1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"World's Most Baffling Garfield Strips" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Maybe "catburger" means it's a burger FOR cats, not MADE OF cats. I don't think Jim Davis would make Jon eat cats. I think it's actually a cat toy, kind of like how you see rubber dog toys in the shape of hamburgers or hot dogs.

3. HomeMoviesFan

HomeMoviesFan I have a nemesis!

[​IMG]

I think he's just making fun of their names. I think.

There's a very popular YTMND that discusses the infamous '89 Halloween Garfield strips. Honestly, I took one look at them and said, "The distorted, horrific vision of Jon's abandoned house is all in Garfield's imagination", but people love to blow things out of proportion.

What's more baffling is why Jim Davis made Liz fall in love with Jon a couple years ago. Yes, it brought in a fresh batch of jokes (my favorite was Liz ordering a pizza having perfectly memorized the obvious long list, to which Garfield immediately responds to Jon, "Marry this girl."), but it ruined any unique personality Jon had to him. Now he's just Garfield's owner...and that's it.

4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Then why did Jon have it on a dinner plate? Why was he facing it as if he was about to eat it? And who'd make a cat toy in the shape of a plastic burger patty?

5. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

The act of bones knitting is what happens when a broken bone has been put in a cast, and the broken part begins to heal. It's a medical term. (If you have the fifth Looney Tunes Golden Collection, you'll see it's the set-up for a fairly obvious visual gag in Bob Clampett's "Patient Porky".)

I still have no idea what "Guido and Fluffy" means, though.

6. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

When I first read the strip, thought the catburger was just a patty made out of cat food. Like the dog treats that look like "bacon"

Apparently "Lawsey, Lawsey, Lawsey" was an often-used phrase. I found a reference to it here

7. Totally_Insaney

Totally_Insaney what is this? i don't even

Your speculation of the catburger made me laugh so hard. When I first read the strip, I thought Jon called his normal burger patty a catburger, as in a burger made of cats, so that Garfield wouldn't eat it. Garfield isn't a cannibal, as far as we know.

8. mobo85

mobo85 This space for rent

I think the joke in the "Guido and Fluffy" strip is that while "Guido" is a tough-sounding name (or at least a name that sounds like a mobster), "Fluffy" is not. He's making fun of how bizarre the names sound together. "Guido and Vinnie?" Yeah, they sound like two tough guys. "Guido and...Fluffy?" Not so much.

"Wood-burning cat" is probably a play on "wood-burning stove," which is an old-timey term for a fireplace.

One of the Garfield strips that confused me as a kid was the one that ran on October 18, 1983, which interestingly enough is one that Davis says was one of his most popular of all time. It's actually a pretty clever comic if you get the reference- but not being familiar with Neil Sedaka as a kid, I just thought it was nonsense.

9. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

^This.

^And this.

[​IMG]
    ^IT'S A TRAP!

About the last strip: Garfield is the Spiral King.

10. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

I was in the same boat. I didn't make the connection until I heard the song on the radio, years after first reading the strip.

11. HomeMoviesFan

Looked that up. Even though I get the song reference, it's pretty damn stupid...

12. CheezNapkin

CheezNapkin Member

[​IMG]

I'm sorry, what?

This just confuses me to no end. It doesn't even seem like an actual strip.
    Was Jim just feeling lazy that day? Is it symbolizing something? Just...what the hell?!

13. HomeMoviesFan

Look at the shadows. The joke is that Garfield slept the entire day...

14. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Yeah, but the shadows do that in just about every "Garfield" comic. I know the gag gets resolved on Tuesday, but it's still a baffler if you only happen to see the Monday strip.

15. Jon Cooke

Jon Cooke GAC!

Never quite understood the "catburger" thing either. Assuming a "catburger" is some kind of cat treat and not a burger made of cats, I think what Davis going for was this: the plate with the "catburger" on it is Garfield's, not Jon's. Jon is sarcastically mocking Garfield for playing/attacking the food before eating it. I guess.

I am surprised THIS one didn't make the list. Never got the joke as a kid, but get it now, of course. Davis said in one of the anniversary collections that even HE was surprised he got away with it.

[​IMG]

16. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

I still don't quite get that one.

17. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

You have to read the following day's strip to get that:

[​IMG]

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

You're right, that should have made the list. I just forgot about it.

According to Davis he drew it as a practical joke on the syndicate and never expected it to go through without a single problem. "I combined drugs, sex and gambling into one strip...breaking a copyright law in the process."

It only got printed because it wasn't set up very well. It isn't breaking copyright to merely mention Barbie -- the doll on the street doesn't resemble her at all, so Mattel wouldn't care. Mentioning Atlantic City doesn't necessarily imply gambling either (and they can gamble in the comics, can't they?) And if he really wanted to imply sex, Farm Cat should have woken up next to ANOTHER CAT, not a dinky little doll.

19. Eleanor Hugbees

Lawsey sounds like a variation of Lordy that's rarely used. Kinda what "arse" is to the United States.

Guido and Fluffy are just stupid pet names. Would you feel threatened by someone named Fluffy? Guido is actually northeastern slang for stereotypical sleazy loser/ Italian poser. They were really popular at the time of the strip. What's next, Satan's name is actually Peaches?

I'm guessing the philosophical one was just a setup for a "dumb odie" punchline. I see things like that a lot in cartoons.

The wormhole thing, however, was shocking.

20. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

None of those comics featured Lyman. What is wrong with you? ;)