Worst Simpsons Episodes Ever!

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by CartoonFridays, Mar 25, 2012.

1. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

There hasn't really been an thread about what y'all think is the lowest points in Simpsons history. So what episodes do you think deserve the crown for worst ever?

Bart-Mangled Banner-This episode feels more like a Family Guy episode with the Simpsons thrown in as an afterthought! I mean seriously? "Last Registered Democrat"??? Though it is a satire of post-9/11 conservitalism (and aired two months after the Iraq War started), the writers just tried to get as much liberal anger out as they could and didn't have any humorous effort. Same goes for the jab at Fox News in "Mr. Spritz Goes To Washington", and even I don't think Family Guy would go that far. Also, it's "Liberal Lisa" at her worst.

The Computer Wore Menace Shoes-It's just an extended "Treehouse Of Horror" segment. The whole parody of The Prisoner just seemed so out of place in the Simpsons world. Plus it didn't really have an ending.

The Boys Of Bummer-My personal "panda rape".Bart or another Simpson becoming a pariah isn't a new plot device. But this stands out because the reason of hate was too trivial (fumbling a pop fly) and the consequences way too over-the-top. I'd expect this to come from South Park, but The Simpsons??? To put it short it just wasn't funny (and the mood whiplash between this and Homer's [better] subplot about becoming a mattress salesman). One of the few episodes I can't even bear to see again. Just plain sick.

On A Clear Day I Can't See My Sister-Lisa's hatred of Bart was given a rocket boost. Usually, Lisa is a jerk because she's preachy and liberal, but here she's just plain mean. And like in "Bummer", it's a good thing Marge stepped in before things could get any worse.

The Bob Next Door-Scariest Bob episode (even more than "Cape Feare"). Who wants to laugh at guys getting their faces peeled off with their muscles and blood showing???

Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie-I hate an uber-competant Homer (though its ending was touching).

Wedding For Disaster-Giving Marge an exaggerated "bridezilla" attitude and Patty & Selma's Saw-inspired torture of Homer. Character traits were just too exaggerated here.

Marge Be Not Proud-Just too depressing.

Bart vs. Thanksgiving-Again too depressing.

Marge vs. SSCCTG-Again took satire too far and too cruel for mainstream Simpsons humor.

The Lastest Gun In The West-The random dog plot that takes up the whole first act just doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  2. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

Here's my choices:

Homer The Heretic: I never did like the whole "You have to go to church to be a Christian" attitudes everyone in Springfield had, not to mention Homer thinking his new "religion" was extraordinary.

Lisa The Vegetarian- What can I say? I never did like how Lisa behaved in this episode, not to mention the fact that Lisa's vegetarianism being a permanent character trait Paul McCartney insisted on as a condition as a part of his guest appearance.

Miracle on Evergreen Terrace: Worst. Meanspirited. Ending. EVER.

3. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Very much agree with the following:

Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie
    Marge vs. SSCCTG
    Miracle on Evergreen Terrace

Also, Bart-Mangled Banner and The Boys Of Bummer are episodes on my list of "the plot's so bad, I refuse to even watch them" episodes.

Two more to add to the list:

Wild Barts Can't Be Broken - Pretty terrible episode thanks to writers not knowing how child curfew laws actually work, an unnecessary musical number, and an awful ending.

Kill the Alligator and Run - Pretty much "Homer the Super Jerk" and "The Simpsons are going to..." episodes at their worst.

4. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

I have one just one. There are many bad Simpsons episode but one that stands out, that I would call the worst Simpsons episode and probably one of my most hated episodes on TV.

"Homer VS Dignity" Showing Homer to be so desperate for extra money that he's willing to do incredibly humiliating tasks in order to please Mr Burns. The basic idea of the plot is bad enough but where it ends up the show went too far. The Panda scene, :ack: My god the panda scene. :eek: Sure we see nothing but with what is said and Homer's reaction after the fact that scene almost turned me off The Simpsons all together. As far as I'm concerned Homer and Dignity both lost and so did the viewer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2012
  5. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Oh why not. It's been a while since this kind of thread was at TZ. Due to changing perspective, my list will probably be different than in previous threads.

One Fish, Two Fish, Blow Fish, Blue Fish: Calm down. The episode's well done from a dramatic standpoint. I just find little to laugh at in it; imminent death isn't an easy subject for comedy and this one's no exception. I rarely re-watch this one.

HOMR: As described in this thread. I don't actually find this episode a total disaster; it has a few laughs, but overall it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth due to its anti-intellectual undertones and retconning. And it feels completely pointless to boot.

That 90's Show: Sloppily retcons Homer and Marge's marriage by having the pre-Bart days take place in the '90s. Too many jokes which scream "We're referencing stuff that was popular back then!" One of the few episodes I actively refuse to re-watch, I hated it so much. Really, the flashback episodes should've stopped years ago, thanks to the sliding timeline.

Another Simpsons Clip Show: Laziness to the extreme, due to the recycled footage in addition to the flashbacks. You're better off watching the episodes that this episode used clips from, because they'll have more jokes that the flashbacks left out. That said, I did like the fireplace gag at the beginning.

Gump Roast: Not quite as bad as ASCS (at least it has completely new footage for the wraparounds), but the "This is Your Life" motif is still a lazy set-up for the clips. And much of the banter in the wraparounds is so corny it ceases becoming a parody of corny awards speeches and just becomes... corny. The only gag I really enjoy is Sideshow Mel's "The collective will of everybody in the room!" when Abe asks Agnes what's holding her dress up.

Saddlesore Galactica: Sorry to be so predictable, but yeah. Actually, if the episode were funnier I might be able to forgive the elf jockey thing, but it's really not a very strong outing, so I can't. Only laughs are Bill Clinton's "Hey, I'm a pretty lousy president", the Bachman-Turner Overdrive stuff, and Largo's sullen remark about how the band's music all sounds the same no matter what they play.

Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder: From a plot standpoint, this episode makes no sense. Homer wants to commit suicide just because his 15 minutes of fame of a perfect bowling game is gone? Talk about forced. To top it off, the episode has some pretty lukewarm humor. When "Not LENNY!" is the best they came up with... yeah.

Dude, Where's My Ranch?: What's this episode about again? Oh who cares.

I saw no problem with Homer sticking to his punishment of Bart. He doesn't usually punish, so he doesn't know how to do it, so he got carried away. This was even acknowledged by Marge.

Anyway, this episode loses a little steam in the third act, but the first two acts are so good that I wouldn't personally place it on my worst list. Not by a long shot.

6. Monterey Jack

Monterey Jack New Member

That's essentially the precise moment I stopped watching the show on a regular basis. Revolting.

7. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

I actually laughed at it! I say that was good, if not shocking.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  8. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

I definitely agree about Boys of Bummer and Miracle on Evergreen Terrace, those are they only Simpsons I personally avoid. Way too meanspirited for my tastes. Ironically, both episodes were focused on Bart.

9. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

What, No Principal and the Pauper? Well, I figured that was a given, considering how it is looked upon by the Simpsons fanbase.

10. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ New Member

Apparently not on Toonzone. There was a whole topic some time ago that dealt with this very episode, and quite a few members admitted they didn't hate or even liked it. You can find it here: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/show...rincipal-and-the-Pauper-Is-it-really-THAT-bad

11. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

I agree with you on this one and it's even more worse then "The Principal and the Pauper". Sometimes, I wish for an Holloween/Treehouse of horror special where Homer gets his revenge on that panda in a fight scene similar to that guy in this John West fish commercial.
    [video=youtube;alPmPSls-9s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alPmPSls-9s[/video]

12. Blipsy

Blipsy Tara's been a bad girl

The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed - This was a bad episode, but only one element made it one of my least favorites: Sacha Baron Cohen. I don't dislike Cohen. I liked Bruno and Borat, and he had some funny lines in Madagascar. But he was just really bad here. I don't know if the writers just gave him really unfunny material, or if it was mostly him ad-libbing and he was having an off day. It seems the writers really liked Cohen, since they gave him so much screentime, but it didn't pay off. Every joke he said was a complete flop, and every scene he was in dragged.

Judge Me Tender -
    Another mediocre episode that turns horrible because of its guest stars. The final act, where the American Idol judges all make fun of their personalities, is so lifeless, forced, and dated, it's almost painful to watch. Pointing out that Randy Jackson said "dawg" a lot was maybe kind of funny in 2003. In 2010, it was just stupid. The whole scene just reeked of laziness and brought the whole episode down. Add in the bizarre "Lisa makes Santa's Little Helper feel better about himself" scene and you get a terrible episode.

There are probably a lot of others I would hate, most of which would be from the later seasons. But almost everything from about season 13-19 is a forgettable blur to me, so I can't accurately judge them right now. These are just 2 episodes that really stood out because of their awfulness.

13. TnAdct1

Personally, it's the whole third act that brings the episode down, thanks to the writers basically trolling the audience by making them suffer the same fate Bart does when it comes to the punishment and the fact that the ending takes place 30 years in the future (rather than present day).

14. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I can see that. I would've loved to see more of the I&S movie during the final scene, but we only get a brief bit of it. (sighs)

15. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

A few of my personal absolute worst:

Miracle on Evergreen Terrace
    . This one starts out dark and just goes downhill from there. I don't mind dark humor if it's done right, but the final image of the Simpson family alone in their completely empty house, with all of Springfield hating their guts, just rubs me the wrong way.

Viva Ned Flanders. This is like the exact opposite of everything The Simpsons should be. Homer is in some kind of jerkass overdrive from beginning to end, doing nothing but making Ned's situation worse and never learning a thing from it.

Hello Gutter, Hello Fadder. This isn't an episode, it's just three unrelated seven-minute vignettes grafted together to simulate a plot. And for some reason, Penn and Teller had to be involved.

The Lastest Gun in the West. If there's one thing this show loves, it's the humor of the lame, where something is so intentionally stupid that you can't help but laugh at it. But when an entire episode is built out of that, it's pretty much destined to crash and burn under its own weight.

Helter Shelter. You'd think the reality show boom of the early '00s would have been the perfect target for The Simpsons to sink its claws into. You'd be wrong.

Bart-Mangled Banner. Again, another episode that flails wildly at topical satire (in this case, lampooning the hyper-patriotism and extreme right-wing atmosphere of post-9/11 America) and falls flat on its face. Nothing in this episode makes me laugh.

Mobile Homer. This was the first episode that I couldn't even remember after it ended. That's one of the trademarks of Zombie Simpsons - episodes so boring that they merely pass through your brain without leaving a trace of ever having been there.

We're On the Road to D'oh-where. Season 17 is literally overflowing with horrible episodes, but this is quite possibly the worst half-hour of television I've ever watched. All the characters are unlikeable jerks, the humor is needlessly dark and nasty, and the story makes no sense whatsoever. I could have gotten that from Family Guy if I wanted it.

The Devil Wears Nada. Not a single part of this episode makes any sense. Why is Marge happy about being a nude model? Why is Carl suddenly such a hard worker? Why the hell are Marge and Ned contemplating having an affair with each other? If this episode had a face, I would punch it.

16. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Forgot a couple from my earlier post:

-Simpson Safari: The bag boy strike is the only good aspect of this episode. But even in that case, it's completely forgotten about after the first act, unlike in "E-I-E-I-D'oh" when you think the catalyst for the Simpsons leaving home is forgotten but is rejoined at the very end. "Safari" is not a very funny episode, besides the fact.

-Simpsons Bible Stories: Unfortunately began the trend of non-Treehouse of Horror "three stories" episodes, few of which I've enjoyed. Not much to laugh at here, and I still don't care for the ending, where the family goes to Hell.

-Lisa the Drama Queen: I haven't seen the film this is parodying, so much of the episode was lost on me. But even after reading up on the synopsis (and the real life event that inspired the film), it doesn't make this episode any better. This and "Dangerous Curves" were pretty much the catalyst to stop watching new episodes on Sunday nights.

17. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

And here I actually LIKED "The Boys of Bummer". I feel weird.

Wasn't that "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase"?

18. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I think I'd agree with you if the Simpsons had sat there, sad, while some somber music plays. But they were clearly having fun with the washcloth. That, and the upbeat Christmas ending song, helped alleviate the fact that the Simpsons are completely ruined. At least for me.

And anyway, they're back to normal in the next episode like always.
    Boys of Bummer is just OK. It's not one of the all-time greats, but it's an amusing satire on how fans get carried away by sports, even if it's unfortunate what happened to Bart because of it. But I get a few laughs from the episode, and it was nice to have a Reverend Lovejoy subplot. Haven't had one of those in a while.
    I stand corrected. For some reason I never associate "Spin-Off" with those kind of episodes... maybe because Troy is presenting the clips as "pilots" for new shows rather than the Simpsons themselves imagining/telling stories of themselves in different scenarios, which to me isn't as interesting.

19. TnAdct1

Um, if I remember it correctly, they actually did reference the bag boy strike later on in the episode (with the final shot of the episode being a dedication to bag boys).

20. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

It was referenced later, yes, but what I meant was that the bag boy issue was never really resolved. In "E-I-E-I-D'oh" the man who accepted Homer's duel challenge was the catalyst for the Simpsons ditching town, but that plot point was resolved when they returned home and finally had the duel, so there was some closure. But in "Simpsons Safari", the bag boy strike was basically independent of the Simpsons going to Africa and its mention later on was more of a joke about how flimsy the excuse was for the Simpsons going to Africa in the first place. The episode could've left out the first act and it wouldn't have made much difference.