1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"World's Most Baffling Garfield Strips" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Good Ol' Batmanuel! Dressing for success?

I dunno if I could pick any favorites now. Haven't read the books in years. I really dig Garfield Minus Garfield, though!

2. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

[​IMG]
    I love the sheer absurdity of the Spluts in general, but this one is my favorite.

Also, that whole "Calvin cameo in the Garfield strip" thing is just hooey. It's just a kid who looks vaguely like Calvin, nothing more.

3. SgtStedenko

SgtStedenko New Member

This was the conclusion to a two-week storyline where Garfield had amnesia.

[​IMG]

Certainly not "most baffling" material, but this has bugged me since I was a kid. The punchline is pretty straightforward, it's also a callback to Garfield asking "Garfield? Who's Garfield" earlier on. What bugs me is... can Jon understand what Garfield is saying? Did the gonk to his head trigger some sort of telekinesis? Has this happened any other time in the 31 years Garfield's been in print?

To quote Josh Fruhlinger from joshreads.com,
    Well, if they had to violate a fundamental, long-established character trait, at least they did it in the service of a really great joke … oh, wait.

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It happened at least one other time that I know of: a strip where Garfield yanked off some tough guy's toupee, and the guy beat up Jon instead. As Jon walks away in rough shape, Garfield says "My favorite part was when he made you walk on all fours." Jon says back, "Shut up." They made this one into a TV show Quickie.

5. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I remember a time when Jon said "I have a date with the most beautiful girl on the planet" and Garfield thought "And which planet would that be?" to which Jon said "Shut up!"
    I wish that Jim would just make Garfield be able to talk so we can end this "Does Jon know what Garfield thinks?" stuff.

6. TenPoundHammer

I think it's a rule-of-funny thing. Jon understands Garfield when it makes for a better joke. Or something.

7. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Does the 5/17/87 strip posted earlier remind anyone else of the cartoon episode "nighty nightmare"?

8. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

But the coloring of the kid is identical to Calvin, and the kid's stuffed animal has stripes (and was colored orange on the original book reprint).

Garfield has referenced other comics before, so the idea of Davis doing a kind-of shout out to C&H is not outside the realm of possibility.

9. TenPoundHammer

Huh, I've heard it debunked elsewhere.

10. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh, where was it debunked?

11. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Does anyone have that one Garfield comic where Jon comes walking into a room, says "Dinner will be a bit late" (or something like that) to Garfield, and then leaves, all while HAVING HIS HEAD STUCK IN A FRIGGIN TURKEY?

That was probably the hardest I laughed at Garfield in years, because of the sheer absurdity of Jon with his head in a turkey through some event that might not have even been Garfield's fault. The poor guy is just that unlucky.

12. TenPoundHammer

I don't remember. I could be making this up.

13. Blipsy

Blipsy Tara's been a bad girl

Here's a couple of strips that are kind of similar to the "Garfield sleeps through Monday's strip" sequence.

[​IMG]

The first strip makes sense, but the 2nd strip only makes sense if you saw the previous day's comic. Wait, scratch that, it doesn't make ANY SENSE AT ALL. I guess Davis was going for absurdity that day, and I remember wondering if he would continue to have random people walk by and start laughing in the following strips. He didn't, though it would have been pretty awesome if he had.

14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I find this way creepier than the Halloween sequence, especially panel #5.

15. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

16. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Garfield already died once, on Halloween in 1982 (I think it was '82. I remember reading the strip in an early collection book.) So this means he now has 7 lives...
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Found the strip. It was 10/30/82. I also added the day's before strip to put it in context.