sound almost exactly like about half of his songs from the last couple years; it's just "Ticks" with a couple notes changed! That's what annoys me most about Brad. He can write a great song ("Letter to Me") and then turn around and write total crap. His latest, "This Is Country Music", is total crap too — just pandering, bragging about how "country" he is and name-dropping songs left and right.

2. "Unstoppable" by Rascal Flatts. Just like almost everything else they put out in the last five years: whiny, bombastic, melodramatic power ballad. Dann Huff just LOVES throwing a dozen guitars and a huge string section behing Gary, forcing him to practically SCREAM in the most nasal, squealing voice you've ever heard — which then throws him out of tune, meaning it's Pro Tools time! Thank God they finally changed labels; "Why Wait" is a glorious return to their earlier sound with none of the overproduction and a much more tolerable nasality.

3."This Song's for You" by Joey + Rory/Zac Brown Band. Why did they get the insanely talented ZBB involved in this? The lyrics are shamelessly pandering, unsubtle and uninspired:

And keep in mind that Rory Lee Feek and Zac Brown wrote this. Rory is usually a great songwriter even when writing for other artists ("The Chain of Love", "Some Beach", etc.) and Zac Brown Band's two albums have some of the absolute best music to come out of Nashville — some damn fine acoustic, mellow, laid-back music with often great lyrics. Check out "Highway 20 Ride", "Toes" and "As She's Walking Away". I'm still at a loss as to how two talented groups put together such a piece of dreck.

4. "Fearless" by Taylor Swift. I can actually tolerate "Mine" and I think "Back to December" is very strong. This song, however, has an uninspired melody and a very awkward bridge (yes, this is really where she put the pauses in):

5. "Makin' Me Fall In Love Again" by Kellie Pickler. Why? Why do we keep supporting her? For the most part, Kellie is an unoriginal singer of unoriginal songs. There's just so little to like in most of her songs. And what's more, she is the biggest "dumb blonde" ever. She presented at the CMA Awards in November and when she read the nominees, she displayed about a kindergarten reading level.

4. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

I think all the hate for Justin Beiber isn't because he's a bad singer, (I think he's an okay singer. I'm not a fan of him or anything, but I can completely understand why young girls like him.) People just seem to hate him becuase of the level of fame he has. If something gets "too" popular, there will always be a group of people who hate whatever it is, just becuase of its popularity. Beiber falls into that category. Also, Beiber's music is directed at young girls, so OF COURSE people above the age of 10, and those of the male gender aren't going to be fans of his.

Now, onto the suck.

Kesha. Every song by Kesha is the worst of 2010. Actually, not just her music. Just Kesha. She is the worst of 2010. She is just terrible. Awful. To quote Peter Griffin, she is an offense to all senses. I imagine she smells like salty garbage. Truly disgusting.

Oh, and "Tonight's Gonna be a Good Night" by Black Eyed Peas is one of the worst songs EVER made. On that note, while I am definitely NOT a fan of the Saw series, If they ever decide to make another movie, one of Jigsaw's traps should involve the loser being forced to listen to that song on an endless loop until their head explodes. (Which I do not think would take very long)

Enrique Ingelsias "I Like It" is one of the most generic songs ever recorded. There are literally dozens of songs like this out there with the exact same beats and rhythm. The lyrics aren't embarrassing or anything, just.. incredibly cliche. You've heard lyrics like this used in countless amounts of songs in the past. It's a terrible song because it lacks any sense of creativity or imagination. Nothing in it stands out or sets it apart from any other 'club' music.

#24 Mist, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  5. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Heh, his song "Somebody to Love" is way better. It's actually a great pop song, and that's saying something.

That song is called "I Gotta Feeling", actually. And I actually love that song. It was really awesome live when I saw them open for U2 last year.

Eh? Vocal enhancements are used in live performances all the time.

6. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

How do you get an enjoyment that's nothing but "tonight's gonna be a good night, tonight's gonna be a good, good night" repeated 20,000 times with no variation?

7. quack-up

quack-up Member

Perhaps it's that he shouldn't get all the fame considering his quality of singing.

"I Gotta Feeling" is 2009, isn't it?

#27 quack-up, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
  8. Evo

Evo Agent of Providence

Then listen to "Courage" by Orianthi featuring Lacey Mosley of Flyleaf. I got excited to hear they were working together. I was kinda dissapointed. surprisingly dull and poppy for either of them.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Looks like every song that got any airplay at all has been mentioned already. There have to be some terrible unexposed indie songs out there....

Bieber is a tempting default choice, but now that I know of "Whip My Hair" -- a song by a 9-year-old that only got wide distribution because her father is rich and famous, and only contains one line repeated 70 times -- I've decided it can't possibly get lower than that this year. I know there are still 12 days to go, but someone would have to try VERY hard.

When your kids ask you how unfair and unbalanced life is, there's the song you can point to, and they'll get a good idea.

10. Martin Juneau

Martin Juneau Cartoon/comic-artist

There's "Rock the Body" and the Dirty Dancing repeat who are 2010 from the same band. Both are not a good enjoyment to listen.

11. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

Your 'Most Hated Song for 2010' isn't bad and it's my first time hearing it. I will say that I like the background music even if the main vocal isn't the best. 'Alejandro' have played on the radio, if not everyday at the moment, very frequently since its release on mainstream radio. I like it and always let my imagination do all of the talking when I listen to it. Simply put: whenever I hear music, I envision small movies with scenes that change over time.

As for everyone from Taylor Swift to the Biebster to Willow Smith, I agree that all of their songs have been annoying to outstandingly awful. It's bad enough that Ms. Smith is coming to my state for a concert and she can't rely on just 'Whip My Hair' as the reason why she's in the music industry. What's ironic is that there have been word that her song was banned from airplay even though it was mentioned in the Top 10 song play list from 92Q Jams. Along with that, Willow, like many young performers today, had her father stop her from reading about all of the hate the we had directed toward her and the song. Sure, we can blame her folks who are also talented in music themselves but maybe, over time, she'll be nothing but a faded memory leaving only Jaden Smith as the only spawn from Big Will who could surprise us as his acting improves. As for Will's first-born, I wonder where he went?

I think the increase of popularity surrounding Justin Bieber is too much to handle. I think once the film's released in February, depending on its performance, he, too, will be a faded memory. From talking dolls to wall posters, Bieber Fever, I hope, continues to grow but I hope that the gravy train will slow down soon.

Taylor Swift's someone who I began to find irritating sometime this year, and still do to this day, but it might have been because of how many people have said that she's singing about the same thing: broken hearts at a young age. She just turned 21 so going through three guys, another who tried to claim that another female singer was better than her, and presumably dating another guy who turned 30 today gave her enough material to be one of the most popular, if not also, overrated celebs of the year. Then again, her ability to create two-three albums because of all of these themes and real-life events plus a Christmas CD astounds me.
    Do you mean The Black Eyed Peas 'The Time (Dirty Bit)? I don't know why would anyone wanted to remake a perfectly great song from the most iconic film from the late Patrick Swayze's career.

And, to those who hated Ke$ha this year, I'll admit that I like her new single 'We R Who We R'. To me, it's a great song to dance to along with visualizing yourself or other fictional characters created by yourself or from TV and movies that are in a video game setting once you get to the 8 bit music toward the end of the song.

12. quack-up

quack-up Member

I don't know if I like or hate "Rock That Body." It's...just...odd...

13. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

It's probably because it's a mix of an old hip-hop song of the '80's and the synthesizer trying to make the song sound like it came from the future.

14. Martin Juneau

Martin Juneau Cartoon/comic-artist

Yes! At first it sounded like a parody but i just realised how it comes as a true song. The only one i learn to like from Black Eyed Peas is "I Gotta Feeling". "Rock the Body" is like quack-up said, pretty weird.

15. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked the South Park version of Baby:p

16. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

That's a huge exaggeration.

It's a damn excellent dance song, which is what BEP was aiming for. The live version I heard had an awesome guitar solo in it.

17. Red TF Ranger

Red TF Ranger Member

Swift is actually one of the few country artists I don`t mind listening to..and it doesn`t hurt that she`s really cute

18. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

Whenever I see Justin Bieber, I have to say to myself, "Does Ellen Page have a younger brother, who's a pop star?!" :p Seriously, I wonder how Justin is going to reinvent (in order to stay relevant) himself once he hits his 20s and starts growing facial hair!?

19. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Wow... how did I forget her? Whenever one of her "songs" comes on the radio, I'm the one who takes about how dreadful she is. Look at one of her videos. Or at least try to. Okay, don't. Here, the Nostalgia Chick has got us covered. There are small snippets of a couple of her videos here.
    http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thedudette/nostalgia-chick/21361-stop-worrying-and-love-the-kesha
    She performs and acts as if she is drunk. Maybe that's the point of her act, but it doesn't work. It just makes her look incredibly stupid. Her lyrics are BEYOND idiotic. She's like the anti-Taylor Swift in many ways. Taylor Swift sings about teenage love while Kesha, oh excuse me, Ke$ha (I cannot believe I just did that) talks about well... something else.:sweat: And finally, she cannot sing at all. So, she decides to do a sort of semi-rap that sounds awful. So, that's my rant about Kesha. Amazing that the thread on the worst songs has far more posts than the one on the best songs. Just goes to show, we as a society like to laugh at things that are bad.

20. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

I don't disagree with what you just said about Bieber as I can't stand him either. However, the Grammy's are and always will be commercial. No matter how bad an artist or album is in quality, if it sells and is popular (regardless of the age group) it's gonna be nominated. I rarely watch the Grammy's for that reason.

As for my pick, without question it's Usher's "Oh My Gosh". It's got god awful lyrics that a 5 year old could have written, and Usher abandons his god given vocal talent for some pop-bopper nonsense. I can't see how anybody can dig this song at all, it's horrific garbage.